This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I for one do not accept that we need to rebuild for the long term just yet. In fact I fear there may be dire long term consequences for the club if we fail to win a Premiership with the current core group and with a Coach as astute as Ross Lyon.

I dread ending up like the Bulldogs under Malthouse, failing to win a Premiership and ultimately Malthouse went on to win 3 premierships elsewhere.

We've come frustratingly close with the current list as we know and aside from the last 2 years, there was 2005 as well when I believe we were like the Geelong of 2007 and were denied by injuries in the end.

I think we can have a genuine crack in 2012, but a number of things need to happen and a few things have to go right. Priority is our midfield, we move the ball too slowly between the arcs and there is the issue of clearances. Some of our midfield problems will be remedied by the return of Lenny and the emergence of Jack Steven. However skilful midfielders with footskills and footspeed need to be injected.

Our forward line also needs to be enhanced and I think we need the addition of a quality key/power forward.

At the moment, as much as we hate them, one has to admit that Collingwood (The Filth) are way ahead of the pack and will win the premiership this year in a canter bar a disaster. They are at least 6 goals better than anyone else at the moment. Although other teams will improve next year, I don't think anyone will go past the level they are at next year. So the benchmark is Collingwood this year plus 5%, that's where we need to get to to be a genuine contender next year.

The task is far from impossible, in fact I think we were further behind the benchmark in 2008, when the finals proved that Geelong and Hawthorn were about 10-12 goals ahead of us at the time. We bridged that gap in 2009 in a pre season, Lyon will have had more time this time around. So what do we need to do?

We need to two or three of Ledger, Cripps, Walsh, Lynch and Siposs to step up and be solid contributors. The signs from Lynch and Siposs have been good, both smart and skilful players and it is critical that we get games into them this year. I am convinced that Siposs is something special and could potentially add another dimension to our forward structure.

I think we will still need to trade or draft skilled outside runners with foot speed and foot skills.

There must be hard decisions in regard to Blake and Baker (who have made a magnificent contribution), Mc Qualter and a number of others who will not win us a premiership.

We will need to be fortunate and pull off a trade for a quality power forward. Gardiner if fit should be retained to save us trading for or drafting a back up for McEvoy.

Also the team needs to be revitalised between the ears and get over the psychological blows they have copped recently. They need to rekindle the zealous ferocity they had for each and every contest.

The task is far from impossible and I believe we have no choice other than to go for it.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's going to be very interesting to watch what the Saints do between October and December re delistings, trades and the draft..I hope they get it right...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It's going to be very interesting to watch what the Saints do between October and December re delistings, trades and the draft..I hope they get it right...
Between October & December,
May be a time to remember,
We all hope they get it right,
With not a single camera in sight! :wink:

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Oh sorry :oops: I thought this was a thread about the movie about the end of the world as we now it. :)

Actually it might be :?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the poster.
I think this core group (Roo, Fisher, Montagna, Dal, Len-dog, BJ, Peake, Gwilt) have one genuine final crack at it in 2012.

After that we are stuffed.

We need to find another player or for 2012.

spert
Saintsational Legend

In the case of Malthouse, I think it would be a lot easier for a coach to get a premiership walking into a cashed up club with huge resources such as Malthouse has done with Collingwood and WCE. As far as I'm concerned, we have done well with what we have but our recruiting and development has been below par for 10 years and I can only hope the tide turns for the next 10 years. There has been a history at St K of the tail wagging the dog and tough decisions avoided, so let's see if the club makes the necessary hard calls to get the direction and people right for another finals assault

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I agree with the poster.
I think this core group (Roo, Fisher, Montagna, Dal, Len-dog, BJ, Peake, Gwilt) have one genuine final crack at it in 2012.

not disagreeing with you but 10 weeks ago i reckon most would have been sure he was on the way out ... great turn around by peakey

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Have to keep planning for the mid to long term future, no matter what position you're in. This was the fatal mistake of Ken Sheldon, and if the 2010 crop of players (Cripps, Siposs, Crocker, Walsh, Curren, Ferguson, and Ledger) don't come through with flying colours, then we may see a repeat of 1993 to 1996. However, I think they're a good crop and will serve us well. 2006 to 2009 were pretty bleak at the draft table for the Saints. Gee, if we'd only picked up three more decent youngsters during that period, we'd be much stronger today.

I say the club sticks with all young draftees unless they can secure a big ruckman/forward like Clarke from Brisbane with an early pick or player trade. Even so, they should only trade for one player and use their remaining picks on youngsters. Grant Thomas, although he had his faults, only traded for players who could give the club 100 games and could play a key role, rather than bit-part (eg Gehrig and Penny) . Please, I don't want to hear another Thomas bashing session again - it's boring.

The key to true success is being in the finals year in, year out. That ensures members stay on board, and encourages new supporters jumping on.

Ross Lyon got heavily involved with our recruiting last year, after being very dismayed with the efforts of his recruiting staff in previous years, and it paid off. Let's hope he does again. I noticed he was sitting on his own at the under 18 championships, taking notes. If the club can recruit as well as they did last year, then the future may not be as bleak as some on this forum seem to think.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I agree with the poster.

I think this group has more than one crack left but we have to draft well and hopefully pick up either a experienced quality key foward or rocg/ foward.
I think we will see a number of delistings, and hopfully the draft will be used to pick up some players that can actually dispose of the ball properly to a teamate and not butcher like some do. We need goalkickers and less defenders/ or dour taggers.

I love this club
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We need a real ruckman to support McEvoy

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm still interested in 2011,
2012 comes and we could lose another star for the year…
2012 comes and maybe Riewoldt, Montagna, Dal Santos best footy id behind them.

Don't look too far ahead, enjoy that we are still in it this year - we may not be next year.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Forget 2012!

We can win it this year!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.