I'm starting my own "I love Gamble thread".

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Whats your actual point....

Am i the first person person to mention somebody by their first name on this forum???possibly not that unbelievable, as i was his pe teacher and knew him for 5 years and in that time and i rarely referred to him as siposs...

I have counted numerous occasions just now, where people have referred to riewoldt as Nick, fisher as Sam....d
As i said, dont see your point....it is dumb
A pathetic attempt to ridicule, which is just cheap......as i said, i play against snipers

BTW .... Apology for what

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Whats your actual point....

Am i the first person person to mention somebody by their first name on this forum???possibly not that unbelievable, as i was his pe teacher and knew him for 5 years and in that time and i rarely referred to him as siposs...

I have counted numerous occasions just now, where people have referred to riewoldt as Nick, fisher as Sam....d
A pathetic attempt to ridicule, which is just cheap......as i said, i play against snipers

Mate your a pole smoker ...lets just leave it at that !! :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Whats your actual point....

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:
This is the third actual contender we have played in the last Seven games

Contenders in the top 8

Collingwood.....loss
Geelong.....2 losses
Hawthorn.....loss
Carlton......loss
West coast.....????
Sydeny........????
Fremantle.......win. (no sandilands, their record withot him his hideous)
Essendon.......loss

One win from Seven

If Essendon are a contender then so are North, Melbourne and the Dogs
Add 3 wins and perhaps mention that 2 losses were under a goal…

Are you suggesting there's an alternative view to that espoused by BM?

Come on.

Surely you jest.

As you can see from another thread above I'm not the only person who thinks along the same line , most people have an opinion but you seem to state fact in every post .. !! :wink: :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:You have just asked who went from ordinary to good at 23
I will concede though that I'm sure it happens, but probably even less so after being rejected from another club, where there is usually a good reason for the delisting…
How about being behind the likes of SJ and Varcoe for his role in the senior team... place on the list more valuable for developing an 18-year old.

It does happen from time to time... one club is overstocked on a player type that another is short of.

Something that has cost Geelong a few quality players lately... Mumford, Djerrkura, Laidler.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
I will concede though that I'm sure it happens, but probably even less so after being rejected from another club, where there is usually a good reason for the delisting…
How about being behind the likes of SJ and Varcoe for his role in the senior team... place on the list more valuable for developing an 18-year old.

It does happen from time to time... one club is overstocked on a player type that another is short of.

Something that has cost Geelong a few quality players lately... Mumford, Djerrkura, Laidler.
Sure, I just think it's very rare for any club to let a decent player go for nought. Mumford they wanted to keep - he walked. Djerrkura & Laidler have been in & out of their new clubs too…
At pick 90, it's fair to say that ANY other club could have picked him up before us. He is a project type selection, I don't mind those, I just don't want game time wasted in front of our younger guys if he isn't the future for us… which I can't see him being - at the moment.
I'm not anti-gamble, I genuinly hope he comes on and is a star, I just want to see him play well consistently against the best before I a have any confidence.

Hope he goes well tomorrow!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
dragit wrote:

Sure, I just think it's very rare for any club to let a decent player go for nought. Mumford they wanted to keep - he walked. Djerrkura & Laidler have been in & out of their new clubs too…
At pick 90, it's fair to say that ANY other club could have picked him up before us. He is a project type selection, I don't mind those, I just don't want game time wasted in front of our younger guys if he isn't the future for us… which I can't see him being - at the moment.
I'm not anti-gamble, I genuinly hope he comes on and is a star, I just want to see him play well consistently against the best before I a have any confidence.

Hope he goes well tomorrow!
So are your expectations of a 'good' performance from him greater than those of a 'Siposs' or a 'Lynch' or a 'Walsh' or a 'Johnson'?

From what you're posting I get the impression that you'd accept a lesser performance from a youngster, selected much higher in the darft, than you would from a Gamble taken with pick 90?

I expect him to produce what a 'pick 90' would be expected to produce.
IMO he's getting a game because we currently don't have a better option to select in the position the coaching panel want him to play in.

I think last week's output (4 goals) probably far exceeded the coaching panel's expectations of him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Correct...whe deserves his spot...rigjt now, lately our draw has opened up, giving us a few wins

Just not so sure that him and polo will be that heful against the big guns....they have had years to make an i pact

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Funnily enough, aside from the ordinary to good debate, mart and I agree here...
Yes I do expect more from a 23 year old, with 5-6 years in the system and 30+ games experience than I do from a first or second year player with 2 games experience. When lynch has played over 30 games, I will probably form an opinion on how much up-side he may have, but until then I don't think we'll know.
Sure, gamble is doing what a pick 90 should do, in & out of the side, inconsistent so far. He and polo are back-ups, and both are doing their job to the best of their abilities. With more pre-seasons into cripps, siposs & co, I think they'll be ahead if gamble as early as next year, just an opinion - no hard feelings.
FWIW - I think Johnson has been unlucky, he has done more at VFL than gamble so far, and I think Ross has backed gambles experience over him. You can't develop experience if you don't get picked and you do need some patience in a young players first 20 games.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

my opinion from games I have attended VFL; Gamble versus Johnson, is that Gamble provides better one on one contest and creates opportunity, where Johnson provides better tall target on the lead option. look at Gamble''s last two game stats on contested ball, you will find they are pretty good. one afternoon I saw Gamble use remarkable skill on the wing at Sandy to paddle the ball away from danger and kick smartly. I think Gamble has genuine ability only thing missing is self belief.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches