How many Cultures do the Saints cover

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:its interesting isnt it
the race thing

you get too easily labeled a racist when you are not even saying a racist comment.

its like the indigenous players want to be treated the same as everyone else, and too bloody right, they have a different colored skin, thats all, we all have different colored skin ffs
but then we get a whole dreamtime round celebrating the indigenous players??

now i like the round, it can raise awareness to how a race of people has been completely mistreated by other races, but mainly its a marketing ploy by the league

so if wanting to be treated the same as all people, no matter our skin color, whats the big hoopla over indig round??

not exactly 'just being treated normal is it'

go ahead and label me a racist
some pratt at work did :roll:
No pretty fair assessment. I have an irish surname but I know I also have English and German direct ancestors as well.

So what? In todays Australia who cares.

I think ind round is a little bit more than a marketing ploy though.

Aborigines are overrepresented at the top level of Aussie Rules with about 10% of AFL players being aboriginal where the general population is about 3%.

The AFL has been at the forefront tackling racism brought about by racism hurled toward aboriginal players like Winmar and Long.

We can see the results at the revulsion towards racism towards Majak Daw and the backlash towards Maguire when he used the race card for his own advantage and belittled the seriousness of the issue.

I think it is a good concept and the AFL should be applauded.

As for you being racist - hogwash. You can have an opinion on a concept that involves aborigines without being racist.

Obviously the guy at work has about as much concept on racism as does Maguire.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Austinnn
Club Player

stinger wrote:
matrix wrote:its interesting isnt it
the race thing

you get too easily labeled a racist when you are not even saying a racist comment.

its like the indigenous players want to be treated the same as everyone else, and too bloody right, they have a different colored skin, thats all, we all have different colored skin ffs
but then we get a whole dreamtime round celebrating the indigenous players??

now i like the round, it can raise awareness to how a race of people has been completely mistreated by other races, but mainly its a marketing ploy by the league

so if wanting to be treated the same as all people, no matter our skin color, whats the big hoopla over indig round??

not exactly 'just being treated normal is it'

go ahead and label me a racist
some pratt at work did :roll:
no...fair comment..imho....but i actually don't see much wrong with the concept......
It's difficult to balance the idea of equality with the recognition of a particular group of people who have traditionally been marginalised and mistreated.

The AFL probably wants to encourage more aborginal involvement in the sport - nothing wrong with that. Their market reserch might have indicated that they get low interest from the Indiginous community, or perhaps they see increased involvement in sport as a way of empowering the Indiginous community and giving it a 'leg up'.

I think the AFL's modern stance on Aboriginal affairs is leading the way around the country, it has been commended from within the community and I think it should be congratulated.

As to Matrix's point, it IS marketing and if it can bring encourage indiginous people to get into the sport, then it's the kind of marketing I like. The same is true of the Women's Round, or the Mother's round, or whatever it is. Expect more of that down the track. It's a bit tokenist and it grates a bit, but on the other hand, it's inclusionist and that is one of the things that is so great about Australia.

In particular the AFL, with the Salary Cap, its involvement in Indigious communities, the encouragement of families and hard line on prejudice must surely be one of the most balanced and eglitarian organisations in the world. This is a good thing.

Maybe I should change my signature to "another bloody speech"!

EDIT: After just reading Joffaboy's post, I thought it necessary to mention that I was talking about AFL trying to increase Indiginous involvement on a Supporter level, not just a Player level.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:Arn't we all Australian? why must we cont too label players by the color of there skin or the spelling of there surname or how they pray at the end of the day

What next a round too celebrate player's with blonde hair????

just more PC Crap that the AFL seem too love

a Footballer is a footballer is a footballer and long may it be so
Agree. Marketers s*** me.

BTW I reckon Polo might be Maltese.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'