Raph Clarke King of 1%'s

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
SainterK wrote:He turned it over 3 times against Port, only two players had less turnovers (Roo 2, Gilbert 2) with 9 players having as many as 6+.

He is 5th overall this year for turnovers per game.
Raph's turnovers come from broken play or counter attack...run with nobody really applying pressure until he literally runs at the opponent in a feeble attempt to draw and continue to run.

Gilbert has been down all year however has runs on the board.

Riewoldt makes mistakes as others do.
Did you actually watch the game? One of those turnovers was because not ONE player worked hard to get into space, let alone work for him down the line. Only option was to kick to a 50/50 which was turned over. Goddard made just as many clangers if not more then raph and if we could carry a blake who dd the defensive work but turned it over in the past 3 yars then perhaps we could use raph as a pure defensive player.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

have i taken that into account disgusting???

well obviously he has been the sub
we all know that
the blokes had 9 clangers in 8 games

3 of those games he didnt have one at all
disposal efficiency is always above 70 percent
who cares how long he plays for
what does he do when he plays is what matters

and from going back thru the basic stats on the afl site of all his games played its not that bad
and im not paying for pro stats for the last 8 games of the season to find the decent stats the coaches use

he gets ridden hard by those on here
yet he is not bad at all i dont think

only thing that s***s me is that two minds thing when he is running forward, but he prob has instructions to do a certain thing and not do a certain thing.
summing it up in a split second means you are more than likely to be under pressure in todays game.

i like him in the side

8-)

Batnoe
Club Player

I like Raph, i think he is a good player but his lacantic running style makes him look as though he is lost in headlights

However, on the 1 % stat he has only had 16 for the year

People say Dawson doesnt do much he has had 98

Carn Saints
starsign
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
St DAC wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Mate, SP2008 or reincarnated or whatever your previously banned nic were, you haven't improved in your absence.
Is he that pratt? :shock:
Apparently so.
Ah the old "born again proctologist" eh?
Anus painus excruciatus himself
thought these posts had a familiar ring to them!!

Zac Attack
Club Player

Solar wrote:
Zac Attack wrote:
SainterK wrote:He turned it over 3 times against Port, only two players had less turnovers (Roo 2, Gilbert 2) with 9 players having as many as 6+.

He is 5th overall this year for turnovers per game.
Raph's turnovers come from broken play or counter attack...run with nobody really applying pressure until he literally runs at the opponent in a feeble attempt to draw and continue to run.

Gilbert has been down all year however has runs on the board.

Riewoldt makes mistakes as others do.
Did you actually watch the game? One of those turnovers was because not ONE player worked hard to get into space, let alone work for him down the line. Only option was to kick to a 50/50 which was turned over. Goddard made just as many clangers if not more then raph and if we could carry a blake who dd the defensive work but turned it over in the past 3 yars then perhaps we could use raph as a pure defensive player.
There were multiple instances were he ran at an opponent and had another player (memory Gram...yey) to his left or right ready for the dish off to continue the movement. Raph stopped, propped, tried to get around the opposition and then gave off a handball that missed the target by miles.

He does this every game and looks like a goose. It is so predictable.

These clangers/stuff ups should be highlighted because they are uncontested and not in similar pressure situations like our midfield/small forward.

Clint Jones has below average disposal by foot but someone finds a way to dish off when necessary and/or draw the opposition to continue running. It can and should be done simply even with players who have limited talents.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Believe it or not Zac Attack makes valid critisisms of Raph.

Raph looks like a gun in the VFl where he has that extra second or so for a decision. Seems he cant do that in the AFl where, even with a team like Port, the pressure is more intense.

His defense is fine, spoiling, blocking, smothering etc, his use of the ball still leaves a lot to be desired.

More than just clangers, he tends not to choose the right option and not put the ball to advantage, especially by hand.

Maybe Raph needs to be told to never handball the thing ever again. His kicking seems to be OK, his handball seems to be sub par.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Hospital passes - Raph's specialty - aren't countered as clangers. His turnovers are not nearly as much an issue as his ability to put teammates under pressure.

We all want Raph to do well, but his ineffectualness against top 14 teams is a issue. Against top eight teams, or any team that applies a modicum of pressure, Raph finds it difficult.

Hopefully he finishes the year averaging 20+ quality touches and being a big part of the team, but I'd feel more comfortable if he wasn't in the 22 comes finals time. I feel like he and Dempster are competing for the same spot, and ultimately, Dempster gets the nod from me.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

This season is the hardest on record for guys like Gram and Raph as there is often no one to kick to in space. Gram is really struggling for what ever reason while Peake seems to have got better with less time to over think. The loss of Lenny has highlighted how lazy we are as a team because he would bust a gut to make it to space for the guy left holding the ball. If Armo and Steven can get a bit of spreading for their team mates they will become top tier players.

That piece of play where Raph was trying to kick to just past the centre square and no one ran for him made me think the rest of the team didn't want to win. Raph can have his out standing games and can do the odd bit of poor decision making, I would still have him in my 22 unless he looks like he is struggling, at the moment he looks ok.

To the top
SS Life Member

I drove down Tapleys Hill Road, past Grange Golf Club and turned left to park in a reserved area adjacent to West Lakes - which is my privilege when I return to Adelaide.

I sat in the Member's Reserve (the lake and Gulf side) with a group of mates, a couple St Kilda supporters from Melbourne there as my guests, some nuetral because I was there and 2 mates who follow Port Adelaide (actually played for Port Adelaide in the SANFL too many years ago).

Now, I do not know where some commenting on here sat yesterday afternoon at West Lakes but they were obviously not watching the same game we were.

Clarke played very well, and as the opening item suggests, contributed very well off the ball as well.

He chopped Ebert right out, and Port Adelaide were looking to Ebert to impose himself because he is one of their prime attacking players.

Port Adelaide got nothing from Ebert.

For the majority of the first term, Port Adelaide could not get into attack so our defenders saw very little of the ball.

Their dominance of the ruck taps evened the contested ball situations after that - and our defence had to work.

They held up well, even allowing for the older Cornes distracting Fisher and Schultz looming but fortunately not impacting significantly.

I would also repeat that West Lakes is a very, very difficult ground to play when the wind rips in - as it did yesterday.

The shot of Riewoldt which held up then curved back in on the wind for a goal was an amazing kick.

It died mid flight, turned at right angles and snuck inside the unattended right hand goal post.

Caught everyone out of position - but that is what can happen.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: He os slow to make a dision
Do you really expect anyone to take notice of your posts?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Believe it or not Zac Attack makes valid critisisms of Raph.

Raph looks like a gun in the VFl where he has that extra second or so for a decision. Seems he cant do that in the AFl where, even with a team like Port, the pressure is more intense.

His defense is fine, spoiling, blocking, smothering etc, his use of the ball still leaves a lot to be desired.

More than just clangers, he tends not to choose the right option and not put the ball to advantage, especially by hand.

Maybe Raph needs to be told to never handball the thing ever again. His kicking seems to be OK, his handball seems to be sub par.
Raph plays exactly the same whether Saints or Sandy and the pressure is no different. He is excellent at both levels. However, many are so intent on Raph making a mistake, that they make up the mistakes.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I disagree Bernie, he makes mistakes, just (on the weekend) no more or less than anyone else.

He just appears to run around with an oversized target on his back.

When he makes more than anyone else, then sure it should be highlighted, but not after a game like that.

Zac Attack
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Believe it or not Zac Attack makes valid critisisms of Raph.

Raph plays exactly the same whether Saints or Sandy and the pressure is no different. He is excellent at both levels. However, many are so intent on Raph making a mistake, that they make up the mistakes.
What on earth?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote: He still sold teamates into trouble on countless occassions .
well...seeing you can't add one and one....guess it wasn't all that many..... :roll:
Last edited by stinger on Mon 11 Jul 2011 11:31pm, edited 2 times in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Mate, SP2008 or reincarnated or whatever your previously banned nic were, you haven't improved in your absence.
Is he that pratt? :shock:
yep...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I drove down Tapleys Hill Road, past Grange Golf Club and turned left to park in a reserved area adjacent to West Lakes - which is my privilege when I return to Adelaide.

I sat in the Member's Reserve (the lake and Gulf side) with a group of mates, a couple St Kilda supporters from Melbourne there as my guests, some nuetral because I was there and 2 mates who follow Port Adelaide (actually played for Port Adelaide in the SANFL too many years ago).

Now, I do not know where some commenting on here sat yesterday afternoon at West Lakes but they were obviously not watching the same game we were.

Clarke played very well, and as the opening item suggests, contributed very well off the ball as well.

He chopped Ebert right out, and Port Adelaide were looking to Ebert to impose himself because he is one of their prime attacking players.

Port Adelaide got nothing from Ebert.

For the majority of the first term, Port Adelaide could not get into attack so our defenders saw very little of the ball.

Their dominance of the ruck taps evened the contested ball situations after that - and our defence had to work.

They held up well, even allowing for the older Cornes distracting Fisher and Schultz looming but fortunately not impacting significantly.

I would also repeat that West Lakes is a very, very difficult ground to play when the wind rips in - as it did yesterday.

The shot of Riewoldt which held up then curved back in on the wind for a goal was an amazing kick.

It died mid flight, turned at right angles and snuck inside the unattended right hand goal post.

Caught everyone out of position - but that is what can happen.
thanks for your input...and insight.... 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
i do..so don't speak for me..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
i do..so don't speak for me..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
You never enter my mind stinker.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I disagree Bernie, he makes mistakes, just (on the weekend) no more or less than anyone else.

He just appears to run around with an oversized target on his back.

When he makes more than anyone else, then sure it should be highlighted, but not after a game like that.
I didn't say he doesn't make mistakes, just that many so called mistakes are figments of peoples imaginations.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately Raph,

Like gram, fiora a while back, anf many before him.....is a whipping boy for a reason....

People didnt just decide all of a sudden to start bagging him over nothing, seriously.....he earned a poor reputation due to his habit of making glaring, critical errors....Supporters got very frustrated with him.

He also has failed to deliver on expectations as a draftee....i, like others thought he was a steal ay pick #8.....when anyone thinks that, we are talking serious talent....so he has been a source of disappointment, given his potential (like Kosi), and like kosi
This has Been due to a variey of reasons....injury definotely one.

He does F***Up a lot.....that is there for eveyone to see.....but it is way over the top at times (like gram) and often people only see his mistakes....and worse, refuse to acknowledge his good acts...

He rarely loses one on one.....he reads the play well....he is very courageous....he has clean hands...and can be a creative playmaker off hb

But

His decision making is poor at times, his execution can be woeful....and his confidence in his own ability to be offensive and deliver is zero.....
Nearly all in his head....

If he ever got his mind right....he would be in our top 6....he has that much natural ability.....too many scars now i reckons...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Watch a Collingwood game and have a look at the disposal and decsion making of the much hyped pairing of Harry O and Maxwell. Time and time again the randomly just shank it out of defence in any way they can. Raph would in al honesty be far better off in the medias eyes to take two steps and just boot it or boot it off the ground in the same way they choose to.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Watch a Collingwood game and have a look at the disposal and decsion making of the much hyped pairing of Harry O and Maxwell. Time and time again the randomly just shank it out of defence in any way they can. Raph would in al honesty be far better off in the medias eyes to take two steps and just boot it or boot it off the ground in the same way they choose to.

Their instructions are to move it directly and quickly and to back their teammate to win the contest.

Agree about Raphael. He thinks too much. Just trust your instincts, son.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Watch a Collingwood game and have a look at the disposal and decsion making of the much hyped pairing of Harry O and Maxwell. Time and time again the randomly just shank it out of defence in any way they can. Raph would in al honesty be far better off in the medias eyes to take two steps and just boot it or boot it off the ground in the same way they choose to.

Their instructions are to move it directly and quickly and to back their teammate to win the contest.

Agree about Raphael. He thinks too much. Just trust your instincts, son.

hotdish
Club Player

how good was raph tonight!!!

:lol: 8-) :P

battye
Saintsational Legend

I really liked his game, how about that goal in the first? :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD