Raph Clarke King of 1%'s

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Raph Clarke King of 1%'s

Amazes me Raphs ability to spoil, smother get a hand on a loose ball and put preasure on his opponent. If he was playing in Collingwoods side he would receive far greater recognition as he could get get it and boot it forward like Maxwell, Toovey and Harry O.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stkfc1
Club Player

Yeah noticed the same thing yesterday, and he does those things alot. His didsposal isn't always on song (but he ain't alone there) but at least he tries to get the ball moving forward,don't see him looking to go backwards to often.
The other thing I noticed is that he always seems to be on the rough end of a shonky disposal or a ball tumbling at right angles when he's trying to pick it up. He seems to be one of thoses players who tries his guts out but little things don't go his way.I know people like to bag him on here but he's wearing a saints jumper so he only gets my support.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But he got caught holding the ball once, so he should be delisted, isn't that the usual chorus?

Regardless of what Clarke does, he will get attacked mercilessly. He was very good yesterday, and what you point out is true, but try tellig that to the haters on here.

No player is above critisism, and I have stated I think Raph may not be up to it at AFL level, but credit where credit is due, just like Ryan Gamble.

Good OP.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I maintain he had a good game yesterday.

Beat his opponent Ebert, managed to get a bit of the ball himself, did all those team things that will not go unnoticed by the coaching staff, flew the flag for Fisher when Cornes was giving him a hard time.

Wasn't his best game, but completely fine IMO.

Don't particularly care about a couple of errant handballs.

I'd just encourage him this week to kick it rather than handpass, he is a good kick. I'd tell all the defenders that, WCE will love it otherwise.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He can compete with his man ok

Seem scared with the ball......petrified of making a mistake.

He os slow to make a dision, because he waits for the safest and easiest option......

Zac Attack
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:But he got caught holding the ball once, so he should be delisted, isn't that the usual chorus?

Regardless of what Clarke does, he will get attacked mercilessly. He was very good yesterday, and what you point out is true, but try tellig that to the haters on here.

No player is above critisism, and I have stated I think Raph may not be up to it at AFL level, but credit where credit is due, just like Ryan Gamble.

Good OP.
He still sold teamates into trouble on countless occassions when we had a bit of a run on through the middle. He attempts to attract the opposition to then dish it off however it never ever works and the forward motion is stunted. Then an errant handball is dished off and a potential turnover.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

To me Raph is a role filler. He does his job without much flair or fan fare. He works hard and does the good things that the coaches and his team mates notice but not nessicarily the average "fan" will pick up.

He was solid yesterday and went about his buisness.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:He still sold teamates into trouble on countless occassions .
Countless???

Hyperbole much?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Zac Attack
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Countless???

Hyperbole much?
Lack of a response to the ideaology behind my post so you take the typical Joffaboy road of attempting to poke into a poster's grammatical efforts.

Well done.

He turns it over frequently and sells other players into trouble all under the guise of attempting to look clever.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think BigMart may have got Raph confused with Dempster.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Countless???

Hyperbole much?
Lack of a response to the ideaology behind my post so you take the typical Joffaboy road of attempting to poke into a poster's grammatical efforts.

Well done.

He turns it over frequently and sells other players into trouble all under the guise of attempting to look clever.
Wasn't a poke at your grammatical errors at all, just your absolutionist wording - countless - FFS, only if you cant count past two or three :roll:

Mate, SP2008 or reincarnated or whatever your previously banned nic were, you haven't improved in your absence.

Maybe when you are in forceed retirement again soon you will rethink your hyperbole and sweeping generalisations and actually contribute to the discourse.

unfortunately you are falling back into your old habits of trolling and jacking threads. Try to add to the debate by considered opinions.

Nobody says you have to agree with an OP, but you do yourself no favours with statements like "countless turnovers" etc, and then play the man when it is highlighted.

See if you can improve. Some of your comments are worthy and you could really add to this forum.

I dont see you as a troll like St.Nick, you seem to be a genuine Saints man, but why get everyone offside all the time unless you want to incite?

cheers.

Lance or James??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I can remember once when he handballed or kicked backwards but missed Jimmy in the defensive 50, but I'm honestly struggling to remember another SP2008?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Raph is a guy I've really wanted to see prosper, he's exactly what we need. An outside runner. For me though, his confidence looks shot and to be honest, it has been for the majority of his career. Truth is I can't hardly remember him doing 'great things' cos I'm so use to him fumbling about, getting caught or selling a team mate into trouble. I actually liked him the week before coming in as the sub when the game wasn't as hot and he had a bit more time.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:Mate, SP2008 or reincarnated or whatever your previously banned nic were, you haven't improved in your absence.
Is he that pratt? :shock:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Mate, SP2008 or reincarnated or whatever your previously banned nic were, you haven't improved in your absence.
Is he that pratt? :shock:
Apparently so.

Lance or James??

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:Apparently so.
So I can expect him to be banned soon then. :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Good call and it's his defensive side that keeps him in the side. Makes just as many mistakes as the other backman but unlike most knows how to spoil when in the contest.

Still believe if he had 6-10 games in a row he would improve out of sight.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

raph
2011 averages for 8 games played

8.8 disp
4.9 kick
3.1 mark
3.9 handball
1.9 tackle
0.2 free for
0.5 free against
0.2 hitouts
no contested marks
0.4 first poss
0.2 clearances
0.8 inside 50
2.0 rebound 50
3.2 contested poss
6.2 uncontested poss
3.6 one percenters

had a season high disposal against port (16)
season high kicks against port (10)
season high marks against port (6)
season high contested possessions against port (6)
season high 1 percenters against port (6)

f****** disgusting

:roll:

Zac Attack
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Zac Attack wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Countless???

Hyperbole much?

Well done.

Wasn't a poke at your grammatical errors at all, just your absolutionist wording - countless - FFS, only if you cant count past two or three :roll:

Mate, SP2008 or reincarnated or whatever your previously banned nic were, you haven't improved in your absence.

Maybe when you are in forceed retirement again soon you will rethink your hyperbole and sweeping generalisations and actually contribute to the discourse.

unfortunately you are falling back into your old habits of trolling and jacking threads. Try to add to the debate by considered opinions.

Nobody says you have to agree with an OP, but you do yourself no favours with statements like "countless turnovers" etc, and then play the man when it is highlighted.

See if you can improve. Some of your comments are worthy and you could really add to this forum.

I dont see you as a troll like St.Nick, you seem to be a genuine Saints man, but why get everyone offside all the time unless you want to incite?

cheers.
Oh stop using big words. Only I may do that.

Fact is that Raph turns the ball over many times during a match through poor disposal or selling teamates into trouble.

Surely in any other work environment a person that does not do his or her job remotely effectively gets fired. How he has taken what would probably be 240,000 annually (average afl wage) from this football club for producing one half of decent football against the dogs in the 09 prelim astounds me.

I understand your point regarding the generalisations etc however in this instance the majority of Raph's output is below AFL-standrd.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Zac Attack wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Countless???

Hyperbole much?

Well done.

cheers.
Oh stop using big words. Only I may do that.

Fact is that Raph turns the ball over many times during a match through poor disposal or selling teamates into trouble.

Surely in any other work environment a person that does not do his or her job remotely effectively gets fired. How he has taken what would probably be 240,000 annually (average afl wage) from this football club for producing one half of decent football against the dogs in the 09 prelim astounds me.

I understand your point regarding the generalisations etc however in this instance the majority of Raph's output is below AFL-standrd.
Pretty much. There's a reason why he is in and out of the team and cops loads of criticism from Saints and opposition fans alike. It's not like Raph's detractors 'have it in for him' like some on here think.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He turned it over 3 times against Port, only two players had less turnovers (Roo 2, Gilbert 2) with 9 players having as many as 6+.

He is 5th overall this year for LEAST turnovers per game.
Last edited by SainterK on Mon 11 Jul 2011 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

9 clangers in 8 games

ffs drop him now!!

:roll:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I see Matrix has posted Raphs averages for 8 games played. Last week he had a whole 13 minutes on the field. Another game less than half. Have you taken that into account?
Last edited by borderbarry on Mon 11 Jul 2011 1:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zac Attack
Club Player

SainterK wrote:He turned it over 3 times against Port, only two players had less turnovers (Roo 2, Gilbert 2) with 9 players having as many as 6+.

He is 5th overall this year for turnovers per game.
Raph's turnovers come from broken play or counter attack...run with nobody really applying pressure until he literally runs at the opponent in a feeble attempt to draw and continue to run.

Gilbert has been down all year however has runs on the board.

Riewoldt makes mistakes as others do.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
SainterK wrote:He turned it over 3 times against Port, only two players had less turnovers (Roo 2, Gilbert 2) with 9 players having as many as 6+.

He is 5th overall this year for turnovers per game.
Raph's turnovers come from broken play or counter attack...run with nobody really applying pressure until he literally runs at the opponent in a feeble attempt to draw and continue to run.

Gilbert has been down all year however has runs on the board.

Riewoldt makes mistakes as others do.
I made a typing error, Raph is 5th for least turnovers per game.