Time for Offense

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Time for Offense

Watching us today we are still a superior defensive outfit. Elite at this level as a defensive minded side, capable of mixing it with the best.....we just can't attack for shyte.

IF we could put these two halves of the game together over the off season I truly believe we have the cattle for another shot.

Even drew comments today as to how "organised" defensively we are .....we still looked laborious at times trying to attack.....I truly believe this is Ross's achilles.....he needs to inject an "offensive' coach into the ranks - not just another line coach but a coach whose sole role is ball transition via all lines. Im not advocating dropping defensive measures by any stretch but you can see the best sides do what we do defensively and then simply in a burst of football put the gane beyond most sides with an attacking blitz few can handle. We can and should aspire to this IMO - clealry this is where the game has gone.

It an old adage but true; 1 they have it, 2. we have it, 3. its in dispute.

We do 1 very well....3 we used to do so well but have dropped off and 2 IMHO we've never really got the most from our usage/attacking game style while at the same time "balancing" that with knowing when to defend. Time to boost 2 for me and become unstoppable.

In terms of what we need to do this....an emerging, line breaking mid was what we craved...Steven has stepped up. An emerging ruck (will still need support) has stepped in...now what we need is 1 or 2 more line breakers with foot skills and we are a serious show. Ledger WILL be 1 of these.... hope Cripss is the other. A genuine contested fwd presence is also vital....see Collingwood....

I just reckon we also need that attacking mindset in the box....an "offensive" coach.....to be the "Yang" in Lyons defensive "Ying'

Thoughts?

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

That's what I love about Siposs. He's a naturally offensive player. Adds a bit of x-factor to our forward line.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:That's what I love about Siposs. He's a naturally offensive player. Adds a bit of x-factor to our forward line.
he is exciting - i just want to see his defensive fwd game more but no doubt, he gets the footy in his hands 3 times......= 3 goals. For that alone he could becmone deadly. He could also become someone who only touches it on occasions and fades.....that we dont want.

I love mercurial......but I like it more with some consistency and discipline to team structures and I understand its hard to get both...

“Yeah….nah””
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Old Mate wrote:That's what I love about Siposs. He's a naturally offensive player. Adds a bit of x-factor to our forward line.
he is exciting - i just want to see his defensive fwd game more but no doubt, he gets the footy in his hands 3 times......= 3 goals. For that alone he could becmone deadly. He could also become someone who only touches it on occasions and fades.....that we dont want.

I love mercurial......but I like it more with some consistency and discipline to team structures and I understand its hard to get both...
Sipposs may just be that ,X factor in a foward line next year. He can certainly kick a goal. If he gets another preseason behind him and a shyte load of work in the gym he will be good for us.

I love this club
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually think it isn't a Siposs type forward that we need more a second speedier small. Milne and Schnieder seemed to be a great combo for the 09 season but Schnieds got used away from goal more in 10. I would love a Tungatalum type who can just freak a few and wind the side up. Malcolm Lynch or Brad Dick might be handy. Siposs will always snag the goals he shoots at but he is more a small KPP and probably a couple of years from being a regular.