Dean Polo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint tash
Club Player

Thought we would have learnt getting duds from the Tuggers after Pattison.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Polo is a different player to Armo.
In that he gets less of the ball, wastes it and doesn't go in as hard?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
maverick wrote: Polo is a different player to Armo.
In that he gets less of the ball, wastes it and doesn't go in as hard?
I give you wastes it, and happy to debate goes in hard, but gets less of the ball is not possible.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes.....polo is different

He is hopeless.......bit aside from that, both are midfielders.....unless of course we are pigeon holing that midfelders can only perform 1 function....

Good vfl player.....like eddy, mini....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Let the guy have a season at the club to rate him, he needs to play 4 quarters but he does a few ok things, he is going better than a few at the moment. I don't mind the way he goes at the footy, he dishes it quickly off and usually out to one of our players. He is half a Lenny -if you cut the top off Polo and the bottom off Armo and joined them, does any one know a surgeon?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yep, strange selection picking him up. Gamble I can understand. Picked at pick 90 and we needed a mid sized forward. Polo just seems like a bloke that doesn't have a position. And he's so awkward. He takes forever to put the ball on his boot when in traffic. Just another unskilled player on our list.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

I thought armo as sub may have been purely a rotational issue given that this is his first interrupted AFL (or at any level?) season. Well that's what I'm telling myself as he is surely not the 22nd best player on that team list. Polo-> I was hoping but he's just not delivering.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Armitage had 9 touches an three score invovements in 40 mins.......he should be a part of the midfield rotation......
I agree but you get the feel its now a case of his ability to spread from a contest. Steven wins the ball.....and can leave congestion relatively quickly....Armo is a "hit it hard and handball" type mid in exact mould of Ball......you get the feel Lyon wants both things.

Hayes does both very well.

Im not sure of their plans for Armo but Id love to see him work on his "outside" game some more cause i reckon hes got that attributes to be quite an attacking mid.....love to see hgim run/carry some more.

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
BigMart wrote:Armitage had 9 touches an three score invovements in 40 mins.......he should be a part of the midfield rotation......
I agree but you get the feel its now a case of his ability to spread from a contest. Steven wins the ball.....and can leave congestion relatively quickly....Armo is a "hit it hard and handball" type mid in exact mould of Ball......you get the feel Lyon wants both things.

Im not sure of their plans for Armo but Id love to see him work on his "outside" game some more cause i reckon hes got that attributes to be quiet an attacking mid.....love to see hgim run/carry some more.
If that is the case then I get the feeling that Armo could have a productive career for another team. I think Ross is a bit inflexible in his expectations of players. Armo, like Ball could be a productive mid if given the opportunity in the correct position.

When Armo came on he certainly impacted the contest. Won some hard ball, tackled and got plenty of it in just over a quarter of footy. More than say, Clarke or Polo.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What would your expectations of Polo be, he isn't a 30 possie mid but he gets the ball out and does get to a heap of contests. I still hold out hope for him to become a solid Farren Ray type spare mid/utility that can fill the gaps and get his 15 to 20 possessions. It's pretty hard to break into a new team and make an instant impact.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I actually reckon Armo is the perfect sub type player. When fresh he hits contests hard and lays bone crushing tackles. He seems to tire quickly though and drift out of the game. I reckon playing him as a sub was a good move.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I actually reckon Armo is the perfect sub type player. When fresh he hits contests hard and lays bone crushing tackles. He seems to tire quickly though and drift out of the game. I reckon playing him as a sub was a good move.
I think he's good for a full game, it just requires the right balance. As long as he doesn't sit in the forward 50 for 120 minutes like he has recently or to the contrary, played in the middle all game.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Moods wrote:I actually reckon Armo is the perfect sub type player. When fresh he hits contests hard and lays bone crushing tackles. He seems to tire quickly though and drift out of the game. I reckon playing him as a sub was a good move.
I think he's good for a full game, it just requires the right balance. As long as he doesn't sit in the forward 50 for 120 minutes like he has recently or to the contrary, played in the middle all game.
Agreed. There is a mix- e.g. Cyril Rioli, Paul Chapman

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Did Polo play on Rodan? I read that elsewhere?

savatage
SS Life Member

He absolutely murdered Rodan.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

savatage wrote:He absolutely murdered Rodan.
But he didn't get 25 touches so he is a dud.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He did not play on rodan......

Not for any length of time...... Played half back/wing.......loads of players rotate through there.....

Rodan was in the centre square, up fwd, wing.....played on steven, montagna, polo, gram,......

Very few players are able to match up throught the middle because of rotation rate.....except hard tags

We had two
Pearce, boak

Richter
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:

Im not sure of their plans for Armo but Id love to see him work on his "outside" game some more cause i reckon hes got that attributes to be quite an attacking mid.....love to see hgim run/carry some more.
Teffers, I think you may be on to something there. It's the only thing I can think of.

I have never thought of Armo as being slow, or unable to hit a target by foot, but somehow there's something 'stodgy' about him/ He doesn't come across as dynamic. I guess that's the lack of 'run and spread'.

On the other hand, Jack Steven is an absolute gun at this. He's currently our best clearance player and seems the one player most likely of replacing Lenny when he goes. Hopefully next year they'll complement each other.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
avid
Club Player

Richter wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Teffers, I think you may be on to something there. It's the only thing I can think of.

I have never thought of Armo as being slow, or unable to hit a target by foot, but somehow there's something 'stodgy' about him/ He doesn't come across as dynamic. I guess that's the lack of 'run and spread'.

On the other hand, Jack Steven is an absolute gun at this. He's currently our best clearance player and seems the one player most likely of replacing Lenny when he goes. Hopefully next year they'll complement each other.
I'm thinking / wishing all the same thoughts.
I just love Armo's crash tackles and incredible 1%ers. I want him in the team. The whole thing shuddered to life when he came on against Port.
But his outside game, as you say, is lacking.
So was Steven's until about 6 weeks ago though. Suddenly he's finding the ball everywhere now.
Is there still time for Armo to get the hang of it too?
Please make this happen. I really want this to happen.

avid
Club Player

Richter wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I just love Armo's crash tackles and incredible 1%ers. I want him in the team. The whole thing shuddered to life when he came on against Port.
So was Steven's until about 6 weeks ago though. Suddenly he's finding the ball everywhere now.

avid
Club Player

Richter wrote:
Teflon wrote:

avid
Club Player

oops -- that got a bit boring.
I didn't think the first two posts had worked. Don't know how to delete them now.
Sorry

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Love these threads. We have won 5 out of 7 and people saying Armo should be in the middle. Seems a great coincidence that as soon as he has been replaced that our midfield has improved. Armo may look like a good mid but doesnt spread well or have any defensive skills apart from his tackling. Steven has been able to do all of that. Armo may be ok in traffic but doesnt get many clean clearances, Steven has done that. Now it seems Polo should go for Armo. Well he may but due to things us from the outside miss but coaches, who have so much better knowledge than all of us, see Polo is getting a game at the moment.

It is my opinion that many here barrack for Armo to be good because he was a top 10 pick and seems like a hard nosed footballer but to be totally honest even when he seems to play well he doesnt seem to actually help the the Saints side during the game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, luke balls hopeless to......he couldnt spread for s***....i suppose its all about hpw you use your cattle.....steven and armitage play very differently....

And the argument was about Polo....another defensive, unskilled gap filler....who will be exposed by good teams...

Who have we beaten??

We have had three true Tests
Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn.....came up a mile short....and the gap is widening

Maybe we should give armo to wc to see if they can do anything with him..

Some just like to vindicate ross at every turn.......another fact is, we havent bought home the chocolates yet....so he aint perfect...and some of his decisions in retrospect have been poor...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, luke balls hopeless to......he couldnt spread for s***....i suppose its all about hpw you use your cattle.....steven and armitage play very differently....

And the argument was about Polo....another defensive, unskilled gap filler....who will be exposed by good teams...

Who have we beaten??

We have had three true Tests
Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn.....came up a mile short....and the gap is widening

Maybe we should give armo to wc to see if they can do anything with him..

Some just like to vindicate ross at every turn.......another fact is, we havent bought home the chocolates yet....so he aint perfect...and some of his decisions in retrospect have been poor...
And then there are others who have a completely over inflated opinion of themselves and think they know more than the coaches. Anyway what have Ball got to do with this apart from proving that if you play like Ball under the game plan RL has decided to use, and yes what would he know compared to you, that running and spreading is important. Under the MM game plan it obviously isnt but maybe they have players that can have a different game plan to ours.

And yes Steven and Armo play differently but Steven is in the midfield and because of that RL thinks Armo is now required elsewhere. Again what would he know to compared to the great one.

Yes we havent beaten much but earlier in the year some sides that beat us werent much either. I will justify how the players are being used by 5 out of 7 wins. Others can justify there opinion by pure fantasy.

Lastly i dont actually think RL is some sort of god. Matter of fact i dont care to much for him at all but I just think he has so much more idea than me and everyone else on this board including you. Maybe he knows the match ups and game plan every week and just maybe you are completely guessing. And that is why i think he knows the best spot for Armo.