You're all fools...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

When will St. Kilda next play finals?

73%
13%
3%
2014-15
3%
2016-17
3%
2018+
6%

Total votes: 70

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

You're all fools...

... If you think we'll play finals this year. Or so some posters maintain.

Apparently we're going to drop the game on Sunday, put the cue in the rack, and shift the rebuild into top gear.

Vote - and discuss.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think we will make this year and if we do I also think we will make it next year. Then I think it may be over. If we fail badly this year i think we will be waiting at least 5-7 years so to me this next few weeks is very important starting with one of the sides we struggle with this week.

St Loxton
Club Player

We will play this year, maybe finish 7th and maybe win 2 finals, that could be it though this year. Which wouldnt be a bad effort considering the poor start to the season.
Would be good to get some finals experience into some of the younger boys we have, but only if they show form leading into the finals.
I believe our window is still ajar for 3 more seasons.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Either the "tank now, full rebuild" brigade haven't logged in yet, or they're on a boycott...

I think we're a good chance for the eight, and a sneaky chance for top 6.

*If* the trand continues we will see increasingly consistent footy from the Saints.

I also think that every game is potentially winnable from here.

The games we would start as rank outsiders in are R21 versus Collingwood and R24 versus Carlton. Collingwood have a 6 day break and interstate travel, and it's at Etihad. Carlton will be coming off a bye, admittedly it's end of season and they are more likely to be switching into finals mode a week early, but... teams have struggled. That's the fact.

Some rank Hawthorn as being ahead of us but I don't see it. Yes they smashed us in round 8, Montagna was a big out for us and they now have half a hospital wing booked out. With Joey injured at the opening bounce we were (an unlucky) 2 goals down against Collingwood whereas the second half of the Hawks-Pies game was junk time with a 7 goal deficit.

I'm not trying to talk us up - after all, what's the point of challenging if you're not a contender?

As to what we will actually do with a September berth - let's see what kind of footy we and the opposition are playing in 6 weeks' time.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't buy the time frames thing, you need a couple of good picks and can turn it all around quickly. Sydney and Freo come to mind as examples of clubs that can top up to reload with a creative recruiting policy. Our core is still solid and just needs some luck with injury and recruiting and we could climb quickly.

Remember when we lost Harves and Gerhig, Voss etc. I thought we were going to struggle to reload. We then culled more of the old guard in Goose and Xav and things were looking a little shakey to me. You can't predict timeframes in AFL so much comes down to a little luck. A few injuries less in the last 10 years and we may have a fatter trophy cabinet, a few speculative trades go right and we climb quickly.

Freo have stuffed up their drafting for 20 years then all of a sudden they are grabbing these great speculative picks from every where. Geelong fell away then jump up and snag a couple of premierships with Selwood in tow.

saints will play finals in 2011 IMO.

St Lenny
Club Player

We can definately play this year, but probably won't go far. Where people have been quick to have a go at Ross about not playing the young kids in the last few years, which has some truth to it. We have also had some shocking luck with injuries to alot of our young guys. So an ounce of luck would be nice also.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I think that we may make it this year, but we won't go much further.

If we finish 7th or 8th, we play one of the top 2 sides first.

4th vs 5th is our best bet, but we are highly unlikely to get there. :(

philtee
Club Player

In week 1 of the 2011 finals, 5th plays 8th and 6th plays 7th, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think we're likely to get close this year but ultimately drop a winnable game and end up missing the 8. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of 2011 is preparation for next year. Get games into Lynch, Siposs, Walsh, Johnson, Smith and Stanley while sorting out which of the older fringe players to keep.

Richter
SS Life Member

To make finals this year, given our poor percentage, I reckon we will need to win 6 out of our last 9. Considering we are highly unlikely to beat Collingwood, that's 6 out of 8.

Assuming (a big assumption) that we only lose one of our 'easier' games (Port, Adelaide, North, GC and Fremantle), we'd have to win two out of Sydney away, West Coast and Carlton in Melbourne. Do-able, but a big task.

Apart from our GF hangover and Lenny's injury, we have been screwed by:-

- ourselves: only one draw and two losses from 3 close games

- the draw: we play the current top 3 twice in the season (also 6th, 10th, 14th) - statistically, this deprives us of another much needed 'win'

I reckon we'll be a 'win' short and finish 9th or 10th.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do think that the disappointment of missing out on finals this year, combined with Lenny coming back, the emergence of Jack Steven (who is a bona fide gun) and with some more experience into other youngsters e.g. Lynch, Cripps, Siposs - will lead us to having a good opportunity to bounce back into a 5-8 spot next year.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Inker, I'm taking it one week at a time.

I find the short term future too mirky to be making bold predictions.

However, I don't think we'll go very far should we make the finals. The top four teams would probably take us to the cleaners at this stage.

The MCG factor certainly won't help our cause in a finals campaign. RL still hasn't fugured out a adequate strategy on how to play on that track. We've played a handful of home & away games there this year and have come off looking like a team of headless chickens. We would have been back-to-back Premiers if we knew the nuances of that ground :(

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

How disappointing. I was hoping for a poll question like You're all fools Y/N"

Or, with apologies to the dear departed poster CarlosA
"Your all muppets Y/N"

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Well you've blown it now MB.

You could have surprised us with a copycat poll :)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: You're all fools...

InkerSaint wrote:... If you think we'll play finals this year. Or so some posters maintain.

Apparently we're going to drop the game on Sunday, put the cue in the rack, and shift the rebuild into top gear.

Vote - and discuss.
We cant rebuild this year...all the kids have moved into the Avenue for reconstuctive surgery......

It's going to be a field day for the cloggers for the rest of the year....

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:We cant rebuild this year...all the kids have moved into the Avenue for reconstuctive surgery......

Wow... a nice chewy slab of pessimism.

List cloggers like Simpkin, Walsh, Stanley and Siposs huh...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
bobmurray wrote:We cant rebuild this year...all the kids have moved into the Avenue for reconstuctive surgery......

I didn't name anyone......

I left that up to others

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:

I left that up to others
Why break the habit of a lifetime and leave the bagging of Saints players to others?

You aint fooling anyone sad sack :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
villasaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

How can anyone be said to be clogging the list, when there's no chance to add to the list until November 2011? :? :roll:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:

How can anyone be said to be clogging the list, when there's no chance to add to the list until November 2011? :? :roll:
bobmurray can...... :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:

I left that up to others
Why break the habit of a lifetime and leave the bagging of Saints players to others?

Harry the Potter...what rock did you just crawl out from under

I notice you haven't improved any....know anything about football...impossible to tell from your posting style..... :roll: :roll:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

How about JB and Bob going pistols at dawn? :P

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:How about JB and Bob going pistols at dawn? :P
Even David King and Mark Maclure would be happy to pay to see that :lol:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:

I left that up to others

Harry the Potter...what rock did you just crawl out from under

I notice you haven't improved any....know anything about football...impossible to tell from your posting style..... :roll: :roll:
Yes thats right astute footballing analysis from bobmurray - we are s.hit,.... no we are crap...., oh woe is me my self esteem is so wrapped up in my football team that I can cope with them losing.....

miss anything?

what a cabbage :roll:

Lance or James??

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Maybe i'm stupid ,but believe that every year if we play good football , we can win the premiership !!