Heavy-handed moderating?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Heavy-handed moderating?

I notice the thread about Luke Ball has been locked. I can't see any undue abuse or anything else inappropriate on it.

I assume somebody has locked it because he/she thought it was irrelevant, "we should all move on", "forumites sick of people going on and on about this", etc.

If so, these people were free not to open the thread.

I don't think threads should be locked because some people don't find the subject matter to be interesting. It's particularly bizarre when they go to the trouble of opening the thread and expressing this opinion.

Anyway, Mr or Ms Mod: I would appreciate if you would explain yourself. I hope I'm being unfair and have missed something that meant the thread
needed to be closed.

P.S. I notice that the thread for the grammar pedants remains unlocked. If it goes on too much longer I might have to post my concerns about inappropriate use of the gerundive form and the ablative and vocative cases.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Quixote
SS Life Member

My Picasso is gone again

Outraged :shock:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Grantaire
Opposition Fan

+1

That was a really good thread.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

A thread should not be locked unless it contravenes the guidelines of the site.

Which also allow for moderator discretion.

I personally have always voiced my opinion against locking threads until locking it is the only viable option.

In this case, it appears that the subject bores some people and the Mods reacted.

Locking threads is a cop out.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:A thread should not be locked unless it contravenes the guidelines of the site.

I personally have always voiced my opinion against locking threads until locking it is the only viable option.

In this case, it appears that the subject bores some people and the Mods reacted.

I'm not one for forum politics, but in that thread there were clearly some posters getting personal and aggressive.

And for absolutely no apparent reason.

If a mod can lock the thread, it's probably easier to just tap the aggressive and viscous posters on the shoulder and ask them to calm down.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I had a really good answer too, hit submit, and what would you know.....all was lost :wink:

Anyone else having issues with SS again....slow, unresponsive, double posting....seems all to familiar, is someone about to wreak havoc?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Anyone else having issues with SS again....slow, unresponsive, double posting....seems all to familiar, is someone about to wreak havoc?
Been happening to me over the past couple of weeks - seems really slow today (at times).

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:
SainterK wrote:Anyone else having issues with SS again....slow, unresponsive, double posting....seems all to familiar, is someone about to wreak havoc?
Been happening to me over the past couple of weeks - seems really slow today (at times).
Same here, thought it must have been my internet but obviously not... Also been getting logged out even though i have it as keep me logged in all time....

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Same here too.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:A thread should not be locked unless it contravenes the guidelines of the site.

I'm not one for forum politics, but in that thread there were clearly some posters getting personal and aggressive.

If a mod can lock the thread, it's probably easier to just tap the aggressive and viscous posters on the shoulder and ask them to calm down.
That last comment is exactly what Moderation is.

"Hey fellas, cool it or take it off the board. Otherwise your posts will be edited to remove the abuse or as a last resort the thread will be locked."

Locking a thread should be a last resort not the first one.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

"Hey fellas, cool it or take it off the board. Otherwise your posts will be edited to remove the abuse or as a last resort the thread will be locked."

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Careful. They may lock this one too.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Stop being so vicious and aggressive Pav :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

(just performing a spell check)

yup, everything seems to be in order and correct

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

:lol:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

:lol:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:(just performing a spell check)

yup, everything seems to be in order and correct
You'd better hurry up and edit-in some caps and punctuation, it's just impossible to understand what you are getting at without a full stop at the end.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Do I have to repeat myself?
Last edited by dragit on Wed 29 Jun 2011 1:26pm, edited 4 times in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Probably not, apologies, I too am having a few issues with the forum today...

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Here's what I was subjected to when I simply asked why there were so few supporters at one of the MCG games:

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2011 11:46pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I had my familt at the "Walking with Dinosaurs" show for my young son's birthday if that's Ok with you? If not, get f***ed !!

And last week I was interstate for work and didn't get to that game either - OK with you if I make a living?

Unfortunately for many of us we don't have the luxury of being able to run our lives around a footy fixture. My family membership and social club membership are one step from being simple donations to the club. Fortunately next week we will be able to go and the whole family will be there - does that meet your standards you judgmental f***?[/i]

How does that go with the moderators in terms of abuse?

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Here is another one:

f*** off.
i was there yesterday, and apart from the first half an hour it was a pretty miserable experience.

so should i keep turning up each week to watch a playing group who barely put in? am i supposed to enjoy that? why would i spend so much time doing something i can't control which is making me unhappy?

obviously people will turn up less when we're losing. it's just not as much fun for anyone involved. it makes no difference to whether we win or lose, so who cares?

if you have no better way to spend your time then by all means go along to the footy. personally, i'll be there a lot less for the remainder of the year.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Do I have to repeat myself?

capitals arent my strong point and neither are '....
so i am sorry for showing disrespect to the site in advance for all my future non capitalized posts.

good lord what a crock of shite that was.
lol

asiu
Saintsational Legend

seems all to familiar, is someone about to wreak havoc?
... i've been good.

:P

well mannered , polite and bored off my tits.

what more can you expect. ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

And I'll try really hard not too start any contentious threads

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

You're not going to find me complaining about L*ke B*ll threads being locked :)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!