Brett Peake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Yes, I actually always liked Peake from the beginning, for the run he provided. Of course, I wish that Lovett hadn't turned out to be a rapist dog and he could be playing that role, but them's the breaks.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
faircatfan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
faircatfan wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
faircatfan wrote:So his left side has improved has it?. Just look at the standard of the game, its generally terrible. It makes complete sense if you play to the same standard and the general standard of the game falls away "faster".
I know he played ok against us in the past 2 matches in particular. If you really think Peake will take you forward, then i disagree with that entirely.
He's better that that little receiver called Cameron Cokes.
Disagree, but interesting comparison
He reminds me of Carlton. He's a soft track bully and goes missing in the big games or when it counts. Can't remember him doing well in a big game or final. Could be wrong.
I think when we rolled the pies in a prelim he kicked the first 3 goals from memory. I do agree though that "generally" he is a bit of a down hill skier

jackson browne
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

faircatfan wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
faircatfan wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
faircatfan wrote:So his left side has improved has it?. Just look at the standard of the game, its generally terrible. It makes complete sense if you play to the same standard and the general standard of the game falls away "faster".
I know he played ok against us in the past 2 matches in particular. If you really think Peake will take you forward, then i disagree with that entirely.
He reminds me of Carlton. He's a soft track bully and goes missing in the big games or when it counts. Can't remember him doing well in a big game or final. Could be wrong.
I think when we rolled the pies in a prelim he kicked the first 3 goals from memory. I do agree though that "generally" he is a bit of a down hill skier
Now I've said that, he'll probably kick 6 in the GF now.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

faircatfan wrote:
I do agree though that "generally" he is a bit of a down hill skier
Problem with that theory is this season the Saints have been crap, but Peake has been excelling. :idea:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
faircatfan wrote:
Problem with that theory is this season the Saints have been crap, but Peake has been excelling. :idea:
I think you'll find faircatfan was actually referring to Stokes of Geelong.

Winmar
Club Player

It's great to see Peake getting a bit of recognition for his improvement. He wasn't born with the skills of a Dal Santo, but he's working hard to get the most out of what he's got.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:It's great to see Peake getting a bit of recognition for his improvement. He wasn't born with the skills of a Dal Santo, but he's working hard to get the most out of what he's got.
I agree with this. He's not my favourite player but I have been very impressed with how he's gone these past 6 weeks. How about we ALL give our blokes some credits when they hit some form, rather than wait for them to stuff up?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Winmar wrote:It's great to see Peake getting a bit of recognition for his improvement. He wasn't born with the skills of a Dal Santo, but he's working hard to get the most out of what he's got.
I agree with this. He's not my favourite player but I have been very impressed with how he's gone these past 6 weeks. How about we ALL give our blokes some credits when they hit some form, rather than wait for them to stuff up?
It's a radical plan Moods but I'm all for it :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Link to a little story in today's online HS:

“It’s a good story – just goes to show you how mental the game is,â€

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont think pressure is down. Anyway main issue if you watched him play before was his poor disposal when under absolutely zero pressure - now he disposes well under perssure. So how can you see that aspect is not an miprovement in hiw own game? As I said he used to kick it in the air under zero pressure. How can that based on standards dropping?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont think pressure is down. Anyway main issue if you watched him play before was his poor disposal when under absolutely zero pressure - now he disposes well under perssure. So how can you see that aspect is not an improvement in his own game? As I said he used to kick it in the air under zero pressure. How can that be based on standards dropping?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
faircatfan wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
You mustnt watch footy at all. Cos he was in our best v Pies and Cats in the last month. He was our only good player against the tide at some stages in both those games.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
faircatfan wrote:
exactly. saints have been hopeless. So hardly down hill skiing this year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
faircatfan wrote:
exactly. saints have been hopeless. So hardly down hill skiing this year.
Con, I think fcf’s initial post was way off the mark, but to be fair I think this later comment of his has been taken out of context. As I said earlier:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
faircatfan wrote:
I think you'll find faircatfan was actually referring to Stokes of Geelong.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

faircatfan wrote:If you really think Peake will take you forward, then i disagree with that entirely.
i'd place peake somewhere between david spriggs and david wojcinski on a continuum of similar players. he's better than spriggs, probably not quite as good as wojo. but it's a pretty close thing, and this season he's getting it more than wojo, kicking more goals, tackling more and has a similar number of inside 50s.

it's fair to say they're comparable players. neither are ever going to get more than a trickle of b&f or brownlow votes, and they'll fade in and out of games, but they're still useful to have around.
faircatfan wrote:If you really think Peake will take you forward, then i disagree with that entirely.
so if this holds true for peake then the same is true of wojcinski. why then has he played 12 games this year? probably because playing a team full of kids isn't going to win you games; cf gold coast. each team needs a blend of youth and experience.

maybe that's the role peake is playing for the saints. if he's not exactly "taking us forward" (whatever that actually means), he is playing a useful role. and at this point it's not ridiculous to suggest that he could play in our next finals campaign, as he probably has a good four years left in him.

so why not play him, if he's going well?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
i'd place peake somewhere between david spriggs and david wojcinski on a continuum of similar players. he's better than spriggs, probably not quite as good as wojo. but it's a pretty close thing, and this season he's getting it more than wojo, kicking more goals, tackling more and has a similar number of inside 50s.

it's fair to say they're comparable players. neither are ever going to get more than a trickle of b&f or brownlow votes, and they'll fade in and out of games, but they're still useful to have around.
so if this holds true for peake then the same is true of wojcinski. why then has he played 12 games this year? probably because playing a team full of kids isn't going to win you games; cf gold coast. each team needs a blend of youth and experience.

maybe that's the role peake is playing for the saints. if he's not exactly "taking us forward" (whatever that actually means), he is playing a useful role. and at this point it's not ridiculous to suggest that he could play in our next finals campaign, as he probably has a good four years left in him.

so why not play him, if he's going well?
Yep, as Ross said:

“But we just said, ‘look, we don’t sentence anyone to death. If you buy in and do the work and compete, we’ll give you an opportunity.

“He went back to Sandringham and played well and since his return he’s played some really hungry football and he’s been a bit of a catalyst really.â€

matrix
Saintsational Legend

PJ
SS Life Member

Glad to see we're consistent around here - when a players going bad, bag him....when a players going well, bag him anyway he may lose form.

Peake has been one of the most exciting to watch the last several weeks so I'm going to enjoy his form and being back in the winners circle. Baggers can go about your negative, uninspired way. Life's too short to read your crap.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

peake has always had the ability just not the confidence.. and his 'role' didnt help..

ive always been pro peake... i for one was happy when we picked him up

and now ross has seemed to find his perfect role and we are now seeing the plus side of it all

good work peake keep it up...

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

What has been most impressive has been his ball use. Everyone's always acknowledged his pace, but now he's using it to good effect and being damaging with his disposals.

groupie1
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
faircatfan wrote:Players like peake do not improve. The opposition deteriorates faster than players like Peake do, hence he "looks better". IMHO
What an incredibly stupid statement.

So players dont work on their skills to improve, they all just play from natural talent :roll:

Actually your statement, re-read isn't just stupid it is ludicrious.

It assumes "the opposition" is some sort of homogenious mass that doesn't change from week to week, or deterioates during a game in linear fashion.

My god, the intellect of some posters defies belief. Its breadth of thoughlessness knows very little bounds.
What the f*** does this mean?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

PJ wrote:Glad to see we're consistent around here - when a players going bad, bag him....when a players going well, bag him anyway he may lose form.
I won't stand for that... putting my hand up as a Peake fan.

I couldn't comprehend why we'd traded for him in 09 but in hindsight he was insurance, we had to make a claim and AFAIAC the cheque is good.

He had a poor start to the year and that is on record. To his great credit he hit his straps while others were still in the doldrums.

I especially liked this bit at the end of The Age's article:
Buhagiar says his daughter, Carly, and her husband (who turned 28 yesterday) are very happy in Melbourne, and that Peake was enjoying everything about St Kilda and desperately wanted to stay a Saint.
That warmed the cockles of my red, white and black heart.

Yes, and happy birthday Peakey.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the age article
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1h0rw.html

several intersting comments

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have a mate from WA who is a freo fan and he was pissed Peake went as he had one great year at Freo and went missing the next, but said he had been waiting for Peake to be an A grade player which he still expected. He was compared to kosi in that over a few weeks he looked like the next Chris Judd and grabbed a heap of triple brownlow votes. I hope his time is now.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:the age article
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1h0rw.html

several intersting comments
Another great read in a year that's been largely devoid of them :)