Final Team - enjoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

has some have sai could have been worse. At least we dropped some attacking mids and a attacking half back flanker for defenders but still..... Tall forwards? Anyone?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:happy enough. think we acheive a little more flexibility with this line up and more attacking flair.

may see Lynch and Goddard swapping roles a little bit.

Gilbert please stay back, even if you're told to play forward, please stay back.

happy for Polo because all in all I think (for a new player) he's been quite good (and certainly decent enough in VFL).

reckon we're attempting to get value out of Gamble and Polo and developing the others in Steven, Armo, Lynch, Ledger

bets on Ben playing a record 80% game time?
Agree with all of that. I would love to see Goddard play a Steve Johnson role, playing as a forward who has a run on the ball. If Lynch can hold down a back position that would give us the flexibility to do that.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:has some have sai could have been worse. At least we dropped some attacking mids and a attacking half back flanker for defenders but still..... Tall forwards? Anyone?
They have actually dropped alot of their pace, could it be Ross is going for a similar setup to the Freo game?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

This is better than I imagined - only 3 changes from the lineup that beat Freo. Gamble, Gram, Ledger for Siposs, Blake, Winmar.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintbob
SS Life Member

Gram will be sub

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:
SainterK wrote:For North

In Pratt, McKinley, McMahon, Hansen

Out Delaney, Harper, Atley, Richardson
Lose a bit of run there! Surely with all 3 of their outs being emergencies you would expect a late change or two? Hansen hasn't played the last 2 weeks AFL or VFL
Agree with that, Harper and Atley are runners, and Richardson is mobile for a big fellow - don't think any of their 'Ins' are as quick.

Think Lynch will play forward, he's quite tall, with Riewoldt and Gamble.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Buckets wrote:
SainterK wrote:For North

In Pratt, McKinley, McMahon, Hansen

Out Delaney, Harper, Atley, Richardson
Lose a bit of run there! Surely with all 3 of their outs being emergencies you would expect a late change or two? Hansen hasn't played the last 2 weeks AFL or VFL
Agree with that, Harper and Atley are runners, and Richardson is mobile for a big fellow - don't think any of their 'Ins' are as quick.

Think Lynch will play forward, he's quite tall, with Riewoldt and Gamble.
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lynch up forward either.

1. Came to the club as a forward.

2. Team lacks another tall in the forward line (Kosi out and Gilbert unlikely to play/stay forward)

3. Team already had an abundance of Defenders.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep...topped the goal kicking in the under 18s

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
To the top
SS Life Member

So if you have someone who is quick, skilful, can break the lines and takes the game on why would you have him as a sub?

There have been some stupid rule changes over the years, but this one takes the cake.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ledger is the perfect sub. He is young and as a first year player would be really sore after playing a full match. The fitness to go and play midfield is something guys like Rioli and Hodge had to build up to after a couple of years in the system. Expecting ledger who is the size of a school boy to play a full match at pace is dumb. He isn't big enough to rest forward and have a major impact but as the sub he can play 30 minutes of intense footy.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:will lynch play forward or back?
Looks like ledger will be the sub again.
Why? Maybe it will be Polo. :idea:
polo isnt a sub type player
What's a sub type player?
someone that is quick, skillful and has the ability to break lines and take the game on.
No players were sub players 15 rounds ago..

And if we had that type of player... They'd be the first one picked.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Where does this leave Bakes?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I imagine Bakes would be in a precarious position. Retirement must be on his mind.

PJ
SS Life Member

There is no such thing as a sub type. Have a look at the spread of players used across the whole comp. I don't even know that there is consensus as to how to best use one. Anything suggested as a specific type that clubs are looking for is pure fiction.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
jays
Club Player

good to see leger in

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Typical RL. Given up on youth policy. By the way where are those whinges from Thursday?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Typical RL. Given up on youth policy. By the way where are those whinges from Thursday?
Busy working on their "Ross won't give the old blokes a chance" posts :wink:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
someone that is quick, skillful and has the ability to break lines and take the game on.
That's the sort of player you want playing the whole match, not a bloke who gets it and kicks it straight to the opposition. Whenever Dean Polo played for Richmond against us it was a sure sign that they were short on talent. We should be playing Tom Ledger for the whole game. The worst place to learn the game is from the subs bench.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
That's the sort of player you want playing the whole match, not a bloke who gets it and kicks it straight to the opposition. Whenever Dean Polo played for Richmond against us it was a sure sign that they were short on talent. We should be playing Tom Ledger for the whole game. The worst place to learn the game is from the subs bench.
Tom Lynch may have disagreed with this pov after his debut against Essendon?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Typical RL. Given up on youth policy. By the way where are those whinges from Thursday?
Busy working on their "Ross won't give the old blokes a chance" posts :wink:
Too right. Bloody ageism.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lynch was on a hiding to nothing......came up with the expected...

Wasnt it his first game, surely he can be forgiven by copping a bath from an afl champion on debut.

And i would suggest he learned plenty, failure always teaches more than success.....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lynch was on a hiding to nothing......came up with the expected...

Wasnt it his first game, surely he can be forgiven by copping a bath from an afl champion on debut.And i would suggest he learned plenty, failure always teaches more than success.....
I see you still can't read what is actually written.
Who exactly is having a go at Tom Lynch?

Unless I've missed somewhere where the terminology has chnaged?, a player's debut normally means it is his first game.

Thanks for your suggestoin that Lynch learned plenty. I'll take it on board as gospel since you've obviously spoken with him about it.

I'll also take note of your 'rule' that 'failure always teaches more than success'.

What exactly did that particular failure teach Tom Lynch?

What did he tell you were the great things he learned from that lesson?

Personally I would have thought that given he played as a forward that night and has since been switched to a defender (mainly) he probably has learned more through training and playing at Sandy than he did that particaular game.

But since you've discussed this with him you would obviously know more about it than me., so I'll just have to go along with your expertise on this one.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

You sure seem to have your nickers in a knot.
As for what you've said in response to his last sentence ("And i would suggest he learned plenty, failure always teaches more than success.....") how do you come to the conclusion that it's "gospel since you've obviously spoken with him about it", when he clearly said "i would suggest he learned plenty"? Surely if he had spoken to him about it, as you say he "obviously" has done, he wouldn't have said "I would suggest", would he? He would have just said "he did learn from it" or something along those lines, wouldn't he?
He obviously believes "failure always teaches more than success", as a general "rule", so he wouldn't believe that he needs to talk to him about it, to know that he would have learned from it.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
BigMart wrote:Lynch was on a hiding to nothing......came up with the expected...

Wasnt it his first game, surely he can be forgiven by copping a bath from an afl champion on debut.And i would suggest he learned plenty, failure always teaches more than success.....

Unless I've missed somewhere where the terminology has chnaged?, a player's debut normally means it is his first game.

Thanks for your suggestoin that Lynch learned plenty. I'll take it on board as gospel since you've obviously spoken with him about it.

I'll also take note of your 'rule' that 'failure always teaches more than success'.

Personally I would have thought that given he played as a forward that night and has since been switched to a defender (mainly) he probably has learned more through training and playing at Sandy than he did that particaular game.

But since you've discussed this with him you would obviously know more about it than me., so I'll just have to go along with your expertise on this one.
What a patronising and childish post...

Im familiar with the BM, MM, P66 battles etc, and Im sure BM can fight his own fights, but talk about over reacting... :roll:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

What a patronising and childish post...

Im familiar with the BM, MM, P66 battles etc, and Im sure BM can fight his own fights, but talk about over reacting... :roll:
Thank you for your contribution Sobraz.
At least it's not another 'bag the coach' post like most of yours seem to be lately, both here and on BigFooty.

I look forward to reading more of your incisive and adult posts in future.
Last edited by Mr Magic on Sat 02 Jul 2011 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.