Beat Riewoldt, beat St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Beat Riewoldt, beat St Kilda

'Beat Riewoldt, beat St Kilda' is the theory, and it's a good one.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z1Qoopb3cG

Like most here I cant stand Robert Walls but was wondering what your thoughts were on his suggestion to play Riewoldt in the midfield a la Pavlich ...

spert
Saintsational Legend

Lyon takes no risks, and has been slow to move Roo out of CHF, and as a result Roo has lost confidence. I hope RL uses a bit more imagination in future, rather than playing it safe to the point of stagnation. Walls has stated the bleedin' obvious, and he himself was a very handy CHF who knows how important getting that position to work properly is.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

It would be a good theory... if it had any basis in reality.

Riewoldt 1 goal or less in loss/draw: 5 from 8
Riewoldt 1 goal or less in wins: 2 from 4

The real story is that Walls wanted to obscure the premise for an article he was so keen to write that he didn't stop to think through or research his straw man.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
noreason41
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:It would be a good theory... if it had any basis in reality.

Riewoldt 1 goal or less in loss/draw: 5 from 8
Riewoldt 1 goal or less in wins: 2 from 4

The real story is that Walls wanted to obscure the premise for an article he was so keen to write that he didn't stop to think through or research his straw man.
More or less my thoughts.

Would have had some relevance for about 2 weeks last year, but i thought it was pretty well disproved as we finished top 2 last year?

noreason41
Club Player

How does something so simple as Hawthorn kicking 33goals against Essendon go to press?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

noreason41 wrote:How does something so simple as Hawthorn kicking 33goals against Essendon go to press?
Because that's probably what Robert wrote, and what he writes must be respected because he was a very good player :P

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I cant be bothered reading the actual article - but didnt we get on a winning streak last year when Roo was injured?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

I wonder what zac dawson thinks of robert's article. :lol:

Sainter for life.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's not factual, but I'm not surprised.

Red
Club Player

It's a good article and I've read the same sentiments on here by many

posters to put Roo on the wing or midfield and let him push forward,

finding other avenues to attack.

Just because posters don't like Walls can't write the odd good article.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Ross summed it up pretty well in his interview with Triple M after the Geelong game....

His point was, we've got really good midfielders already, but lack key forwards. So why would you move the only one we've got into the midfield, just so the individual feels better about themselves, rather than what is best for the team.

So what if Roo has 5 opponents hanging off him??. We've got to make sure we kick it to the 4 other blokes with no match-up.

That our problem, we kick and hope Roo will make the kick look good. We've played our best footy when we're going to guys who aren't Riewoldt.
Last edited by St Chris on Fri 01 Jul 2011 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Ross summed it up pretty well in his interview with Triple M after the Geelong game....

His point was, we've got really good midfielders already, but lack key forwards. So why would you move the only one we've got into the midfield, just so the individual feels better about themselves, rather than what is best for the team.

So what if Roo has 5 opponents hanging off him??. We've got to make sure we kick it to the 4 other blokes with no match-up.

That our problem, we kick and hope Roo will make the kick look good. We've played our best footy when we're going to guys who aren't Reiwoldt.
Exactly.

I hope the posters bemoaning the lack of a second marking target up forward aren't the same ones suggesting we move Roo to the wing, midfield or CHB :shock:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Ross summed it up pretty well in his interview with Triple M after the Geelong game....

That our problem, we kick and hope Roo will make the kick look good. We've played our best footy when we're going to guys who aren't Reiwoldt.
If we have "real god midfielders" who continue to kick the ball to a fwd with 5 on him when the rest of the fwds are free....do we really have "really good mids?"

And lets not go near their disposal..

I think with Dal/Goddard in the back half....we over estimate our "real good midfield" - the loss of Hayes has taught us that.

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is it just the way I read it or is Walls implying that opposition teams have only recently began planning heavily against Riewoldt?

If he is he is drawing a very long bow.

Riewoldt is struggling. That is all.

He's not on his own though is he.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

That our problem, we kick and hope Roo will make the kick look good. We've played our best footy when we're going to guys who aren't Riewoldt.
If reckon Ross is overrating our midfield without Lenny. Haven't we been flogged in clearances contested possessions for most of the year.

Just playing devils advocate. I actually agree that moving Riewoldt out of position is not the way to go. He's good enough to work his way out of a form slump. Just need someone else to stand up. Milne has been a bit down the last 2-3 weeks.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
noreason41 wrote:How does something so simple as Hawthorn kicking 33goals against Essendon go to press?
Because that's probably what Robert wrote, and what he writes must be respected because he was a very good player :P

but a sniper on the field and a c*** of a bloke off it...... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IMO, play Roo closer to goal.

If the opposition play numbers on him, it will then give us the advantage further up the ground. If they leave him one on one we will benefit too.

As Walls has pointed out the rotations on Roo has reduced his impact. Add to this that defenders no play on him the "Max" way...and you have two reasons why Roo is having less impact. The third is just simply being out of form.

On the tag-teaming of Roo, I am reminded of Banger. He used to out gut run his opponents, and then late in the game just dominate. Heaver midfield rotations lessened that impact. The same as Roo.

Nothing stays the same in footy. You have to keep evolving, or you fall by the wayside.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Better forwards, providing more options and mids who kick to the "best option" will alleviate a lot of pressure off Rooey.

You only have to get a couple of other forwards getting some early goals, to throw the opposition backline into confusion. Of course "delivery" is the key ingredient to opening up the options. :!:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was one of the desperate let Roo have a run in the midfield like Couta and Pav did. I now after reading Wallsy, realise that it was a totally ignorant point and will now never mention it again. Please god, never let me concur with Robert Walls or Plugger 66 again. Cheers.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:IMO, play Roo closer to goal.

If the opposition play numbers on him, it will then give us the advantage further up the ground. If they leave him one on one we will benefit too.

As Walls has pointed out the rotations on Roo has reduced his impact. Add to this that defenders no play on him the "Max" way...and you have two reasons why Roo is having less impact. The third is just simply being out of form.

On the tag-teaming of Roo, I am reminded of Banger. He used to out gut run his opponents, and then late in the game just dominate. Heaver midfield rotations lessened that impact. The same as Roo.

Nothing stays the same in footy. You have to keep evolving, or you fall by the wayside.
Its not just rotating opponents on him a lot has to do with giving no space because of the zone. Riewoldt has constant company now even in his lead spots.

Im not convinced leaving Riewoldt close to goal is the answer. Nick Riewoldt in 10 yrs has never been a great stand and deliver contested mark aka Dawes/Cloke. He's a lead up fwd with no space.

If mids are continuously kicking the ball to him then 1 sure way to stop that is to take him out of fwd 50 more. few weeks back Riewoldt had one of his best games of the year with 30 odd touches and 3 goals - free him up let him roam some more and force this side to find other avenues to goal OR to take the shot themselves.

Ofcourse there will be times Roo still goes fwd.....but geez.....lets make it less predictable...

“Yeah….nah””
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with the sentiment it is silly to play roo on the wing.

He needs to take marks and convert to goals as a forward. I have been waiting week after week to see roo slot in those goals and to start to believe again. How sweet it will be if it starts to come together for him again. Especially at this time of the year when we are basically a write off.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Agree with the sentiment it is silly to play roo on the wing.

He needs to take marks and convert to goals as a forward. I have been waiting week after week to see roo slot in those goals and to start to believe again. How sweet it will be if it starts to come together for him again. Especially at this time of the year when we are basically a write off.
Why continue to have a 1 dimensional fwd line?

Our mids STILL kick the ball to him EVERY time....

Collingwood have multiple options to goal - we need to learn this.

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

ROO is struggling cos NO ONE CAN KICK THE FRIGGEN BALL !!!!! he carn't do much when the ball is constantly kicked either short or him or over his head !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Trouble is, unless we pick some other key marking forwards, putting Roo on the wing will probably lead to a no dimensional forward line :shock:

If we go with 6 mid to small forwards and keep bringing it in haphazardly, the opposition defenders will just pick us off all day (or night)!

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:

I agree we need to draft more, better forwards to take some of the burden off riewoldt.

but even when riewoldt has marked with a very gettable set shot, he has sprayed. I just hope he starts kicking themm when he has the chance.

This is all i want to see in the short term. There is not much else to do for season 2010. Milne is great, but enigmatic. Schneider is in lala land at the moment. Kosi...never there. Polo is crap. Gamble is average.

Need another aaron hamil or dawes type of forward.