Gamble the unknown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Gamble the unknown

Sainter for life.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good read, as I said elsewhere, you can tell he really trying to mould himself into what we need.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Good read, as I said elsewhere, you can tell he really trying to mould himself into what we need.
A power forward? He'd want to bulk up a bit. Still, if he can kick goals I won't be complaining.

Saintersss
Club Player

I think people have been a bit harsh on him. He hasn't been our best, but he certainly hasn't been our worst. Still think he could become a solid player.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to see him blossom at the Saints. We need him to stand up.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:Good read, as I said elsewhere, you can tell he really trying to mould himself into what we need.
A power forward? He'd want to bulk up a bit. Still, if he can kick goals I won't be complaining.
No, not a power forward, a third forward....he looks good when he plays alongside two other talls.

Perhaps a Lynch, Fisher or Goddard may find themselves forward as well Sunday.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
No, not a power forward, a third forward....he looks good when he plays alongside two other talls.

we can only hope

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

He has retained his spot and needs to consolodate it with good performances. Could do with some more bulk to help his attack on the ball. As we have seen, he can take a great grab.

I still have an open mind on him for next year.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Perhaps a Lynch, Fisher or Goddard may find themselves forward as well Sunday.
I really, really hope not Fisher.

He's gone forward a couple of times in the last two years to good effect - against Collingwood and the Bulldogs last year from memory - but his presence up forward usually means we're in deep strife, and the backline suffers from his absence.

Goddard, on the other hand, can play wherever he likes AFAIAC.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

If Gamble starts playing in the midfield, I will dust off my boots, just in case Ross calls me…

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I hope he comes good I thought he was what was missing preseason and the collapse of our structures hasn't helped him. I think he probably knows that if he doesn't find a place regularly he will be cut at the end of the next season and will give his all. He was great in the NAB, just needs a break out this week against a team without an A grade back line. He unfortunately has a laconic look about him, just looks like there isn't any urgency in his game, but he is running to the right spots and getting to contests. Hope he has a good game and becomes our missing forward, something like Aaron Edwards at North.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

any man who can take a screamer like he took against Geelong in the VFL this year I have a warm spot for.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
To the top
SS Life Member

Let's put this into perspective.

Gamble is 2cm SHORTER than Hayes and weighs about the same as Hayes.

And he is named at full forward for St Kilda!

I am concerned also about his pace - because as a small/mid-sized forward you need pace.

Just adds to the pressure Riewoldt is under.

jays
Club Player

not bad

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Hopefully Lynch is the only one of those 3 who go forward on Sunday. Fisher will never be a forward and BJ would be wasted. If Rooy, our best forward by far, is struggling then so will BJ.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Hopefully Lynch is the only one of those 3 who go forward on Sunday. Fisher will never be a forward and BJ would be wasted. If Rooy, our best forward by far, is struggling then so will BJ.
Wouldn't make much sense for Lynch to go forward since he has been playing mainly defence for Sandringham. Not only that, guys who have been kicking goals at Sandringham like Johnson cannot get a look in.

I have a feeling that SainterK is closer to the mark than you Plugger :wink:

I expect Riewoldt to spend some time on the wing and BJ to play forward.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 02 Jul 2011 10:14am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Wouldn't make much sense for Lynch to go forward since he has been playing mainly defence for Sandringham.

Not only that, guys who have been kicking goals at Sandringham like Johnson cannot get a look in.

I have a feeling that SainterK is closer to the mark than you Plugger :wink:
Didnt Lynch play forward when he played his only senior game this season. I dont care if he plays forward and actually didnt say he will but out of those 3 I hope he is the only one to play forward. Fisher will not and BJ should not. He is the best sweeper in the game so why play him out of position?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:BJ should not (play forward). He is the best sweeper in the game so why play him out of position?
He is one of the best footballers in the game and a beautiful kick. Exactly what we need in the forward line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:BJ should not (play forward). He is the best sweeper in the game so why play him out of position?
He is one of the best footballers in the game and a beautiful kick. Exactly what we need in the forward line.
I would have thought you play your best players in their best positions and also the best position to damage other sides. BJ will cause damage at HB but may struggle to touch it up forward the way we play. By the way, and this hasnt been commented on here, BJ isnt kicking very well at at the moment. Again a sign that players and the club are lacking confidence.
I am still waiting for RL to unleash that famous 3 pronged attack you wanted form 2007, G train, Rooy and Kosi.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

By the way, and this hasnt been commented on here, BJ isnt kicking very well at at the moment. Again a sign that players and the club are lacking confidence.
He's kicking better than Riewoldt, who needs some time up the ground to regain touch and confidence. Perhaps on a wing where he can run around a bit.

Plus I feel it is time to shake up the tired, predictable structure (or lack of it) that has struggled this season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: By the way, and this hasnt been commented on here, BJ isnt kicking very well at at the moment. Again a sign that players and the club are lacking confidence.quote]

He's kicking better than Riewoldt, who needs some time up the ground to regain touch and confidence. Perhaps on a wing where he can run around a bit.

Plus I feel it is time to shake up the tired, predictable structure (or lack of it) that has struggled this season.
I know you are having a lend of me saying put Rooy on the wing. Sorry but that just doesnt work. If anything I would go the other way. Rooy plays as deep as possible and the only time he leaves that position is to defend. So lets see you want our best forward to basically play in BJ's position and our best winger, HB or sweeper to go forward just to change things up. Why not go all out and play Zac forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: By the way, and this hasnt been commented on here, BJ isnt kicking very well at at the moment. Again a sign that players and the club are lacking confidence.quote]

I know you are having a lend of me saying put Rooy on the wing. Sorry but that just doesnt work. If anything I would go the other way. Rooy plays as deep as possible and the only time he leaves that position is to defend. So lets see you want our best forward to basically play in BJ's position and our best winger, HB or sweeper to go forward just to change things up. Why not go all out and play Zac forward.

Let's just leave Rooey up forward by himself and bomb it on to him when he's triple teamed as per usual.

Doesn't work. Never did.

Even when he gets it, which isn't too often this season just quietly, he's unlikely to kick it on current form. Time for a change.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 02 Jul 2011 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Let's just leave Rooey up forward by himself and bomb it on to him when he's triple teamed as per usual. Doesn't work. Never did.
Obviously did work as he has been a star for years. Not working now because we havent got good kicks in the side and we bring it in to slowly. Play him deep and then it is much harder to have 3 on him. If you had your way rooy would be on the wing and BJ forward. Why would that make any difference to the opposition. Wouldnt they just have 3 on BJ?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If you had your way rooy would be on the wing and BJ forward. Why would that make any difference to the opposition. Wouldnt they just have 3 on BJ?
Not if we have other forwards doing what they should do and staying in the forward line rather than trying to get behind the ball.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If you had your way rooy would be on the wing and BJ forward. Why would that make any difference to the opposition. Wouldnt they just have 3 on BJ?
Not if we have other forwards doing what they should do and staying in the forward line rather than trying to get behind the ball.
Yep so why not leave our best forward there and get the other forwards to do as you say. Wouldnt that work better than moving 2 players to positions they dont usually play?