Team changes against Kangas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Good analaysis to the top, however, I do believe one of the reasons for our lack of scoring is caused by our structure.
In just about every game we played this year, Fisher and other players would win the ball and be in a position to move the ball forward only to look up and see no one ahead of them on the field, therefore they are forced to go sideways or backwards to find a target wearing the same jumper.
We need our forwards to stay in the forward line, not chase possessions in the midfield or half back.
yep. too many numbers behind the ball and too few in front.

In: Johnson (ff), Walsh (backline, second ruck), Ledger (small forward and mid)

Out: Kosi (suspended), Raph (if ineligible due to playing for Sandringham), Gamble
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 27 Jun 2011 10:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:We got lazy and complacent thru 2009 and 2010.
We threw absolutely everything at trying to snare a flag, these weren't development years and I don't begrudge Lyon for doing everything in his power to try and get us a flag - even if it did cost us down the track.
No-one was saying 'play the kids' while we contesting Grand Finals…

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
We threw absolutely everything at trying to snare a flag, these weren't development years and I don't begrudge Lyon for doing everything in his power to try and get us a flag - even if it did cost us down the track.
playing eddy and mcqualter can hardly be described as "doing everything in his power to win a flag" nor throwing "everything at trying to snare a flag".

he did make some mistakes.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
playing eddy and mcqualter can hardly be described as "doing everything in his power to win a flag" nor throwing "everything at trying to snare a flag".

Sure he's made plenty of mistakes, but I'm sure that he believed that playing Eddy & McQualter were the best options at the time… To be honest, there weren't a whole swag of better players in the stands either?

SunburySaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Good analaysis to the top, however, I do believe one of the reasons for our lack of scoring is caused by our structure.
In just about every game we played this year, Fisher and other players would win the ball and be in a position to move the ball forward only to look up and see no one ahead of them on the field, therefore they are forced to go sideways or backwards to find a target wearing the same jumper.
We need our forwards to stay in the forward line, not chase possessions in the midfield or half back.

Out: Kosi (suspended), Raph (if ineligible due to playing for Sandringham), Gamble
wouldnt be surprised if either Johnson, Walsh or Siposs come into the team.

Was sitting behind Ross in the stands at sandy yesterday and he was more interested in how the forward line was functioning and the performance of the three mentioned above.

then again he might just surprise us all and bring back mini and raph... who knows.

Now lives in Geelong...
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Was sitting behind Ross in the stands at sandy yesterday and he was more interested in how the forward line was functioning and the performance of the three mentioned above.

then again he might just surprise us all and bring back mini and raph... who knows.
Ross has publicly said that he wants to give more young kids games before the year's out. And Kosi won't be playing.

So although some may be skeptical I would expect Johnson and/or Walsh and/or Siposs to come under consideration.

SunburySaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SunburySaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Ross has publicly said that he wants to give more young kids games before the year's out. And Kosi won't be playing.

So although some may be skeptical I would expect Johnson and/or Walsh and/or Siposs to come under consideration.
IMO it should be Walsh, he is bigger bodied then Siposs and Johnson and if needed could pinch hit in the ruck.

Now lives in Geelong...
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:All I can say is - Tom Ledger had better play.
He has to doesnt he?

Out of all our "new kids" this guy strikes me as having the ability to come in and make an impact immediately. He doesnt seem overawed, has pace and can kick.

FFS Ross play him and NOT as a sub - give him a genuine run.

No to Gram...but bet he plays.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

Sure he's made plenty of mistakes, but I'm sure that he believed that playing Eddy & McQualter were the best options at the time… To be honest, there weren't a whole swag of better players in the stands either?
A Hammil - 2 weeks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

should be a good game this weekend. we have had the wood on norf the last few years - but they are playing good footy at the moment. should be very close.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:should be a good game this weekend. we have had the wood on norf the last few years - but they are playing good footy at the moment. should be very close.
Except they beat us, along with the Bombers, at the end of "the streak" in 2009!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

In: Will Johnson, Tom Lynch and Tom Ledger

Out: Kosi, Gamble and Gram.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lol at on the block

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 6041482103

ST KILDA

INJURED:
Jarryn Geary (fibula) 1 week
Michael Gardiner (knee) 1 week
Jamie Cripps (calf) indefinite
Lenny Hayes (knee) season
Jason Blake (knee) TBA

ON THE BLOCK: Raph Clarke, Sean Dempster

ON THE CUSP: Andrew McQualter, Tom Ledger, Will Johnson, Tom Simpkin

BRUCE MATTHEWS' FORECAST: Must find replacements for Justin Koschitzke (suspension) and Jason Blake (knee). Raph Clarke, the sub two weeks ago, had a run in the VFL last weekend and Dempster should hold his place after a creditable tagging job on Steve Johnson. Jarryn Geary started back after a serious leg injury, but will need more time with Sandy and Michael Gardiner suffered a hamstring setback, pulling out of his planned comeback game.

saint58
Club Player

bigred wrote:Play the kids ffs.

The season is over. Get some games into them NOW.

I agree with you big red but ross in an artical a few weeks ago in the HS said he has DROPED THE YOUTH POLICY!For experience so we wont see any of the kids unless there is injury or suspension.

So Mini will come in with joey only changes,maybe next season we will have to wait and see on Walsh,Stanley,Johnson,Archer.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saint58 wrote:
bigred wrote:Play the kids ffs.

The season is over. Get some games into them NOW.

I agree with you big red but ross in an artical a few weeks ago in the HS said he has DROPED THE YOUTH POLICY!For experience so we wont see any of the kids unless there is injury or suspension.

So Mini will come in with joey only changes,maybe next season we will have to wait and see on Walsh,Stanley,Johnson,Archer.
You believe the crap in the Herald Sun?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
spert
Saintsational Legend

I prefer coach Scott at Geelong's approach -play the kids as much as possible and give them responsibility. I don't think Schneider, Milne and Gram are providing any worth at the moment, and should take a trip to Sandy at the selection table.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Surely, if the coaching staff are so keen to go the bigger, older bodies against an older side like Geelong, then they'll be happy to go the other way with a younger side like the Kangas???

Which should mean we see Siposs and Ledger come back into the side, the 2 guys who have shown the most this year (apart from maybe Cripps).

Ross also said on the Triple M interview after the Cats game that they were really keen to get Walsh into the side to have a crack. I'd get him into the side right now, with an eye on West Coast in a couple of weeks. He'd be handy to have against the forward line of Lynch, Kennedy and Darling, but needs a couple of games under the belt to get a feel for it.

Still doesn't fix our forward line problem. I still think Roo/Kosi/Siposs is the ideal way to go. But I'm not convinced Johnson can come in to fill Kosi's position, they play too differently. I think Archer is the closest "like-for-like" for Kosi, but he seems to have fallen in the pecking order a bit, so Johnson appears to be the man.

So, I would like to see:

Out: Kosi, Gram, Clarke
In: Siposs, Ledger, Johnson

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Surely, if the coaching staff are so keen to go the bigger, older bodies against an older side like Geelong, then they'll be happy to go the other way with a younger side like the Kangas???

Which should mean we see Siposs and Ledger come back into the side, the 2 guys who have shown the most this year (apart from maybe Cripps).

Ross also said on the Triple M interview after the Cats game that they were really keen to get Walsh into the side to have a crack. I'd get him into the side right now, with an eye on West Coast in a couple of weeks. He'd be handy to have against the forward line of Lynch, Kennedy and Darling, but needs a couple of games under the belt to get a feel for it.

Still doesn't fix our forward line problem. I still think Roo/Kosi/Siposs is the ideal way to go. But I'm not convinced Johnson can come in to fill Kosi's position, they play too differently. I think Archer is the closest "like-for-like" for Kosi, but he seems to have fallen in the pecking order a bit, so Johnson appears to be the man.

So, I would like to see:

Out: Kosi, Gram, Clarke
In: Siposs, Ledger, Johnson
I'll go:

Out: Kosi and 2 of Gram, Clarke or Gamble
In: Walsh, Ledger, Johnson

matrix
Saintsational Legend

out koz (sus) raph (reserves game)
in ledger and either johnson or walsh

prob johnson

mohannair
Club Player

Who will control Petrie?

The game will be won in curtailing Petrie & Goldstein as I said in my earlier post.

Dempster did a great job against Steve J so I think he may be a candidate.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:Who will control Petrie?

The game will be won in curtailing Petrie & Goldstein as I said in my earlier post.

Dempster did a great job against Steve J so I think he may be a candidate.
Only if we want to lose for sure.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We will so go stodgy.

Flood fest.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We know we have to replace Kosi.
Then I suggest we replace a couple of those with the worse disposal, you know, the ones who cannot find a target and just blaze away. Replace them with the youngsters who can pass the ball. We will improve instantly.

Rosco
Club Player

not a whole lot of love for siposs in the last page or so, most not bringing him in. i think he should play, he has shown something and if he can his hands on it a few times (which admittedly he hasn't managed too much so far) he could really get a big confidence boost from a bag of 3 or 4. he has such a good boot that you'd expect a 3.0 to 4.1 return if we can get it to him.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

OUT: Raph, Gram, Kosi
IN: Mini, Johnson or Walsh, Ledger

No, that wasnt a typo, IN MINI, i have a funny feeling he will be in this week, and if my feeling is correct i think war may just break out.

Sainter for life.