How about you just worry about getting a kick mate...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Both tweets were amusing however most seem to just be having a go at Zac.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought OneHD's tweet was equally inappropriate and demeaning. Regardless of "who started it" I think the response suggesting Zac won't be in the AFL next year was rather childish and, more importantly, unprofessional.

Just saying.
Looks like it is just me!
Nah i totally agree, and i made my opinion about it to them known :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Zac publicly bagging a premiership coach and premiership player......shows how intelligent he is....

Especially the one of the persons responsible for getting lyon the job at stk.

As much as he is disliked, walls debuted as a schoolboy at carlton and made a better fist of it the Zacs early effort, he went on to be a premiership star, 200 gamer, captain, coach and commentator.....will zac ever achieve anything close to that.....and walls of the few playera to ever kick ten in a half of footy

Zac was delisted at hawthorn, had some nude photos, then went out in new zealand and got suspended.....he needs to focus more on not being towelled up by power fwds so often...
My lord you can be pompous.

A bloke has the temerity to have little more than a rather comical view about a bloke who commentates on footy like it's still 1972 and generally irritates footy listeners everywhere, a bloke, I might add, whose criticisms of said player have been unnecessarily personal over the journey, and you think it's time to get all hoity toity because commentator has a medallion and player doesn't.

Walls coaching credentials are in neat parallel with his relevance as a commentator.

He was good when he was proximate to the kind of game he played (Fitzroy and Carlton), but horrible when the game began to change (Bears and Richmond).

He's a dinosaur of the type we give way too much weight too in the current age. Blight's the same. And they're not alone.

Walls deserves a slap back. Sure enough, if he's man enough like the thugs of his his era, he'll be able to cop it sweet. Christ knows how many unwarranted, half-baked, poorly informed, and insulting opinions he's dished up in the past. And you whimper at the first one he cops publicly?

These newsmaking peckerheads get away with drivel on a daily basis.

Silly.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joffa

Whose critsisim will carry more weight?
With whom? Walls comments have never carried any weight with me.

Zac - can defend himself and call a commentator s.hit if he likes.

You are entitled to call Zac dumb if you like
BigMart wrote:Not needed, he is in no position to start throwing around insults......typical gen Y foolish behaviour
Gen Y, like any other generation is entitled to defend themselves. Zac Dawson has a platform to defend himself from hasbeen blowhards whose opinion change, not day by day, but quarter by quarter.

Why should some old middle aged guy be immune to critisism, especially from someone he has personally and professionally insulted?

Good on Zac AFAIAC.

About time these arrogant commentators are held responsible for their views by the very people they critisise.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Zac publicly bagging a premiership coach and premiership player......shows how intelligent he is....

As much as he is disliked, walls debuted as a schoolboy at carlton and made a better fist of it the Zacs early effort, he went on to be a premiership star, 200 gamer, captain, coach and commentator.....will zac ever achieve anything close to that.....and walls of the few playera to ever kick ten in a half of footy

Zac was delisted at hawthorn, had some nude photos, then went out in new zealand and got suspended.....he needs to focus more on not being towelled up by power fwds so often...

Pretty sure it was based on Walls as a commentator.

Or is the greater public not allowed to critisize his media work because of his 'football achievements'.....

We might as well close down the forum.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Grantaire wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Grantaire wrote:While I'm no fan of Walls- in fact, I hate the bastard- I did chuckle at the Ch 10 response to Zac. He really should be concentrating on his footy, I don't think he's in a position to be sledging anyone at the moment. Frankly, I hope you lot keep him on your list forever.
You lot?

Who do you support Grantaire?
The pies.
well f*** off then

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:I realise Walls has been relentless in his pushing for Zac to get the sack from his job, but show you're the bigger person IMO.
Agree, but is that true of Walls? Has he been running an agenda on Zac?
Well yes, he isn't crazy about him, and probably takes it to a personal level.

However Walls is still very much a senior writer for the Age, a voice on the radio, and will probably get a job with channel 7 given they appreciate his type of commentator.

Why paint yourself with a target?

All that aside, I think it's a little selfish of Zac in the sense that this was probably the only week where Saints were guaranteed no negative headlines, and boom....he can't help himself.

Have a thought for the club that has been PR'ing itself crazy for months now, and all the calls they have probably received this morning asking for dial a quotes.

It's actually not fair.
Who cares.

1. We should be supporting Zac.

2. The response from an organization that currently broadcasts football was pathetic and immature and quickly deleted. 10hd follows Zac, Zac didn't direct his comment directly to the 10hd account.

3. Zac is already a target. An easy target for many commentators. Allows them to have some 'strong' opinions without risk of backlash.

4. If this makes a difference in the scheme of things, a player having an opinion of a commontator, well we don't deserve to be playing edfl, let alone the national competition.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Pretty sure it was based on Walls as a commentator.

Or is the greater public not allowed to critisize his media work because of his 'football achievements'.....

We might as well close down the forum.
+1

I would never want to demean RW's achievements as a player: he was one of the best I've seen. He wasn't a bad coach either. And he's even generally OK in print.

But on TV he tends to just say the first thing that comes into his rather empty head. And these half-baked thoughts tend to be steeped in his various prejudices: and he's a man who seems to bear a lot of grudges and petty resentments.

Lane, Walls and Maher....what a trio. It'd probably be true to say that I'd miss them, but that's because I haven't done enough target practice..... :wink:
Last edited by meher baba on Fri 24 Jun 2011 1:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mich13
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Both tweets were amusing however most seem to just be having a go at Zac.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought OneHD's tweet was equally inappropriate and demeaning. Regardless of "who started it" I think the response suggesting Zac won't be in the AFL next year was rather childish and, more importantly, unprofessional.

Just saying.
Looks like it is just me!
Nah i totally agree, and i made my opinion about it to them known :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same here!!

"You can get more money elsewhere, but [St Kilda] is our home, we love it to death, so why would you want to leave?"

- Nick Dal Santo 21 Jun 2005
stinger
Saintsational Legend

the press have been giving it to the saints all year.....zac has a right to an opinion.....press hate the fact that the general public....or footballers... now have access to social media to hit back at them in a more public way.....zac's tweet will make it all the worse for him...every time he drops a mark or makes a mistake we will be reminded of his impolite but warranted tweet......that's the nature of the beast...and the reason i intensely dislike journos.....remember that old joke about pommies.....well it applies to journos who have breed to plague proportions.....

just to remind you.....

"journos are now like seagulls....eat anything...s*** everywhere and you never see a dead one....."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:There are different points of view here, depending on where you sit :

Zac - made his point in a not too dramatic way. He was obviously unhappy with the comments and criticism that Walls made about him and used the opportunity to hit back.

The Club - probably disappointed that this opens attention again to potential negative media exposure. There is no news in good stories!

The Supporters - clearly are supporting our player and so we should. Players need and appreciate supporter support from time to time when things get a bit tough. It's always easy to take the "cheap shot" and be critical.

Overall - Robert Walls has been at Zac for a while now. Zac has hit back, but not in a malicious way. Let things lie now and don't inflame with further comment Zac. :wink:
I think part of it is the generation gap too.

That's pretty much what you do these days when you have something to say - you tweet your thoughts. And also these days, you freely air your thoughts.

Old people think it's rude, obnoxious, disrespectful and not on.

Young people don't really know any better. It's pretty much how you communicate in this day and age if you're under the age of 35.

Footy clubs need to understand Gen-Y. Not try to change it.

I managed Gen-Y staff in a corporate environment for years. They do things differently, the same as I did things differently to my 50 year old bosses.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

As much as I agree with Zac, it was dumb, and immature IMO...

I can't stand Walls, and along with Maher and Darcy, are main reasons I take no notice of the main footy shows on Ch.10 anymore...

The fact that Walls now may be out of a job (reality is he's still on radio, print, and will probably get a gig at 7 or fox), is not enough leverage for Zac to put the boots in...

He's tried to kick Walls whilst his down, and I don't consider this a smart or courageous act...

Zac deserves to cop it over this, and rightly will... Going by past form, this will probably translate to poor onfield performance for him too, as he seems a mentally weak character, so he is shooting himself in the foot in many ways...

In other tweeting news, my old man reminded me on an old Greek saying last night, which translates to "TELL THE TRUTH TO HIDE A LIE"...

This relates directly to Swans tweet of outsmarting the drug testers, supposedly tongue in cheek...

I am convinced he's on the gear now...

Jakes
Club Player

Good to see that the majority of the posters seem to now be supporting Zac as opposed to the earlier posters.

But in all seriousness it's not about blindly supporting Zac because he's a Saints player - but respecting his right to have an opinion. He's had a pretty ordinary year to date but he's played more games than anyone on this forum and we (and rightfully so) think we deserve to have our opinions heard.

Other refreshing tweets:

Melbourne players criticising the Trengrove suspension - This was a friggen joke and came back to bite us with Kosi getting suspended, because of the precedent set, there was no point in risking the extra week. Naturally they'll back their team-mate but should still respect the content of the messages.

Thomas and Swan's comments about Arizona and drug testing - It was humorous and although Swan's line of "too smart for you" is a little bit cheeky - I think him complaining about 6am drug tests is fair enough.

In fact going further, Collingwood fans are actually really enjoying the twitter comments from their players as they see it as a great interaction between the players and supporters. Granted it's easier when you are the reigning premiers but given the amount of complaints from forumites about feeling disengaged as members, is that not a way to prevent this. The real thoughts of an AFL player as opposed the token text msg with Nick Riewoldt's name at the bottom.

SainterSoul
Club Player

I think what Dawson said is a bit funny. Walls is a knob.

Though Dawson should probably just shutup.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:As much as I agree with Zac, it was dumb, and immature IMO...

I can't stand Walls, and along with Maher and Darcy, are main reasons I take no notice of the main footy shows on Ch.10 anymore...

The fact that Walls now may be out of a job (reality is he's still on radio, print, and will probably get a gig at 7 or fox), is not enough leverage for Zac to put the boots in...

He's tried to kick Walls whilst his down, and I don't consider this a smart or courageous act...

Zac deserves to cop it over this, and rightly will... Going by past form, this will probably translate to poor onfield performance for him too, as he seems a mentally weak character, so he is shooting himself in the foot in many ways...

In other tweeting news, my old man reminded me on an old Greek saying last night, which translates to "TELL THE TRUTH TO HIDE A LIE"...

This relates directly to Swans tweet of outsmarting the drug testers, supposedly tongue in cheek...

Walls makes A LIVING out of kicking people when they're down.

By your logic what does that make him?

He's a freaking dinosaur who deserves a few back.

The bloke's s*** me to tears for years.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

Sadly that’s the way society has gone.

Notwithstanding that Walls himself is a dinosaur:

- You will not get a gig as a Commentator/Journalist unless you are consistently controversial (Hutchie and Barrett would not be on the Footy Show if they only presented feel good stories).

- You won’t get a gig on any of the plethora of Reality Shows unless you’re feisty and are prepared to make life uncomfortable for others.

- Your tweets won’t get reported unless they are controversial or derogatory to others.

Of course Bruce goes too far the other way, however that is allowable in a Chief Sports Caller and Anchor

It’s a competitive field and the media execs are going to keep going for those who are prepared to be controversial.

No doubt that’s how Walls rolls anyway. And if he were to change his ways he would completely disappear from the radar.

In life and in the media, sadly, these days you have to sink the boots in to get ahead and remain relevant. :(

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

You've said it Zac, now back it up on the field like we know you can with a bit of attitude and daring a la 2009

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I've never forgotten Walls' comments about Goose after Hall gut-punched him in the PF.

AFAIC, if Zac can cop it from Walls, then he's fully entitled to give some back to Walls.
I always considered him to be a 'sniper' when he played and he's proven to be just as much of a 'sniper' as a commentator.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Sadly that’s the way society has gone.

Notwithstanding that Walls himself is a dinosaur:

- You will not get a gig as a Commentator/Journalist unless you are consistently controversial (Hutchie and Barrett would not be on the Footy Show if they only presented feel good stories).

- You won’t get a gig on any of the plethora of Reality Shows unless you’re feisty and are prepared to make life uncomfortable for others.

- Your tweets won’t get reported unless they are controversial or derogatory to others.

Of course Bruce goes too far the other way, however that is allowable in a Chief Sports Caller and Anchor

It’s a competitive field and the media execs are going to keep going for those who are prepared to be controversial.

No doubt that’s how Walls rolls anyway. And if he were to change his ways he would completely disappear from the radar.

In life and in the media, sadly, these days you have to sink the boots in to get ahead and remain relevant. :(
Not sure that's always the case. I always found Nathan Buckley when commentating to be very balanced. So when he did have something a bit controversial to say it actually meant something ie the Fev spray after the blues played the saints in 08 or 09? It's not just another rant from a 'look at me' type commentator. The same goes for Tom Harley I reckon.

I don't want to listen to bland commentators all the time who tell me what I can see in front of my eyes. If someone provides a weak effort, I don't mind it being pointed out either - just as long as that person has the credibility behind them. For mine herein lies the problem. Walls is becoming more and more irrelevant. 30 years ago he revolutionised footy with kick outs, zones, etc with Fitzroy. Took a team who had been bottom of the ladder the previous year to within a point of a prelim the next year. 2 years later the Roys were very unlucky not to win the flag. However that was 30 years ago when footy was completely different. He's only slightly more relevant than Sam Newman these days.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At least he has been there and done it....and suceeded

Look, i hate the guy.....but i still understand and acknowledge walls for his achievements.... for zac to open up on an ex champion, shows a liitle bit about him, and his lack of a clue...

For those who dont know

3 premierships as a player.....one motm in a gf
1 premiership as coach

250 odd games
450 goals

AFL hall of fame, Carlton hall of fame

He may come across as a moron, but history says he was no fool.....and as a

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A player, he was certainly in a different league to zac...

Question is, why did zac even have to do it.....is he a bit precious, perhaps he needs to htfu and ignore the critisism.....or does he get a touch defensive due to its validity....

And as far as haviving to treat gen y's different......perhaps it is they who need to adapt their thinking and understand what respect is....

People who have been there and done it, deserve some from pimply faced wannabe's who in many cases are nothing more than superficial, spoilt, lazy try hards....which is how zac has come across imo.....a whinging bitch

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:A player, he was certainly in a different league to zac...
True, Walls played in the VFL, whereas Zac plays in the AFL (yes I know it;s a smartar$e response, but I cannot help myself)
Question is, why did zac even have to do it.....is he a bit precious, perhaps he needs to htfu and ignore the critisism.....or does he get a touch defensive due to its validity....
Well given that you've made your mind up without actually knowing, there's simply no point in you asking him directly is there?
And as far as haviving to treat gen y's different......perhaps it is they
who need to adapt their thinking and understand what respect is....

People who have been there and done it, deserve some from pimply faced wannabe's who in many cases are nothing more than superficial, spoilt, lazy try hards....which is how zac has come across imo.....a whinging bitch
Couldn't agree more with you about the respect issue.
Those who have done it deserve respect from those of us who haven't.
Applies to people on fan forums as well.
We often think we know better and post derogatory opinions about players, coaches, officials and administrators with a total lack of respect to those who have actually played, coached, officiated or administered.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
BigMart wrote: People who have been there and done it, deserve some from pimply faced wannabe's who in many cases are nothing more than superficial, spoilt, lazy try hards....which is how zac has come across imo.....a whinging bitch
We often think we know better and post derogatory opinions about players, coaches, officials and administrators with a total lack of respect to those who have actually played, coached, officiated or administered.
I don't agree to be honest.

You can respect the achievement, but you don't have to respect the person.
I was referring to respecting their achievements, not necessarily their comments or personality.

eg, I respect Ackermanis' playing ability.
i don't respect his commentary or the personality I see portrayed in the media.

I respect Eddie Maguire's ability to run CollingFilth, CH 9, Maguire media.
BUT I don't respect the 'Maguire personality' that we get to see publicly.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
BigMart wrote: People who have been there and done it, deserve some from pimply faced wannabe's who in many cases are nothing more than superficial, spoilt, lazy try hards....which is how zac has come across imo.....a whinging bitch

I was referring to respecting their achievements, not necessarily their comments or personality.

Yeah, I agree with that.

But in this case, just because Robert Walls played in a premiership and was good at sport, in no way means he's off the hook in terms of copping s*** for being an arsehole!

I mean, if he walked up to BigMart in the street and punched him in the face, does he let him walk away because he deserves respect cause he played in a flag!

It's like when Homer becomes a teacher in the Simpsons. He runs red lights and does what he likes and merely tells everyone "It's all right! I'm a teacher."

Is that how it's supposed to work for guys who played in premierships?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that.

But in this case, just because Robert Walls played in a premiership and was good at sport, in no way means he's off the hook in terms of copping s*** for being an arsehole!

I mean, if he walked up to BigMart in the street and punched him in the face, does he let him walk away because he deserves respect cause he played in a flag!

It's like when Homer becomes a teacher in the Simpsons. He runs red lights and does what he likes and merely tells everyone "It's all right! I'm a teacher."

Is that how it's supposed to work for guys who played in premierships?[/quote]

Not by me.
I can't talk for others though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that.

It's like when Homer becomes a teacher in the Simpsons. He runs red lights and does what he likes and merely tells everyone "It's all right!  I'm a teacher."

Is that how it's supposed to work for guys who played in premierships?
Well if all it takes is Premierships and other achievements to justify respect and provide amnesty from criticism, how come the posters who are jumping to Walls' defense never jump in when we all get stuck right in to Malthouse? Or Sheedy? Or.....

Are those posters being a wee bit selective?

Just asking.