Trading hypothetical????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Nick

Re: Trading hypothetical????

InkerSaint wrote:
St Nick wrote:That's a big if!!!! Granted, we do have some young talent but after being a top side for nearly a decade, we have not had access to early draft picks. Teams such as Melbourne, Richmond and Essendon have much better "Young Talent" than us. That's the whole reason why we have the draft.

Look at the top teams from the early naughties. Where are they on the ladder now??? Brisbane, Port, St kilda. Only Geelong have been able to stay up there thanks to their father son selections bonanza. But that's for another thread.
Sorry, where are Melbourne and Richmond on the ladder right now? And you're a fool if you think that St. Kilda is in the same predicament as Port and Brisbane.

Isn't this the same poster that was crying out for Rhys Stanley to be selected? (Oh, and by the way, it's "Rhys", not "Reece".) Where's your faith now?
We are not as bad as Port and Brisbane this year, thats true....
I still want Rhys to be selected ahead of Kosi as I do for most of our youngsters. What's your point?

Grantaire
Opposition Fan

St Nick wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
St Nick wrote:Ok.
Personally I would accept this. I'll tell you why.

Our team did everything humanly possible to win a flag. With an ounce of luck we should have won it in 09 and in 10. We weren't far away in 04 and 05 as well. Unfortunately time stands still for noone. The time to re-build is now. And I mean a full re-build. I don't want the Saints to be like Sydney, who since their successive Grand Finals keep making the 8 but are never a reallistic challenger.

If we took the above deal then we would be well on the way to re-building the list and challenging again. If we didn't take the above deal then we would continue to be mid table at best for another 3 or 4 years. IMHO, we may as well re-build now rather than just treading water.
I think you're wrong about our prospects, if we can find some existing young talent to emerge on our list there's a chance to go again. Hell, if Geelong can do it I don't see why we can't.

Let's go back to your original post. Our one and only hope of challenging before the rest of our core retires is in the next couple of years. Once Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo and Goddard are past their best or retire, that's it for about 5-6 years by which time *maybe* Goddard will still be in the team. We won't have a solid core of 100-gamers from our next generation until about then, and that's what you need to challenge for a flag.

Rebuilding now would cut the heart out of the team, leadership would evaporate, and we will be struggling for a lot longer than that. It won't happen. You won't see it.
That's a big if!!!! Granted, we do have some young talent but after being a top side for nearly a decade, we have not had access to early draft picks. Teams such as Melbourne, Richmond and Essendon have much better "Young Talent" than us. That's the whole reason why we have the draft.

Look at the top teams from the early naughties. Where are they on the ladder now??? Brisbane, Port, St kilda. Only Geelong have been able to stay up there thanks to their father son selections bonanza. But that's for another thread.
It's possible to stay at the top of the ladder AND improve your list. You just need to adequately fund your football department.

In answer to the OP, I wouldn't be trading Goddard for anything. Get him signed up ASAP. Riewoldt... not so sure. His head is clearly not in the right place, and he doesn't look a patch on the player he was 18 months ago. Perhaps a change of scene would do him (and you) good?

Although BG has had pretty poor form this season as well, for some reason I rate him as more likely to turn it around than NR- he strikes me as less mentally fragile.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

St Nick wrote:We are not as bad as Port and Brisbane this year, thats true....
I still want Rhys to be selected ahead of Kosi as I do for most of our youngsters. What's your point?
What do you mean, what's my point? I made it two posts ago. What's your point?

So finding some existing young talent is a big "if" according to you. I'll throw a few names at you. Lynch. Walsh. Winmar. Johnson. Simpkin. And here's a few more names that will be infinitely more promising with a second pre-season under their belts. Cripps. Ledger. Crocker. Siposs. Curren.

Game-breaking youngsters don't always go in the top-10. We were carved up a few weeks ago by pick 75 from the 2008 draft. What was this guy doing a year ago? He couldn't get a kick in a struggling team.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

St Nick wrote:What if GWS offered us pick 3 and pick 15 for Goddard and GCS offered us pick 9 and pick 21 for Riewoldt? Should the Saints accept? Could that be our one and only hope of re-building and challenging again before the rest of our core retires?

Discuss.
I would not ever take this trade in a million years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No point really. If were to lose those players and get those picks by the time the young kids become guns, if they do then we have also lost Joey, Dal, Lenny, Fish, Milney and plenty other good back up.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Joffa 5 wrote:Can the mods see if St Nick's IP is attached to another poster? This has to be a gee up. And quite an amusing one I might add :lol:
Off course it would be - it's almost blatant, same 2 players on the trade table, similar assault style when questioned - another recent reg :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Nick wrote:What if GWS offered us pick 3 and pick 15 for Goddard and GCS offered us pick 9 and pick 21 for Riewoldt? Should the Saints accept? Could that be our one and only hope of re-building and challenging again before the rest of our core retires?

Discuss.
Richmond got two first round draft picks for Ottens.

Judd, 3,20 and Kennedy.

With all the picks and for the caliber of player, id expect double that to even consider it.

St Nick

Spinner wrote:

Discuss.
Richmond got two first round draft picks for Ottens.

Judd, 3,20 and Kennedy.

With all the picks and for the caliber of player, id expect double that to even consider it.
Judd was 24 though. Riewoldt is 29 this October!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :idea: :idea:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Got to be a bit blunt, but out of Goddard and Reiwoldt, Goddard must be retained as he is the complete footballer. Reiwoldt has failed in three grand finals, and as a captain this season, has not been able to lead by example, is getting beaten in on-on-one contests too often, which is not a great example for our young players coming through. We need to build a new forward line if we are to have a crack at another premiership, and the prospect of seeing Siposs, Ledger, Cripps, Walsh, maybe Johnson and Stanley coming through is more exciting than the prospect of ever reaching another GF and seeing the same old names go missing in action again. Expect a big cull at the end of this season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Got to be a bit blunt, but out of Goddard and Reiwoldt, Goddard must be retained as he is the complete footballer. Reiwoldt has failed in three grand finals, and as a captain this season, has not been able to lead by example, is getting beaten in on-on-one contests too often, which is not a great example for our young players coming through. We need to build a new forward line if we are to have a crack at another premiership, and the prospect of seeing Siposs, Ledger, Cripps, Walsh, maybe Johnson and Stanley coming through is more exciting than the prospect of ever reaching another GF and seeing the same old names go missing in action again. Expect a big cull at the end of this season.
I initially was wondering what number hypothetical wore but I am now wondering about your ability to remember games.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember all the GFs mate -all the losses, and who did and didn't perform. Premierships give you bragging rights, we have diddly squat since '66- nothing else counts.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't trade Goddard

but Roo... well with the right offer... he is past his best