Collingwood's Draw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But this about the pies travelling so you are the one twisting it by bringing up your stats. My question was simple, how many games have we won and where were they played. I will say it again and it is proven with stats, travelling is overated for good sides but playing other good sides isnt.

this is about how often the pies play at their home ground (the mcg) as compared to away from their home ground (the mcg).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:But this about the pies travelling so you are the one twisting it by bringing up your stats. My question was simple, how many games have we won and where were they played. I will say it again and it is proven with stats, travelling is overated for good sides but playing other good sides isnt.

this is about how often the pies play at their home ground (the mcg) as compared to away from their home ground (the mcg).
Seems its about both to me. Didnt we play something like 14 at Ethad 2 years ago and people whinged we didnt have enough games at the G.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

well they do get 45,000+ people every week whoever they play in Melbourne, we cant even get 40,000 to our home game against a big team like Geelong.

every club requests to play collingwood in a home game, for financial reasons, but each team only playes 11 home and 11 away. obviously the AFL would rather them play an away game at the G vs the tigers where the crowd could hit in the 80's...more money for richmond, more money for the AFL, rather play Brisbane vs Collingwood, where they know that stadium wont crack over 48,000 and they would only be making roughly half the money.

until we hit over 50k members, have half of Australia watching us on tv each week and average 55,000 people to our games each week dont expect much in return.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Seems its about both to me. Didnt we play something like 14 at Ethad 2 years ago and people whinged we didnt have enough games at the G.
I don't think may people whinged about it.

Getting a cushy H&A run is a massive advantage. What gives me the s***s is when you play 'home' finals against teams at the MCG when the MCG is actually their home ground.

Happened in 2006 against Melbourne, and in 2005 we played Sydney at the G for our 'home' prelim when they'd played more games at the G throughout the year than we had.

Just another AFL stuff up to add to the list.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:well they do get 45,000+ people every week whoever they play in Melbourne, we cant even get 40,000 to our home game against a big team like Geelong.

every club requests to play collingwood in a home game, for financial reasons, but each team only playes 11 home and 11 away. obviously the AFL would rather them play an away game at the G vs the tigers where the crowd could hit in the 80's...more money for richmond, more money for the AFL, rather play Brisbane vs Collingwood, where they know that stadium wont crack over 48,000 and they would only be making roughly half the money.

until we hit over 50k members, have half of Australia watching us on tv each week and average 55,000 people to our games each week dont expect much in return.
and more money for dim sim....just gos to show how wrong it is that that pricks salary is fixed at a percentage of total revenue........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:well they do get 45,000+ people every week whoever they play in Melbourne, we cant even get 40,000 to our home game against a big team like Geelong.

I'm not sure you understand the point.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Getting a cushy H&A run is a massive advantage. What gives me the s***s is when you play 'home' finals against teams at the MCG when the MCG is actually their home ground.

Happened in 2006 against Melbourne, and in 2005 we played Sydney at the G for our 'home' prelim when they'd played more games at the G throughout the year than we had.

What are you talking about. Where else could we play those sides in the finals. Sounds like whinging for whinging sake. Do we want no one to play on the G until finals time. Fair dinkum.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thought their draw last year was quite tough, but flipside thought it helped them. To be the best, you gotta beat the best.

Soft draws help get you there, but you don't get there battle hardened.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What are you talking about. Where else could we play those sides in the finals. Sounds like whinging for whinging sake. Do we want no one to play on the G until finals time. Fair dinkum.
If the AFL hadn't have stuffed up, we'd play our 'home' prelims at Docklands.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The draw is just ridiculous. I still cant get my head around how we have played Geelong twice in 11 games when there are 17 teams?

The excuse/reason always given is teams request to play the Pies in Melbourne for the gate receipts. But its incredibly tilted playing field. They never seem to travel.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's a well known fact that Ferals breed at a faster rate.

Not much we can do about it :(

saint tash
Club Player

So we never had the chance to go to the MCG as a home ground????

I'd say if we had the chance why didnt we grab it.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
clisaint
Club Player

saint tash wrote:So we never had the chance to go to the MCG as a home ground????

Yeah, like the AFL would give us that dream opportunity. f*** I hate the free ride Collingwood gets for everything- draw, everything goes their way trades / drafts, Westpac centre, mid-season training trips.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the whole point is the smaller teams can't improve their crowds and memberships while they are so disadvantaged against the higher profile clubs.
as for interstate not being a disadvantage look at teams home state records vs interstate records. then also factor in the record of playing the week after traveling vs not traveling.

so the pies are advantaged and more likely to play finals, which again contributes to memberships and profile.

the afl is basically promoting a system of haves and have nots and are simply passing out welfare to the clubs disadvantaged by the system, rather than allowing them fair opportunity to break the system.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Yep but they have 4 away in the second half of the season. That may not help them. I dont think it matters where you play if you are a great side and unfortunately they are.
But this is also an advantage, with the easy draw in the first half, they lock in a top 4 spot and can rest players on those interstate trips whereas teams trying to catch up have to keep pushing. They then come into the finals in much better shape. The whole system is completely corrupt.

saint tash
Club Player

clisaint wrote:
saint tash wrote:So we never had the chance to go to the MCG as a home ground????

Yeah, like the AFL would give us that dream opportunity. f*** I hate the free ride Collingwood gets for everything- draw, everything goes their way trades / drafts, Westpac centre, mid-season training trips.
+1 and a few zeros......... :evil:

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

clisaint wrote:

Yep....that’s what happens when your club is successful with 60,000 members and 16 premierships.

We have had more than enough chances to win a second premiership, in a perfect world we would be sitting on about 6 or 7, but we're not, so get used to having a s*** fixture, and membership numbers until we actually succeed. Until then nobody is going to request to play us and we will keep having 6 interstate games each year.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saint tash
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
clisaint wrote:

Yep....that’s what happens when your club is successful with 60,000 members and 16 premierships.

We have had more than enough chances to win a second premiership, in a perfect world we would be sitting on about 6 or 7, but we're not, so get used to having a s*** fixture, and membership numbers until we actually succeed. Until then nobody is going to request to play us and we will keep having 6 interstate games each year.
15th!! :evil:

But OTOH they have 70K + members..... :roll:
Last edited by saint tash on Wed 22 Jun 2011 7:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately, as with most things, might is right. 70,000 members and enormous crowd-pulling capacity, means those who run the competition will always bow to the filth. The AFL is in the entertainment business, and as such will always try to maximise audience attendance. If you were in AD's position, what would you do? Help the basket case clubs and watch your own piece of the pie disintegrate? Or would you grab all the extra goodies on offer for maximising attendences?

I don't know any of you personally so I can't say for sure, but if most of us were confronted with the incentive of making hundreds of thousands of extra dollars a year by boosting attendances, I'm pretty sure I know what you'd be doing. As Paul Keating famously said, "Always back self-interest. At least you know it will be trying!"

I'm proud of our boys for running the filth so close in a rigged race. We overcame every obstacle to almost put them away. Unfortunately, I think that was our last shot in the locker for a while. Still admire those saints for what they achieved in GF1.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint tash
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Unfortunately, as with most things, might is right. 70,000 members and enormous crowd-pulling capacity, means those who run the competition will always bow to the filth. The AFL is in the entertainment business, and as such will always try to maximise audience attendance. If you were in AD's position, what would you do? Help the basket case clubs and watch your own piece of the pie disintegrate? Or would you grab all the extra goodies on offer for maximising attendences?

I don't know any of you personally so I can't say for sure, but if most of us were confronted with the incentive of making hundreds of thousands of extra dollars a year by boosting attendances, I'm pretty sure I know what you'd be doing. As Paul Keating famously said, "Always back self-interest. At least you know it will be trying!"

I'm proud of our boys for running the filth so close in a rigged race. We overcame every obstacle to almost put them away. Unfortunately, I think that was our last shot in the locker for a while. Still admire those saints for what they achieved in GF1.
Yep close enough is good enough. :?:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I hear you saint tash. I didn't mean for it to come across as a good enough near miss, the way we've always been. What I meant was that it has been pretty amazing to come so close with all the odds stacked against us! I had a dream the other night that I was reincarnated and returned to Victoria in the year 3046. Collingwood had won 280 premierships, Carlton 220 and Essendon 195. Goald coast had won 78 and GWS 58 flags. We had still only won one. At least we'd been runners-up 159 times. Oh the pain of being a saints supporter!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I hear you saint tash. I didn't mean for it to come across as a good enough near miss, the way we've always been. What I meant was that it has been pretty amazing to come so close with all the odds stacked against us! I had a dream the other night that I was reincarnated and returned to Victoria in the year 3046. Collingwood had won 280 premierships, Carlton 220 and Essendon 195. Goald coast had won 78 and GWS 58 flags. We had still only won one. At least we'd been runners-up 159 times. Oh the pain of being a saints supporter!
the world would of come to and end by then and we would all be dead so that will never happen.

think on the positive side though, all those premierships and members collingwood have will mean nothing as they will all be destroyed. :)

totallyfrank
Club Player

They've won 14 of their last 18 interstate games including 7 of the last 8.

They've won all their interstate finals in that period (2).

That's a win rate of 78%!

Do we really want them playing more games out of Melbourne? :o

By contrast their record at the G for the same period is 64.18% (2007-2010).

Good sides win anywhere. In fact 10 of the last 20 Premierships were won by teams who played roughly half their h&a games interstate, not to mention finals.

If you aim to fail and succeed, what have you done?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

totallyfrank wrote:They've won 14 of their last 18 interstate games including 7 of the last 8.

They've won all their interstate finals in that period (2).

That's a win rate of 78%!

Do we really want them playing more games out of Melbourne? :o

By contrast their record at the G for the same period is 64.18% (2007-2010).

Good sides win anywhere. In fact 10 of the last 20 Premierships were won by teams who played roughly half their h&a games interstate, not to mention finals.
Please dontt use stats that make sense. People will just come up with some other silly thing like we should play our finals at Etihad.

totallyfrank
Club Player

er.. sorry about that :)

If you aim to fail and succeed, what have you done?