Buying a forward for 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be surprised if Ross has a crack at a young forward that he can re-build around.

I'm thinking Sam Reid from the Swans (although having another key forward with goal kicking yips would be a worry!).

None of the GC kids will be available due to their 2 year deals unless one is exceptionally homesick & is determined to leave sunny, warm weather & bronzed girls with loose morals for Seaford (not that there's anything wrong with Seaford!) A trade for an established, quality senior player is the only way any of those kids will be prised away. If you were going after one, it would be Tom Lynch for mine.

I don't think he'll go for a player who is in the latter part of their career or post it (ala Fev).

I think Ross has seen the writing on the wall & wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes a pre-emptive strike and trades a few players that people will be upset about in order to fast track the next generation.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

what about dangerfield ? yet to sign with the crows

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would look at Shannon Byrne from the Cats he isn't a bad player and can't get a game under Scott? Goal kicker come mid which would be handy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How many A or even B grade players have changed clubs recently?
Our first round pick this year will be between 12 - 20, and we would probably have to give this up if we are to get a decent player.
Our list pretty much consists of two types of players:
A) players too good to trade
&
B) players with no trade value

Let's not swap our first pick with Essendon for someone who they recommend highly! (unless it's hurley)

I just can't see us getting a decent deal done, 90% of players that move clubs are pretty average, Barry Hall has kicked heaps of goals but simultaneously the Bulldogs went from the highest scoring side to one of the lowest scoring sides.

If we had more players in the backline who were confident by foot, players like NDS & Goddard would not have to spend so much time down there. Hate to say it but I agree with pluggs, I think more midfield stocks would be the most beneficial, If we had say Hayes, NDS, Goddard, Montagna, Steven, Armitage & Smith all rotating and resting forward. Geelong have done very well with Mooney and Hawkins as their key forwards… it was the silky fast delivery that made them so potent, not the awesome power-forwards.

Walsh, Kosi, Sippos might do alright with decent delivery, plus that other guy #12…

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I would look at Shannon Byrne from the Cats he isn't a bad player and can't get a game under Scott? Goal kicker come mid which would be handy.
Pretty sure he's been injured all year... Just really another Schneider.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I wish the club would get a move on and develop Walshy as a forward. He could easily be the answer.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought Byrne was playing vfl all year? I like Morton from the Tiges as well. Both are capable as mids as well as forwards something I think is more vital than a key forward. I still think some quick thinking as well as fast moving, goal kicking mids would be a real bonus.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Is a goal kicking mid really what Roo needs to help him out?

Is a goal kicking mid really what Ross is really talking about?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Is a goal kicking mid really what Roo needs to help him out?

No but it isnt unusual for a thread to get off track. Anyway the names on here will either be impossble to get or they just arent good enough.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No but it isnt unusual for a thread to get off track. Anyway the names on here will either be impossble to get or they just arent good enough.
Hey P66 just curious do you rate charlie dixon? I know there is probably no chance of him leaving the GCS but just curious on your thoughts about his future.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hey P66 just curious do you rate charlie dixon? I know there is probably no chance of him leaving the GCS but just curious on your thoughts about his future.
Only seen him play twice. Looks ok. He is a big kid but he would be signed for a minimum 2 years and maybe even longer. Isnt he Queenslander?

Saint4Eva
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Only seen him play twice. Looks ok. He is a big kid but he would be signed for a minimum 2 years and maybe even longer. Isnt he Queenslander?
yes he is... from Redland

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Saint4Eva wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

yes he is... from Redland
acutally he's from Cairns. He played for the Cairns Saints.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon we'd do worse than getting Fevola.

The ultimate 'assistant' to Nick in the forwardline would be Jack wouldn't it? Lets try to move heaven and earth for him... won't happen though but we should make a play!

Other than that, Mitch Clark is the only other player I'd consider. Everyone else is just second rate no better than our current players in the wings.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I reckon we'd do worse than getting Fevola.

The ultimate 'assistant' to Nick in the forwardline would be Jack wouldn't it? Lets try to move heaven and earth for him... won't happen though but we should make a play!

Other than that, Mitch Clark is the only other player I'd consider. Everyone else is just second rate no better than our current players in the wings.
I saw the Scorps and Sandy game and Fev was a disgrace. He idnt try to use any forward pressure at all which is vital in AFL footy these days. Lets face it unless we trade a star we have no hope of getting a very good forward as we wouldnt have room in the salary cap.

saint58
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:We should be making a huge play for Charlie Dixon from the Gold Coast Suns.

He is going to be a ripper of a forward.
Yes a great mark as well but ross wonts a mature age forward we dont have a youth policy anymore.

There has to be someone out there some where ????

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint58 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:We should be making a huge play for Charlie Dixon from the Gold Coast Suns.

He is going to be a ripper of a forward.
Yes a great mark as well but ross wonts a mature age forward we dont have a youth policy anymore.

There has to be someone out there some where ????
Can you please supply me with a link?

I must've missed that quote!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

They need to target a Robin, and tell him he can be a Batman.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:They need to target a Robin, and tell him he can be a Batman.
We'll probably end up with The Joker :(

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Jack riewoldt or buddy franklin.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Just out of left field, we give up someone and grab Johnny Patton who is rated number one draft pick for the coming draft. Big Riewoldt like KPP who is from a big Saints family. He will be something special in a few years. Do we give up a gun and a middler to GWS and nab him?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Just out of left field, we give up someone and grab Johnny Patton who is rated number one draft pick for the coming draft. Big Riewoldt like KPP who is from a big Saints family. He will be something special in a few years. Do we give up a gun and a middler to GWS and nab him?
Let GWS have him for those couple of development years and nab him on the way back.

You know, when he's sick of Falafels and demands to come home - "And I will only play for St Kilda!" :wink: