Buying a forward for 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

It's been said that we might look at buying a Forward to help Roo out.
But lets be honest So far we havnt been to flash with picking them i.e Watts, Gardiner, Gamble, Lynch (now a back) Heyne and Stanley nowhere.

But I want to know what forwards are out of contract at the end of this year an might be looking for a new home?

The two names I can think of are Walker and Fev. both come with negatives and positives.
anyothers?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Buying a forward for 2012

saintjake wrote:It's been said that we might look at buying a Forward to help Roo out.
But lets be honest So far we havnt been to flash with picking them i.e Watts, Gardiner, Gamble, Lynch (now a back) Heyne and Stanley nowhere.

But I want to know what forwards are out of contract at the end of this year an might be looking for a new home?

The two names I can think of are Walker and Fev. both come with negatives and positives.
anyothers?
walker is already signed and sealed with GWS.
tomahawk is available but i dont think we want him.

jmac101
Club Player

I agree..slim pickings. Most of the quality forwards are playing for teams on the up and would be reluctant to leave.

Best bet might be a forward on the outer at their club looking for a change in scenery. Perhaps Tom Hawkins? Or Jesse White?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:
Perhaps Tom Hawkins?
Sorry TK is a poor man's Kosi...and like Kosi is too one dimensional for how football is played today.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jmac101
Club Player

Hmm..any jpod types kicking bags in the vfl/sanfl/wafl?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We should be making a huge play for Charlie Dixon from the Gold Coast Suns.

He is going to be a ripper of a forward.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:We should be making a huge play for Charlie Dixon from the Gold Coast Suns.
why would gold coast let go of him, then?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:We should be making a huge play for Charlie Dixon from the Gold Coast Suns.
why would gold coast let go of him, then?
Not sure they would that's why it would have to be a 'huge play'. But Charlie would be the perfect solution to our current problem. He is somebody you could build a forward line around especially with where the game is going now with power forwards.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

We've got to be realistic about this.

I can't imagine there's a hell of a lot in the salary cap, and if this year has proven anything, it's that playing as a key forward for the Saints is not fun at all.

It's all about finding excess. The 3rd tall forward at a club that is either gonna get pushed out by better and younger players, or is an up-and-comer who can't get a decent crack.

Quintin Lynch is one who comes to mind. With Darling and Kennedy around, is Lynch gonna get much game time deep forward (if that is where he wants to play)??

Essendon has the same issue with their ruckman. A few Bombers supporters I've spoken to think that Ryder will be the one to go, given he has the most value on the trade table. Could he play at CHF, with Roo in the goal square??

Jesse White was mentioned - I doubt the Swans will let him go, expecially with Bradshaw going down.

Anyone else in this boat??

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

St Chris wrote:We've got to be realistic about this.

Jesse White was mentioned - I doubt the Swans will let him go, expecially with Bradshaw going down.
The same Jesse White who can't get a game for the Bradshaw-less Swans?

Not sure he's the answer ...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I wish Stanley would pull a finger out and show something.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:I wish Stanley would pull a finger out and show something.
of the talls we've recruited in recent years he is the one who most excites me, its just instinctual but i always think to myself that if he can flip some kind of switch inside he'll be very potent.

thought the same about lynch in the freo game earlier this season, im hoping we can fill this gap "in-house".

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
SainterSoul
Club Player

Should have made a play for Cloke when he was out of contact. Not that he'd probably leave Collingwood, but imagine a foward line of Cloke and Riewoldt.

Cloke has even improved his kicking this year.

With that all said, is it even possible to "buy" players these days. The salary cap is the killer.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterSoul wrote:Should have made a play for Cloke when he was out of contact. Not that he'd probably leave Collingwood, but imagine a foward line of Cloke and Riewoldt.

Cloke has even improved his kicking this year.

With that all said, is it even possible to "buy" players these days. The salary cap is the killer.
mmm. I wonder if Cloke is a downhill skier. Look at all of the downhill skiers we've go that looked fantastic over the past 2 years when the team thing was working.

SainterSoul
Club Player

I don't think so, he is leading the contested marks for the league, so he is obviously very good one on one. Didn't he also win a B & F for them as a kid?

It's a mute point anyway, because we can't get him now.

Red
Club Player

Buy a top shelf midfielder and use BJ as the extra forward.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

More Geelong rejects would be awesome,
Mooney? or we could try and turn Blake into a key forward?
What's Kent Kingsley up to these days?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

There is a young guy playing on the forward line for the Brisbane Lions - Bryce Retzlaff - he is 195cm and has played 6 games. Looks a likely long term prospect. :)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Maybe they could look at Jack Darling or Sam Day, don't know how they would the deal done though..........

Stand your ground :shock:
Aints2010

Siposs showed something, he needs to be given another chance as does Stanley, all opposition teams would rather Goddard in backline rather than forward wouldn't they???

Gwilt is strong, fast & a penetrating kick, I would at least try him up forward for a game, we have plenty of backs that could cover him

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

MCG-Unit wrote:Maybe they could look at Jack Darling or Sam Day, don't know how they would the deal done though..........
Sam Day is a poor mans Jack Watts but will take about another 3 years longer then Watts to have any impact on a game...

Mitch Clark could be a viable option or Patty Ryder. Can pinch hit in the ruck when Macca needs a rest. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone :wink:

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

St DAC wrote:
St Chris wrote:We've got to be realistic about this.

The same Jesse White who can't get a game for the Bradshaw-less Swans?

Not sure he's the answer ...
He's only 23 or 24, and Goodes is getting nearer to the end too. I dont think all is lost for White at the Swans.

I didn't really mean they wouldn't let him go at all, just they have a bit of bargaining power, and will push a tough deal.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

stkildathunda wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Maybe they could look at Jack Darling or Sam Day, don't know how they would the deal done though..........
Sam Day is a poor mans Jack Watts but will take about another 3 years longer then Watts to have any impact on a game...

Mitch Clark could be a viable option or Patty Ryder. Can pinch hit in the ruck when Macca needs a rest. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone :wink:
Well there you go, what I've seen of Day, only played a few games, I thought he would be ahead of Watts at the same time - more of an athlete for what it's worth... Major upside.
They have a lot of good young talls - Smith, Dixon, Gorringe, Day, Lynch and Nicholls. :shock:

Mitch Clark would be a great option - reckon he would be on the radar of GWS & the 2 WA sides if uncontracted.

Doubt Ess would let Ryder go other than a massive deal. Hille would be the one I would go for - he is not just a ruckman :wink: (Bellchambers has re-newed his contract)
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 21 Jun 2011 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I wish Stanley would pull a finger out and show something.
Horrible visual if taken literally.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

MCG-Unit wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

Well there you go, what I've seen of Day, only played a few games, I thought he would be ahead of Watts at the same time - more of an athlete for what it's worth... Major upside.
They have a lot of good young talls - Smith, Dixon, Gorringe, Day, Lynch and Nicholls. :shock:

Doubt Ess would let Ryder go other than a massive deal. Hille would be the one I would go for - he is not just a ruckman :wink: (Bellchambers has re-newed his contract)

They have said all along that he is a project player, so no disrespect to the bloke but yea if we had the time to develop him he would be worth getting...

Pretty sure Dixon is on a long term contract and worth a few $$$$ already. They signed all their young guns on long contracts pretty early.

I guess it comes down to if they go for another young forward or a established one. Depends if they think we are still a chance of a premiership in next 2 or so years...