Frankston

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

Frankston

Sorry need some info,

Is Frankston a rough place to stay with kids.

Some friends are going to be staying in the abbey appartments and have heard some bad rumours??

Any info would be great.

Would be like any where wouldn't it. Be sensible

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yes and no. There is good and bad at Frankston. It has potential to be a really nice place,and can be with the water close by. There are a hell a lot of ferals/drug ****** that hang around the train station/Bayside shopping centre area. Get rid of them,and the place is highly underated(I might be biased as I have a boat and go fishing there every week)

Bring back the Lockett era
spert
Saintsational Legend

I have a few friends with young families living in Frankston, and none of them have had problems to my knowledge. Like any urban area, you use common sense and don't hang around later at night in the streets with your kids- eg around Maccas etc. I know of many incidents where families have been exposed to violent and ugly scenes in highy-regarded, comfortable suburbs around Melbourne.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Frankston

DWOODROW wrote:Sorry need some info,

Some friends are going to be staying in the abbey appartments and have heard some bad rumours??

Any info would be great.

Not at all. Been a resident for over 30 years and love the lpace. For sure there are a few weirdos who hang round the railway station ( Sam Newman's fav huant ) and I wouldnt be wandering around the Pub corner at 3am giving lip (but you wouldnt anywhere ). Lots of things to do and see for people of all ages. Just start at the foreshore and enjoy. I LOVE Frankston.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Make sure they dont stay longer than 2 weeks!

Another opportunity awaits!
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

I lived in Frankston for 20 years before moving further down the Peninsula and Frankston cops alot of unfair flack. Its like everywhere you have your undesirables. Around the nightclubs on a thurs/fr/sat night can get interesting but thats a major factor everywhere in Victoria. Just use commen sense as you would if you go on holidays to any place in Australia that you dont know.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Moccha wrote:Make sure they dont stay longer than 2 weeks!
Cos you'll fall in love with the place

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Its not good. Lots of unwanted youth. Just avoid the train station and the train line.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Its not good. Lots of unwanted youth. Just avoid the train station and the train line.
Not just youth but alot of adults with nothing better to do then drinks and do drugs. Always entertaining when i work at night.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Frankston is much maligned in the media, but from a personal point of view I have always felt safe there.

Can't say the same for Dandenong...... scary m...f...ing place. :shock:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Any info would be great.

By the way...... what was second prize?....... a month in Frankston?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
DWOODROW
Club Player

Thankyou for that.

Will pass it on

sainta
Club Player

I work behind those apartments Monday - Friday. They are on Nepean Hwy which can be busy during the peak hours but it is a generally quiet area as they are turning that strip from residential to commercial.

The apartments were very fancy back in the 80s and 90s and I think were recently renovated when they changed from a hotel to an apartment complex.

I've lived in Seaford since I was 3 and Frankston is fine, as people have said previously. I've only felt uncomfortable in Dandenong and St Albans.

The shopping centre is almost finished having a major upgrade and has major retails Myer, Target, K-mart, Woolworths, Coles and Aldi. Late night shopping Thursday and Friday until 9pm.

Avoid Nepean Hwy from Davey St to Wells St from about 10pm at night onwards as that is the "night club" district and like the city and elsewhere, when young people drink these days they tend to be a lot more stupid.

Young St (usually where Street Talk is filmed) is a bad area as the junkies like to hang around the station, bus and taxi bays and may ask for $1 or a smoke. You can walk there during the day to get from A to B but perhaps not at night with kids, definitely not late at night.

Frankston Foreshore has won National award's and is a pleasant area to go on a nice weekend. A lot of work is being done to upgrade the whole area along Kananook River now. But do not eat at Sofia's - their kitchen and cleaning standard's could be on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

Hope that helps!

SainterSoul
Club Player

Frankston South (close to Mt Eliza) is fine, Frankston North is rough, but I doubt anyone would bother going out that way unless they lived there or need to visit someone there.

Stay away from Frankston Centre at night, no reason to be there really, apart from clubbing/pubs.

Frankston can be a bit dodgy, but as long as they take the advice in this thread, they should be ok.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

We live in Seaford with a young family and I am often with the kids at Frankston shopping and have never had an issue ( during daylight hours)

All I can say is avoid the station after dark and around Davey St / if going to the footy they might be better getting off the train at Carrum or Seaford and catching a cab to the Abbey.

We lived in Sandringham prior to Seaford and saw as many dodgy characters - as long as they use common sense they shouldn't have an issue.

Mrs Seaford_Saint

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
saintjake
Club Player

I live in Frankston, and its the few rats that bring the name down.
I mean, any place near the beach is nice. Just dont go walking buy yourself anywhere near the train station at night.
Other then that, its pretty alright

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW , youre from townsville so there's only two differences , 1; the dark skinned people are of indian descent , not aboriginal and
2; this time of year its ken cold

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I reckon a good way to judge a place is visit the local McDonalds store at a busy time and see if you can sit down and relax and enjoy a meal/burger.
If it's a pleasant experience and you didn't have to keep an eye on the people, if everyone was considerate and there was no swearing and the toilets were not a mess - it's probably a good area.

You don't need to visit railway stations or pubs - which may not be as representative of a suburb.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:We live in Seaford with a young family and I am often with the kids at Frankston shopping and have never had an issue ( during daylight hours)

All I can say is avoid the station after dark and around Davey St / if going to the footy they might be better getting off the train at Carrum or Seaford and catching a cab to the Abbey.

We lived in Sandringham prior to Seaford and saw as many dodgy characters - as long as they use common sense they shouldn't have an issue.

Mrs Seaford_Saint
Highett Road flats?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:

Any info would be great.

Not at all. Been a resident for over 30 years and love the lpace. For sure there are a few weirdos who hang round the railway station ( Sam Newman's fav huant ) and I wouldnt be wandering around the Pub corner at 3am giving lip (but you wouldnt anywhere ). Lots of things to do and see for people of all ages. Just start at the foreshore and enjoy. I LOVE Frankston.
Definite similarities between Frankston and my new home of Geelong by the sound of it :wink:

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Seaford_Saint wrote:We live in Seaford with a young family and I am often with the kids at Frankston shopping and have never had an issue ( during daylight hours)

Mrs Seaford_Saint
Highett Road flats?
Now they are dodgy!!!

No we lived a block back from the Sandy pub ( same era as Bakes/Lenny when they lvived together) shame we couldn't raise the kids their - 8 squares just didn't cut it!!

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......