Who were the Saints "party boys" in the 70s?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I was going to mention "Pleasant Sunday Mornings". I think most of these things would make todays problems seem pretty small. Not the media scrutiny and internet back then.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:The real partying went on later at night in an old change room under the main grandstand.

Like Hernando’s Hideaway it was not that easy to gain admittance. But it was well worth it on the occasions I managed to talk my way in. Plenty of booze was consumed away from the prying eyes of the Saints Disco patrons.

I took a Bombers supporting mate there one Saturday night and hours later found him locked inside a sauna. Wow Jones had been the culprit. My mate didn’t find it particularly funny but I still have a laugh when I think about it.

And of course there were the Pleasant Sunday Mornings and the Strip Nights, all in the name of raising money for the end of year trip of course.

But don’t get me started on them. Particularly the latter, as it only rekindles memories of Alan Sidebottom that I would rather forget :shock:
Them's were the days, I remember a young bloke selling me a raffle ticket while a 2 up game was going on....he was later known as Plugger.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Jee i wish i could of witnessed the saints disco!

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Went to a pleasant Sunday morning after the last game in 2000 when Hally kicked the winning goal after the siren. It was at the joint in Keys rd. The owner was a Saints man who later murdered his wife, I believe and then killed himself. Name escapes me for the moment. Anyway they had some mice racing and I remember Barry Hall's mouse coming last so he picked it up and bit its head off. Wasnt a great look. The mouse was later scratched for the rest of the racing. There was some great girl action later on though. Even 11 years later they couldnt do anything like that. The stripping i mean not the biting of mices heads.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote:I was a bouncer at the st.kilda disco years ago. I saw Plugger drop Molley, and Jackson light a peice of twisted paper and put in 1 players shorts, and light it. Alot of other stuff happenned that should never be said.
oh it should be said! paul molly meldrum or actually molly meldrum?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas was a pretty "fast mover" back in the day. Some might say that he was just that little bit too quick for Caro to catch :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Tess
Opposition Fan

What was Pluggers first car?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Tess wrote:What was Pluggers first car?
I remember reading a Plugger Lockett profile in a footy record from around 1984. He said he drove a Commadore. So I assume that was his first car, considering he would have been about 18 years old at that stage.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I recall Rod Owen being found at the bottom of the stairs with his nose squashed all over his face. He said he "tripped". Poor Rod, I really felt for him. By that stage he had acquired a habit of "tripping" over regularly. Still one of the greatest wasted talents to have played the game.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The current CEO used to go alright as well. The usual suspects were Barker, Roberts, Thomas, Butterss and Kellett, just to name a few.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
savatage
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Went to a pleasant Sunday morning after the last game in 2000 when Hally kicked the winning goal after the siren. It was at the joint in Keys rd. The owner was a Saints man who later murdered his wife, I believe and then killed himself. Name escapes me for the moment. Anyway they had some mice racing and I remember Barry Hall's mouse coming last so he picked it up and bit its head off. Wasnt a great look. The mouse was later scratched for the rest of the racing. There was some great girl action later on though. Even 11 years later they couldnt do anything like that. The stripping i mean not the biting of mices heads.
Transformers??

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I recall Rod Owen being found at the bottom of the stairs with his nose squashed all over his face. He said he "tripped". Poor Rod, I really felt for him. By that stage he had acquired a habit of "tripping" over regularly. Still one of the greatest wasted talents to have played the game.
Poor old Rocket Owen.

Liked his booze a little too much.

I dedicate this song to him

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Winmar
Club Player

I really wish I was a bit older. I was only 13 when we finished up at Moorabbin, so never had the pleasure of a Saints disco.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:I really wish I was a bit older. I was only 13 when we finished up at Moorabbin, so never had the pleasure of a Saints disco.
But you'll probably live longer than those of us who were there :wink:

Winmar
Club Player

Haha good point!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic told me it was the worst 2 years of his career...and the best party of his life! Reckoned Trevor Barker was top of the list whilst he was there, never without a girl under each arm. Shame that Milan didn't really recall the whole Saints experience overall as a positive...maybe it was the fact that many supporters shared that view about him? :(

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Milan Faletic told me it was the worst 2 years of his career...and the best party of his life! Reckoned Trevor Barker was top of the list whilst he was there, never without a girl under each arm. Shame that Milan didn't really recall the whole Saints experience overall as a positive...maybe it was the fact that many supporters shared that view about him? :(
Milan the player or Milan the mod? :wink:
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Sat 18 Jun 2011 1:03am, edited 1 time in total.

Winmar
Club Player

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:Did he play for anyone else?

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... letic.html
Milan the player or Milan the mod? :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
degruch wrote:Milan Faletic told me it was the worst 2 years of his career...and the best party of his life! Reckoned Trevor Barker was top of the list whilst he was there, never without a girl under each arm. Shame that Milan didn't really recall the whole Saints experience overall as a positive...maybe it was the fact that many supporters shared that view about him? :(
Milan the player or Milan the admin? :wink:
The real dude...used to run a cleaning business that was contracted by my employer. Very down on his Saints days, but dug the disco!

He didn't play for anyone else in the VFL, was a champion (runner up for the Magery Medal one year) for West Torrens over here, but the talent didn't translate to the big time...not an orphan there (Barry Robran, Russell Ebert, Rick Davies, Brodie Atkinson, etc, etc).

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
The real dude...used to run a cleaning business that was contracted by my employer. Very down on his Saints days, but dug the disco!

He didn't play for anyone else in the VFL, was a champion (runner up for the Magery Medal one year) for West Torrens over here, but the talent didn't translate to the big time...not an orphan there (Barry Robran, Russell Ebert, Rick Davies, Brodie Atkinson, etc, etc).
Remember Milan during his time at the Saints.

He was certainly right about Barks. He was like royalty when he made his way into the social club. And a really nice guy to boot. Always happy to say hello to nobodies such as the young Spacey :)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Remember Milan during his time at the Saints.

He was certainly right about Barks. He was like royalty when he made his way into the social club. And a really nice guy to boot. Always happy to say hello to nobodies such as the young Spacey :)
Nwaugh. Obviously, I was a little to young to pedal my dragster to St Kilda at the time.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

scott hodges

lmao

mcadam05
Club Player

Winmar wrote:I really wish I was a bit older. I was only 13 when we finished up at Moorabbin, so never had the pleasure of a Saints disco.
I first went when i was 12 but couldnt get a beer till i was 16 :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was too young for the disco days also. Talking of first cars I remember in 97 Big Bad Barry the Broady bogan had a hot HR holden with huge tubs on the back and a bonnet scoop that made the mad max interceptor look girly, he used to park it in the parking lot at moorabin training.