Goddard linked to GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tiprat44
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
stinger wrote:bj is probably still the best player in the afl and clowns talk about trading him for unknown talent...ffs...glad you guys aren't running the club.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

what a wank of a thread... :twisted:
You wouldn't trade BJ for about five potentially great players?
no...of course not....it would f*** the very fabric of the club....

anyway...that's what pple were saying about the plugger trade...in the end we got sfa....
And we nearly won a premiership....
yep...nearly....and it would have been a certainty if plugger was still with us....anyway our compensation pick....or the only one that was any good....joel smith....... didn't play
But if BJ says he's going to go next year anyway we might aswell get the most we can for him this year.
But he isnt going to tell us now. He has a year to think about it.
IMO he will have made up his mind before then, like garry ablett

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Tiprat44 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
stinger wrote:bj is probably still the best player in the afl and clowns talk about trading him for unknown talent...ffs...glad you guys aren't running the club.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

anyway...that's what pple were saying about the plugger trade...in the end we got sfa....
yep...nearly....and it would have been a certainty if plugger was still with us....anyway our compensation pick....or the only one that was any good....joel smith....... didn't play
But if BJ says he's going to go next year anyway we might aswell get the most we can for him this year.
Ablett hadnt made up his mind a year and a half before he was going. Maybe 10 months and that is to late for the next trade period.

Tiprat44
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

Ablett hadnt made up his mind a year and a half before he was going. Maybe 10 months and that is to late for the next trade period.
I meant i think he will make up his mind by the end of the year, it all depends on how our future is looking by that point imo.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He isn't going anywhere, but he'd be silly not to try and talk up his next contract with St Kilda. :wink:
Last edited by SainterK on Mon 13 Jun 2011 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We'll all know exactly what's going on with GWS in 17 months time. In the meantime there will be plenty of speculating/guessing/know it alling !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:We'll all know exactly what's going on with GWS in 17 months time. In the meantime there will be plenty of speculating/guessing/know it alling !!
We could end it all now and just let them take Rhys Stanley as our uncontracted player, then they cant take anyone else next year without trading for them :wink:

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Gary Lyon's article in The Age was thought provoking, and should not be dismissed if the Club (specifically Lyon) does not believe we can challenge for the flag in 2012.

In my view we can challenge in 2012 and therefore Goddard must be kept.

However, we have a shrewd coach and I'm sure he is smart enough to assess if we can challenge next year. If he thinks we cannot, then an idea similar to Gary Lyon's should be carefully considered.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:Gary Lyon's article in The Age was thought provoking, and should not be dismissed if the Club (specifically Lyon) does not believe we can challenge for the flag in 2012.

In my view we can challenge in 2012 and therefore Goddard must be kept.

However, we have a shrewd coach and I'm sure he is smart enough to assess if we can challenge next year. If he thinks we cannot, then an idea similar to Gary Lyon's should be carefully considered.
but what would the Demons think of 'giving away' 3 of their main players as G lyon has suggested.... for fresh new faces that would then set the team back another year. and the future of the teams leadership-- I'd hope some loyalty would be shown...

but I'm oldfashioned ..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
but I'm old
Oh really :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

battye
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe this. People are really suggesting trading Riewoldt to GWS? No matter what justifications anyone can provide, it's short sightedness and nothing more. We are playing badly, Riewoldt himself hasn't been in blistering form this season - people have short memories.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Tiprat44
Club Player

battye wrote:I can't believe this. People are really suggesting trading Riewoldt to GWS? No matter what justifications anyone can provide, it's short sightedness and nothing more. We are playing badly, Riewoldt himself hasn't been in blistering form this season - people have short memories.
Also Aside from the fact the club would never trade him GWS probably aren't interested anyway, as he's approaching 30.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I couldn't give a rats about the Demons, only my beloved Saints. As I said if Ross Lyon believes that we can have a crack at the flag next year (I think we can, but he'd know better) then Goddard must be kept.

However if we cannot challenge for the flag next year, we are faced with waiting 8 to 10 years for another crack. Unless we do something bold, clever and innovative, which may give us another crack in 3 or 4 years (or sooner). If we had to wait 8 to 10 years, Goddard would not be there for it, so why would you not consider taking control of the situation as per the Gary Lyon theory?

Please don't misundersatnd I hope BJ stays and one day Captains the club, but what I hope for the most is a Premiership.[/quote]

stinger
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

Wouldn't have got anywhere near it IMO, Plugger leaving as devastating as it was, helped build us immensely.

Joel contributed greatly before he went down, one of the major reasons we lost

helped us how.????.

.plugger...or joel......let me see....hard decision.....a half forward flanker...or the greatest full-forward ever.....

.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:I can't believe this. People are really suggesting trading Riewoldt to GWS? No matter what justifications anyone can provide, it's short sightedness and nothing more. We are playing badly, Riewoldt himself hasn't been in blistering form this season - people have short memories.
i can't really believe what i'm reading either....just a big wank by folish pple imhfo....goddard makes a fw comments...which are then taken out of context..ffs.....bj isn't going anywhere.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

no-one ever heard that old saying???...a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...well bj is worth a dozen untried draft picks ffs....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

Wouldn't have got anywhere near it IMO, Plugger leaving as devastating as it was, helped build us immensely.

Joel contributed greatly before he went down, one of the major reasons we lost

helped us how.????.

.plugger...or joel......let me see....hard decision.....a half forward flanker...or the greatest full-forward ever.....

.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
So how many GF's did we play with Plugger, what about prelims?

Oh look I have that button as well :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't know why I respond to the little kids on here

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i don't know why i'm trying to knock some sense into a drongo either... :roll: :roll: :roll: ...brings one down to their level of intelligence......losing plugger cost us a flag in my opinion...we got nothing for him...and i don't want to see the same mistakes repeated by trading out and out stars like bj or roo......despite what some numb nuts on here are saying..that is sheer stupidity......that clear enough for you.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Hmmm.... slightly worrying but I'm not overly concerned.

If we win the flag next year, I really wouldn't care who leaves the club to pursue better options. If we don't win the flag next year I couldn't see our current group being capable of getting the job done, so either way I wouldn't view it as the worst thing in the world. I'm just glad he is contracted for next year so we can get one last tilt.
Two 1st round draft picks would soften the blow
True!

I'd still be gutted if he left.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
SinCitySaint
Club Player

The simple fact is if we can keep BJ then we must do whatever we can to make it happen. However, if he has already decided to chase the money, and I would not blame him if he did, then we need to maximise what we get for him. That means we should be discussing his next contract now and trying to make him put his cards on the table.

No potential player is better than a proven player, it is simple logic.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

By the time Goddard comes out of contract at the end of 2012, Roo will have moved onto the veterans list, wont he, freeing up salary cap space to give Goddard a pay rise?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours; If they don 't they never were. 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... ot-giants/

as someone already stated this article was written two days before the hun's crap article...same quotes different outcome ...

"Goddard wants to lead Saints, not Giants

By Tim Clarke
11 June 2011 01:51PM EST

ST Kilda superstar Brendon Goddard has shirt-fronted a theory that he could become the GWS’s biggest signing and new captain – instead admitting he wants to take over the St Kilda captaincy from Nick Riewoldt.

With the Giants’ recruiting drive stepping up, Garry Lyon raised Goddard’s name as a potential target for Kevin Sheedy’s team, with St Kilda gaining a slew of top draft picks in the process.

But following the Saints’ season-saving win against the Bulldogs on Friday night, Goddard said he was “as loyal as they comeâ€

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Tiprat44 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:Can someone please clarify?

Is Goddard contracted to the end of 2012?

If he is how would GWS get him next year? And if they could, what compensation would we receive?
Goddard is contracted until end of 2012. GWS can get 1 uncontracted player from each club over a two year period (2011 & 2012)

Basically anyone thinking we will get what Geelong did for Ablett are kidding themselves. We will get same compensation as Adelaide did for Nathan Bock which was a pick at end of first round...

It basically comes down to what they have acheived intheir career.

Gary Ablett was a 2 time premiership player, brownlow medalist, 4 time all australian, 2 B&F's.

Goddard is a 2 time AA, and 2nd in B&F.

Bock was a AA, B&F winner

So would expect a late first round pick as compensation if he was to go to GWS next season.
If that is what we get it's a bloody disgrace!
As it will be for Melbourne, who will probably only get a late first round pick if they lose Scully, despite him being taken at no.1 just two years earlier and having developed extremely well since then.
It's a far from perfect or fair system.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:Can someone please clarify?

Is Goddard contracted to the end of 2012?

If he is how would GWS get him next year? And if they could, what compensation would we receive?
Goddard is contracted until end of 2012. GWS can get 1 uncontracted player from each club over a two year period (2011 & 2012)

Basically anyone thinking we will get what Geelong did for Ablett are kidding themselves. We will get same compensation as Adelaide did for Nathan Bock which was a pick at end of first round...

It basically comes down to what they have acheived intheir career.

Gary Ablett was a 2 time premiership player, brownlow medalist, 4 time all australian, 2 B&F's.

Goddard is a 2 time AA, and 2nd in B&F.

Bock was a AA, B&F winner

So would expect a late first round pick as compensation if he was to go to GWS next season.
If that is what we get it's a bloody disgrace!
As it will be for Melbourne, who will probably only get a late first round pick if they lose Scully, despite him being taken at no.1 just two years earlier and having developed extremely well since then.
It's a far from perfect or fair system.
Serves them right for tanking anyway. Karma caught upto them in the end :lol: :lol:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It always does!

noreason41
Club Player

“I think I would be (offended) initially (if a trade was offered) – I am as loyal as any person.