Goddard linked to GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Tiprat44 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:Can someone please clarify?

Is Goddard contracted to the end of 2012?

If he is how would GWS get him next year? And if they could, what compensation would we receive?
Goddard is contracted until end of 2012. GWS can get 1 uncontracted player from each club over a two year period (2011 & 2012)

Basically anyone thinking we will get what Geelong did for Ablett are kidding themselves. We will get same compensation as Adelaide did for Nathan Bock which was a pick at end of first round...

It basically comes down to what they have acheived intheir career.

Gary Ablett was a 2 time premiership player, brownlow medalist, 4 time all australian, 2 B&F's.

Goddard is a 2 time AA, and 2nd in B&F.

Bock was a AA, B&F winner

So would expect a late first round pick as compensation if he was to go to GWS next season.
If that is what we get it's a bloody disgrace!

Yep why do you think Adelaide & Geelong were so pissed off last year. Might be couple more factors but going by last years compensation and looking at the careers of BJ to those it would be close to it...

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the concept is to make GWS instantly competitive, not protecting old clubs.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:plugger66, re: Richmond. Last time I looked, they had had declining memberships for several years and had fallen below us and even the Ds. They haven't tasted much success for many years and strike me as a club without a specific sort of image to attract sponsors other than as a once great club with an intensely loyal, but ageing, fan base living on dreams of faded glory.

If they can't get it together on the field in the next five years or so, I reckon they're going to start to struggle. I wouldn't be surprise if they were pushed into merging with the Bulldogs: Melbourne's own Wests Tigers.
45k members this year suggests you are wrong. We couldnt crack 40k making the last 2 GF's. They havent played finals for years and coming off second last last year and get 45k.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:Can someone please clarify?

Is Goddard contracted to the end of 2012?

If he is how would GWS get him next year? And if they could, what compensation would we receive?
Goddard is contracted until end of 2012. GWS can get 1 uncontracted player from each club over a two year period (2011 & 2012)

Basically anyone thinking we will get what Geelong did for Ablett are kidding themselves. We will get same compensation as Adelaide did for Nathan Bock which was a pick at end of first round...

It basically comes down to what they have acheived intheir career.

Gary Ablett was a 2 time premiership player, brownlow medalist, 4 time all australian, 2 B&F's.

Goddard is a 2 time AA, and 2nd in B&F.

Bock was a AA, B&F winner

So would expect a late first round pick as compensation if he was to go to GWS next season.
Except Goddard was rated close to the best player in the competition at the end of last year (by many experts) and even with his slow start to this season is still very highly rated - Bock on the other hand

We would get more than one "end of the 1st round draft pick"

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

IF is a very small word with a very BIG meaning;

IF BJ wants to go to GWS we would be better off dealing with them this year whilst he is still in contract. That way we miught be able to extract a very high 1st rounder AND one or two of their 17yo priority picks. If we wait until next year when he is uncontracted, we will get ONE 1st rounder. Other options could involve a 3rd club

Remember, the word IF is in there !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Tiprat44
Club Player

Eastern wrote:IF is a very small word with a very BIG meaning;

IF BJ wants to go to GWS we would be better off dealing with them this year whilst he is still in contract. That way we miught be able to extract a very high 1st rounder AND one or two of their 17yo priority picks. If we wait until next year when he is uncontracted, we will get ONE 1st rounder. Other options could involve a 3rd club

Do you think if traded this year we would get a top 5 pick?

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The problem is how would you know he wants to go. He may be very happy to stay next year and see what happens because lets face it if we miss the finals in the next 2 years we arent going to play in the finals for probably another 4 or 5 years.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Tiprat44 wrote:

This year, BJ would be worth picks around 5 & 15 AND one of their 17 yo's or Pick 15 and TWO of their 17yo's IMHO !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Well if he goes he goes.

We got him be default anyway.

if we could get what Gary Lyon was on about, it would be win win.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

This year, BJ would be worth picks around 5 & 15 AND one of their 17 yo's or Pick 15 and TWO of their 17yo's IMHO !!
Noice.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Tiprat44
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

I would take that if he told St Kilda he was going to leave.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

What percentage of top 5 players turn out to be greats?

There are a lot of misses, some turn out to be adequate players.

Goddard IMO is one of the top 10 players in the competition.

I would also say that the probability of a top 5 draft pick being one of the top 10 players in 5 years is limited at best.

Mostly, if they are injury free they become very good players, many in the top 50, but then <shrug>

Im nervous but hoping (I know it sounds selfish) that GWS blow their budget on other players.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:What percentage of top 5 players turn out to be greats?

I would also say that the probability of a top 5 draft pick being one of the top 10 players in 5 years is limited at best.

Mostly, if they are injury free they become very good players, many in the top 50, but then <shrug>

Im nervous but hoping (I know it sounds selfish) that GWS blow their budget on other players.
We get a lot more this year because WE decide. If its next year the AFL decide !!

Tiprat44
Club Player

Eastern wrote:

We get a lot more this year because WE decide. If its next year the AFL decide !!
If GWS didn't want to give us what we were asking for wouldn't they just wait till next year though?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bj is probably still the best player in the afl and clowns talk about trading him for unknown talent...ffs...glad you guys aren't running the club.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

what a wank of a thread... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's a great point you make Dan.

If I owned Black Caviar I certainly wouldn't swap her for a couple of yearlings, regardless of how well they were bred!

Tiprat44
Club Player

stinger wrote:bj is probably still the best player in the afl and clowns talk about trading him for unknown talent...ffs...glad you guys aren't running the club.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

You wouldn't trade BJ for about five potentially great players?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
saintjake wrote:I honestly wouldnt look down on any of our boys for doing it.
WHAT?!!?! YOU WOULDN'T?!?!!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you not a supporter of the St.Kilda Football Club?
See this the problem...The NEW frontier of footy relies on your passion, but it's asking you to follow a model that isn't what you love. The NEW model is in essence a franchise system, soon to be supported by free agency, cemented by the draft and before we can say boo we'll be following the Broome Kangaroos and the Cairns Demons...

Personally I prefer hanging onto the myth that is supporting the club I inherited from previous generations, but I know I'm living in a dreamstate...
Yes, I'm well aware of the rapidly changing face of the competition and how it is developing - dare I say - an American-type model of professional sports. But franchise system or no franchise, we're virtually down for life in supporting our club. Are we going to applaud a former player for taking off and doing a "dash for cash" ? I, for one, will not. I saw likes of Harvey, Burke and Loewe stick by the club's motto "Fortius Quo Fidelius" for their entire career. If their example didn't set any sort of precident for a St.Kilda player offered big money by other clubs, then as far as I'm concerned they are nothing but foe.

I also follow baseball. The Major Leagues are made up virtually of mercenaries. One player comes to mind, Johnny Damon, who was previously loved in Boston, before heading over to arch rival New York Yankees through free agency. When he returned to Boston, as an away player, for the first time since changing clubs, the Fenway Faithful gave him one of the worst jeerings you could possibly imagine. Rightfully so, IMO.

If you turn your back on a club, don't expect its supporters to love you for it.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

There's no need to worry with the new facility located at Seaford, players won't want to leave, our biggest problem will be sorting through the masses of out of contract talent all queuing up to train at Belvedere Park.

Why would anyone want to go anywhere else?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Tiprat44 wrote:
stinger wrote:bj is probably still the best player in the afl and clowns talk about trading him for unknown talent...ffs...glad you guys aren't running the club.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

no...of course not....it would f*** the very fabric of the club....

anyway...that's what pple were saying about the plugger trade...in the end we got sfa....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

anyway...that's what pple were saying about the plugger trade...in the end we got sfa....
And we nearly won a premiership....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

yep...nearly....and it would have been a certainty if plugger was still with us....anyway our compensation pick....or the only one that was any good....joel smith....... didn't play

Tiprat44
Club Player

stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

yep...nearly....and it would have been a certainty if plugger was still with us....anyway our compensation pick....or the only one that was any good....joel smith....... didn't play
But if BJ says he's going to go next year anyway we might aswell get the most we can for him this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Tiprat44 wrote:
stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

But if BJ says he's going to go next year anyway we might aswell get the most we can for him this year.
But he isnt going to tell us now. He has a year to think about it.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:

Wouldn't have got anywhere near it IMO, Plugger leaving as devastating as it was, helped build us immensely.

Joel contributed greatly before he went down, one of the major reasons we lost