Biaised corrupt unfair lopsided disgraceful rigged draw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jays
Club Player

lol not surprised at all

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: look at the positives. Our most successful period in our history.
I think the mid sixties might have a bit on it.
Yes we won a flag then and were very good but for sustained success now has been better apart from obviously not winning a flag.
Nearly got one, but Collingwood are very strong at their home ground ... Which they seldom leave.

Let's face it, the draw is a disgrace and an insult to the fair minded.
Is that the home ground that we could have chosen? Lets just continue to whinge about the draw but I can assure you it aint changing so whinge and get yourself into a lather all you like. No one is listening. And if you think the draw cost us the GF last year what was the problem the previous year.
Our draw was fine last year...just not as laughingly biased as Collingwood's.
They did play more top 8 sides than any other top 8 side last year. Of course i will be on my own here but I would have rathered have played WCE in Perth last year than Geelong twice.

No one has ever been able to give me a side that has won a flag because of their draw. I await someone to come up with one.
Yeah, yeah whatever. Reading this thread you are well and truly in the minority on this one. Good luck with defending the "roll over and cop it" approach.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: look at the positives. Our most successful period in our history.
Yes we won a flag then and were very good but for sustained success now has been better apart from obviously not winning a flag.
Nearly got one, but Collingwood are very strong at their home ground ... Which they seldom leave.

Is that the home ground that we could have chosen? Lets just continue to whinge about the draw but I can assure you it aint changing so whinge and get yourself into a lather all you like. No one is listening. And if you think the draw cost us the GF last year what was the problem the previous year.
They did play more top 8 sides than any other top 8 side last year. Of course i will be on my own here but I would have rathered have played WCE in Perth last year than Geelong twice.

No one has ever been able to give me a side that has won a flag because of their draw. I await someone to come up with one.
Yeah, yeah whatever. Reading this thread you are well and truly in the minority on this one. Good luck with defending the "roll over and cop it" approach.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If those stats at the start include 2004, then 6 of our interstate games were home games at Aurora and many of the Roos were home games at Manuka Oval. And didn't Melbourne choose to play some home games at the Gabba. And the Dogs in Darwin.

Given all of that, the one that really surprises me is Carlton. Supposedly one of the favoured clubs, but much less so than the Bombers and the Pies it would seem.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It's completely unprovable as to whether the draw as it is advantages some over others.

But the fact of the matter is that the only way to have a fair draw is to have each side play each other once.

Given that option is unacceptable to the economics and marketing graduates that run the show, we simply have to live with a draw that may or may not be fair rather than one that can't be anything but fair.

Seems ridiculous, but then again so is GWS over Tasmania... There you go...That's the world as we know it...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What about Pies Blues Bombers playing each other twice every year?

What would Foxtel bid if the draw was fair?

I'm guessing about $200 million less, ie a loss of about 40 million per annum.

Surely a fair draw over 3 years would still command good TV $$$.

Anyway, I'd like to know mire detail about the new rights agreement re fixturing.

BallBanger
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:
desertsaint wrote:where's p66 - he'll explain it for us - a wealthy comp is far more important than a fair one - so we need to take it up the arse for the good of all!
That's exactly Dimwit's view - and very eloquently put :D
Got I wish I had your negative attitude. It must be so much fun thinking everything is corrupt or the world is against us. Like Moods said look at the positives. Our most successful period in our history. Travel is overrated for good sides and hard for poor sides. Even 2 out of 4 wins this year have been interstate but I suppose it is better to whinge, think corrupt, look over the chip on your shoulder or just get your famous stats book out then look at our great form over the last 8 years.

Travel will never be fair and neither will the draw so get used to it. Apart from getting positive responses on here when these threads start nothing will change. Next year we will probably travel 7 times. That should please many. Embrace it, go on a holiday and watch a game, it may release some of that built up stress you seem to have.

P66 has been copping it up the rrrs for yrs...he's learnt to accept and enjoy. It's not fair that his big brother is not abused because he cannot do anything period

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Good luck with the screaming and ranting approach. I would suggest that neither approach makes any difference. Makes us feel more like victims though, if we believe that the Big 4 Victorian Clubs are favoured.

I notice that WC, Sydney and Brisbane have all managed to win flags playing stacks of interstate games. Even the hawks (who choose to play in Tassie) won a flag doing it.

Bottom line is if you're good enough you will win the flag. Not sure extra travel was the reason we didn't win it in 09.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

hard to fathom the mentality that 'taking it up the arse hasn't ruptured our rectum wall, in fact, possibly it's made it stronger - so who cares' brigade.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BallBanger
Club Player

Maybe we should only receive half of what collingwood get from tv rights as like the draw we have less than half the viewers so they should not be disadvantaged. Who cares about the comp.
Why do a few of you p66 etc infer that makes no difference if we play westcoast at docklands or perth..if you're good enough bs bs
Of course its a huge advantage
Last edited by BallBanger on Mon 13 Jun 2011 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:hard to fathom the mentality that 'taking it up the arse hasn't ruptured our rectum wall, in fact, possibly it's made it stronger - so who cares' brigade.
Even harder to understand the whinging all the time on this site when not one person is even reading it who matters. All it does is boost people's egos when they have plenty agreeing with them but it must be fun being angry with the AFL all the time.

Choices are simple. Whinge and nothing happens or except it and enjoy the great game of Australian rules.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:hard to fathom the mentality that 'taking it up the arse hasn't ruptured our rectum wall, in fact, possibly it's made it stronger - so who cares' brigade.
Even harder to understand the whinging all the time on this site when not one person is even reading it who matters. All it does is boost people's egos when they have plenty agreeing with them but it must be fun being angry with the AFL all the time.

Choices are simple. Whinge and nothing happens or except it and enjoy the great game of Australian rules.
I'll gladly EXCEPT the draw as it is.

Even if whinging about it does nothing, it remains ludicrous to defend it on grounds of 'just because'.

Even a perception of unfairness is nowhere near good enough.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think that we should all concede that the FIXture will NEVER be fair and equatable, but we should not look at it from a football perspective only. We also need to look at the the commercial aspect of it too. This year we play home games against Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong & Richmond. If we are remotely competitive/successful these 5 games will give us plenty for the piggy bank in any year. Success on the field comes at a cost. We need to get the balance right !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Its a symptom of modern footy that the average fan cares far more about when and where we play than who we actually play. Its always interesting to see the reaction of each Club to the draw each year. Theres always the "footy dept" perspective (who we play" and thye Membership/marketing/corporate perspective (when and where we play)

AD is on the record as saying that the draw is done to "maximise attendances". Thats just another way of saying "make as much money as possible". While a lot of the Anti-Collingwood hysteria does actually come from clubs wanting home games agasint them (They draw bigger crowds than any other Club and thats just a fact some people have to get used to) I also think its wrong that they with Carlton and Essendon get return games each year..its just a free kick if one of the 3 are having a really bad year. Ditto for the same reason I cant see why there have to be 2 x Derbies and Showdowns each year?

My other beef is the AFL allowing Collingwood to do these deals with the MCG and Etihad to ensure they can only travel 4 times each year. Its nothing to do with "maximising attendances", its just a commercial agreement with the two grounds outside the bounds of the AFL that by definition restricts how the AFL can set Collingwood games. No other club has done that deal, for the very good reason that the AFL would say "Oh no it makes fixturing too hard"

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

i think it boosts some peoples ego when they disagree with plenty on here.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

i think it boosts some peoples ego when they disagree with plenty on here.
I agree. Who does that? But I 100% do actually not give a stuff about our draw.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Whilst I agree that for the best team the draw does not generally matter, would the draw have made a difference to us in 2009? It cannot be denied that the draw is grossly inequitable. In an even season (such as 2005 when there were 4 genuinely even contenders) it could make the difference between finishing 4 or 5 or going interstate for a final.

It is time that bean counter Demitriou, concentrated on a fair and even playing field rather than the $$$$$. The AFL has plenty!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

The main prob I have with the draw is the practice of teams playing each other a second time when they have yet to play some of the other teams.

Play each team once first, then fiddle with it. It remains ludicrous that we play the Cats a second time this week, while we are yet to play North, Port, Sydney or the Suns

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:What about Pies Blues Bombers playing each other twice every year?

What would Foxtel bid if the draw was fair?

I'm guessing about $200 million less, ie a loss of about 40 million per annum.

Surely a fair draw over 3 years would still command good TV $$$.

Anyway, I'd like to know mire detail about the new rights agreement re fixturing.
Bump.

Does anyone have any idea re the detail of the foxtel deal?

Can the AFL schedule a fair draw over, say, 3 years under the agreement for 2012 - 2016?

Come on Caro, Huthcy and the rest of the journos reading this, do some proper research please!!!
Last edited by saintspremiers on Tue 14 Jun 2011 12:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I haven't read the thread, but has anyone mentioned the fact that its round 13 and Collingwood haven't traveled once??? Not once!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I haven't read the thread, but has anyone mentioned the fact that its round 13 and Collingwood haven't traveled once??? Not once!
wrong.

4 of them are in Arizona at the moment.

That's why Dimwit allowed them the first 13 rounds in Melbourne as compensation.

saint tash
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:I haven't read the thread, but has anyone mentioned the fact that its round 13 and Collingwood haven't traveled once??? Not once!
True....but they have sydney, gold coast, port and freo to go yet as far as travelling goes.

Not sure what I'd prefer....travel in first part of the season or last part.

The old story goes if u r good enough, u will win anywhere.

U could argue Collingwood had a home game yesterday but it's also Melbourne's home ground and was their home game.

But oh yeah, it was Melbourne's grand final yesterday hence the crowd of 70K+. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I heard the Range Rover's and Daimler's warming up at half time for the trip to Mount Buller for their annual cup of Lan Choo tea and brie cheese whilst sitting on tartan rugs. :twisted:

Oh when the saints go charging in!