Simpkin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The reason he ended up tackled is because he looked up and saw there no one to kick it too, a problem that happens all too often across our half back line.
Simpkin did alright, he has prospect.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:The reason he ended up tackled is because he looked up and saw there no one to kick it too, a problem that happens all too often across our half back line.
Simpkin did alright, he has prospect.
Exactly right.

We were on the wing below the Victory Room and had a very good view of it. Simply nothing on offer.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Okay maybe there was nothing but one-on-one contests further up the ground but he did have a handball option, and he had plenty of time and space, and to end up getting tackled and not even be able to dispose of the ball was just really bad.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Simpkin

hungry for a premiership wrote:I dont think this guy has a future at the club. Anyone disagree?
and i don't think people who have no patience or tolerance for rookies have much of a future in supporting this club.

jeez louise, let's not jump the gun, mate.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Legendary
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:Okay maybe there was nothing but one-on-one contests further up the ground but he did have a handball option, and he had plenty of time and space, and to end up getting tackled and not even be able to dispose of the ball was just really bad.
And Jason Blake, who has played 200 games for this club and 98% of games since Ross Lyon has been coach, has been caught in exactly that situation a number of times before ...

Just proves that it is no indication of Simpkin's ability or potential.

PJ
SS Life Member

2nd gamer who had a quiet one....no biggy. He seems to me to be a pretty hard worker, not flashy just gets the job done type. Can see him becoming part of the next regular defensive lineup.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

IMO he'll make it.

Have seen courageous signs of him at VFL level that made me think very early on that he has that young Goose mentality - backing into/across packs, when it's his turn to go there's no short steps. Actually has great hands and a reliable kick, just needs to adjust to the pace in the step up to the big league.

Would like to see him play at least half of the remaining games this year, I could see it really spurring him on to a really focussed pre-season knowing he'll be a major part of the next tilt at a flag.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

hungry for a premiership wrote:I'm really, really sorry to be a voice of negativity on this night that was a great win for us, but I just have to say, after having witnessed first hand tonight, that, unfortunately, Simpkin = Dud. Anyone disagree?
I think everyone disagreed. :shock:
Why didn't you mention Simpkin jumped in between the ball and a charging Minson on the lead, fair courage that. How did Jones go on him ? - apart from a couple of soft free kicks.

That particular incident off HB - Simpkin should have just kicked long - better to turn it over 50m downfield

No Contract, No contact :shock:
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

hungry for a premiership wrote:I'm really, really sorry to be a voice of negativity on this night that was a great win for us, but I just have to say, after having witnessed first hand tonight, that, unfortunately, Simpkin = Dud. That moment he had on the back flank, had time, had space, yet managed to get tackled and cost us a goal, was just really retarded, riddled with confusion and displayed a severe lack of nous. Unlike Stevens, unlike Armo, unlike Sippa (why wasnt he playing?), I dont think this guy has a future at the club. Anyone disagree?
I did see justin peckett do something as bad as what simpkin did in that instance. Peckett had the ball in the backline, played on backwards, turned around again straight into an opponent....holding the ball...goal to opposition.

What Simpkin did in that scenario did show
1. A lack of awareness
2. An inability to make a decision

I will hope it is simply a new guy mistake. We cant afford to have players in the team who engage in match losing pieces of play.

Well, this is what the play the new guys attitude is about.

Find out who has the brains for AFL level footy.

But it was bad to watch.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin looks ok to me. I'll give him time.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint58
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:I'm really, really sorry to be a voice of negativity on this night that was a great win for us, but I just have to say, after having witnessed first hand tonight, that, unfortunately, Simpkin = Dud. That moment he had on the back flank, had time, had space, yet managed to get tackled and cost us a goal, was just really retarded, riddled with confusion and displayed a severe lack of nous. Unlike Stevens, unlike Armo, unlike Sippa (why wasnt he playing?), I dont think this guy has a future at the club. Anyone disagree?
IF you consider a mistake and goals kicked on you as the player is a dud then what is Raph clarke he ofthen gets goals kicked on him from turnovers and errors so is he a DUD.

Give the kid a break he has size and smarts will get better be paitent.!!!