Armitage is a long way off it.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I was there and don't remember seeing him at a single centre bounce.
I kept on looking at the forward line at centre bounces and seeing him there and asking why the hell he was spending the whole night forward. Seemed very strange to me.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
noreason41
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I was there and don't remember seeing him at a single centre bounce.
I kept on looking at the forward line at centre bounces and seeing him there and asking why the hell he was spending the whole night forward. Seemed very strange to me.
Only reason i can think (hope) of is that Ross was giving our younger guys a straight up duel with the Collingwood mids.
Fisher got taken out of the midfield in the 2nd half, Dal wasn't their, neither was Armitage...

Hopefully our young guys can become elites in the next 12 games :wink: :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Armo -good skills, courage, but too slow and is getting caught too easily. Maybe needs a lot of running work over summer, but I think he may not be the answer as a mid

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is probably the only thing resembling the in and under mid we need, he has some tools at his disposal, and some areas to work on, he has played about 15 to 20 games people. Play youth but cut some slack when they don't come on in their first 50 games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is probably the only thing resembling the in and under mid we need, he has some tools at his disposal, and some areas to work on, he has played about 15 to 20 games people. Play youth but cut some slack when they don't come on in their first 50 games.
He has played 40 games and been at the club 5 years however he doesnt deserve this thread just as didnt deserve threads saying he will win a B&F or be AA. He is what he is, an good honest trier.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why has he played as a defensive fwd for large parts of the last two weeks.......are we trying to turn him into eddy/mcqualter....

His disposal count started well last night, he was rotated off and then came on fwd.......

Stevens rise has been armo fall....

He is losing form, but that happens to player under 50 games

saint6709
Club Player

Armo hasn't got the legs to be an out and out running midfielder - but he is built to be a strong competitor in the clinches - but to do this YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO STAY ON YOUR FEET - you can't crash through packs if your constantly diving forward - you can only crash a metre or so forward then come to a sudden halt - on the ground - I think he could be a good player but has got to learn to stay upright .

DWOODROW
Club Player

I agree daves game was anything but average.
The thing I can't understand is why is he now playing the mcqualter position.
He seems to be trying to play some sort of role on the forward flank and this is not daves position
I'm not making excuses for him but he has gone from being a clearance winner starting in the midfield to being asked to do something in the forward line.

He started the last qtr in the middle and the ball went forward and then was taken out.

Was the plan to win last night. The selection and choices of players positions confused the hell out of me.

Again no excuse for David other than maybe he needs to look at what his role is with St Kilda

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The use of armitage has been staggering

Along with

Fisher, dal, steven, gilbert, siposs

But most of all

Riewoldt

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The use of armitage has been staggering

Along with

But most of all

Riewoldt
Didnt see any issues with any of those players the last 2 weeks. Steven is playing in exactly the right position. Fisher has done well. Gilbert has improved the last few weeks. have no idea where else you would play Siposs. Dal has been great in the last 2 games. Armo and Rooy are struggling.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Maybe his asking price for next year was going to be too much.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lefty
Club Player

Sigh, someone makes a thread, and every time you saw him, he was playing the majority in the forward line.

Maybe people just think who ever kicks the ball out of the middle is the clearance winner, yet don't value/take note who actually got the handball out.... time after time, I see armo get tackled winning the hard ball, and hit a handball out to a team-mate. We got a goal out of one of them in the forward line last night.

Go look at the other blokes in the midfield who need to win the center clearances, ala Jones, Ray, Peake.... ever seen Jones run out of the middle and hit up a leading target? Had a simple kick to a teammate, and kicks it along the ground....

noreason41
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:The use of armitage has been staggering

Along with

But most of all

Riewoldt
Didnt see any issues with any of those players the last 2 weeks. Steven is playing in exactly the right position. Fisher has done well. Gilbert has improved the last few weeks. have no idea where else you would play Siposs. Dal has been great in the last 2 games. Armo and Rooy are struggling.
Agree. ATM taking Fisher out of the backline causes our backline to be weaker, but playing as a mid he's probably our best or 2nd best mid atm. (Dal being the other).

mordi
Club Player

Thought he went to a new level tonight. His tackling in particular was Lenny like....

What's the Point of it All?
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mordi wrote:Thought he went to a new level tonight. His tackling in particular was Lenny like....
If Armo is our worst player we're traveling alright.

RW&B
Club Player

mordi wrote:Thought he went to a new level tonight. His tackling in particular was Lenny like....
A HUGE wrap but a deserved one tonight.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He's an impact player. What he does, he does well, but not enough of it. Still love his effort in the clinches.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Clarke was solid tonight 1 free was a bad decision from the ump. noreason settle down and actually watch the match without clarker hatred glasses on, he will retain his spot, gram is a shadow of what he was thou.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Clarke was solid tonight 1 free was a bad decision from the ump. noreason settle down and actually watch the match without clarker hatred glasses on, he will retain his spot, gram is a shadow of what he was thou.
Thought Grams 3rd quarter was very good.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

agree plugger but one quater from a senior player isn't good enough

saint58
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
jonesy wrote:He's just a player.

Was born 15 years to late. Would of been good in the 80s/90's
Interesting perspective, and I don't totally disagree.

Is he a bit like Brock McLean, one-paced and not creative enough?
Armo did a good job tonight he was allways at the bottom of packs and got the ball out a number of time.

He just keeps going and he gets ball side of the hit outs a lot,how many times did he knock the ball on to advantage and bump a opposition player of the ball so we could get it i saw these things a lot tonight.

He can kick both feet unlike Gram and a few others which makes him dangerious and gets him out of trouble.

HE can allso kick goals which is very handy so for now lets let the kid play and wait untill he has 50 games up to judge him again he is not the worst player out there.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thought clarke ok good also.

“Yeah….nah””
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armitage is a long way off it.

dcstkfc wrote:Had one clearance. He's a hard nut, but he is a long, long way off being a no.1 mid.
He isn't our #1, so what are you whinging about? No Lenny, no Monty, go figure.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Had one clearance. He's a hard nut, but he is a long, long way off being a no.1 mid.
I'd say at the moment Jack Steven is our no.1 inside midfielder.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
degruch wrote:
I'd say at the moment Jack Steven is our no.1 inside midfielder.
Hes close to our only one...we were smashed once again in contested posessions..by 29 tonight

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor