Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thequarry
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Put it this way, he has no 'out' clause.

I'm not disappointed in the selction of Clarke, because we need selection integrity and he has earned it.

But Gamble and particularly Gram have done nothing special at VFL level. Why not Al Smith who was in the best last week?
By all Sandy reports, Smith seemed to have earned a spot ahead of Gram and Gamble over the last few weeks.

But then perhaps the selectors thought a midfield featuring Armitage, Steven, Ledger and Smith would be too inexperienced?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BTW Vegas and Raph are essentially playing for their careers.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
westy
Club Player

You beauty! I want to see The Bakermeister clean up that filthy rotten dog, Giansirracusa or whatever his name is.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
saintly
Saintsational Legend

RADIO: PRE-GAME

6:40pm: 3AW - Steven King
6:45pm: SEN - Robert Harvey
6:50pm: AFL Live - Peter Berbakov

CHANNEL 7

PRE-GAME: Ross Lyon
QUARTER TIME: Ross Lyon
HALF TIME: Leigh Montagna

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:RADIO: PRE-GAME

6:40pm: 3AW - Steven King
6:45pm: SEN - Robert Harvey
6:50pm: AFL Live - Peter Berbakov

CHANNEL 7

PRE-GAME: Ross Lyon
QUARTER TIME: Ross Lyon
HALF TIME: Leigh Montagna
how on earth am I supposed to listen to them all :P when they are on at the same time :P)

is Joey going to be post game as well?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Interesting selections. :!:

I thought that Polo would be an out, because of the need for more pace against the Dogs.

They are clearly taking a risk with Gram. He can play and let's hope that he produces the goods!

Sipposs for Gamble is a strait swap. Again a risk, but I thought that Gamble may have been given a try a couple of weeks ago, when he kicked a lot of goals in the VFL. As others have said, his Sandy form last week was not great.

Clarke deserves his shot, which will release Chips.

Who for the Sub. :?: My guess is Ledger. With Gamble & Clarke selected, they will play. Ray is an "in."

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Interesting to see Gamble get given another go. Wouldn't have minded seeing Walsh get a go and go with the two tall forwards (and also someone else that can run through the ruck at times against Hudson & Minson).

Not really keen on seeing Clarke back in the side, although there was probably nobody else really competing with him through form in the VFL. Seeing Gram back in despite apparent sub-par form in the VFL, as opposed to somebody like Smith, is another interesting call.

Hopefully we can fire up and show some form. Each and every game is critical for us at this point.

The Saints are coming!
Saints Angel
Club Player

[quote="SaintSimmo"]IN
gamble (HUGE risk)
clarke (expected)
gram (surprise considering he hasnt been performing in the vfl)

OUT
montagna out (injured)
polo (he is an ex tiger for a reason, no loss there)
siposs (rested???) interesting call[/quote]

Thats is the correct deduction I believe. Gamble and Gram I have no confidence in at presence. Clarke - hope he has a great game. Go Saints, we need this one.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Siposs has many years of great footy ahead, but needs to develop more. RL is going for experience with Gram. Gamble was recruited as a forward, and as we are lacking any consistant forward, at least play him. Polo needs more consistancy

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Raph makes sense given that, by all reports, he has had two good games in a row at the Zebras. Polo hasn't been great and doesn't demand selection.

Gram for Joey makes some sense. Ideally he would be in better form, but at least he's experienced. Smith hasn't looked like he's up to AFL standard. Bringing him back now for a do or die game would be a case of "play the kids" gone mad.

Gamble comes in because they have run out of other options. It would be grossly unfair to expect Walsh to debut at AFL level as a forward; worse still as a forward-cum-ruck. Zac in the forward line is a pipe dream, Kosi is unfit, Siposs needs a spell: what else could they do?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:BTW Vegas and Raph are essentially playing for their careers.
I'm feeling quite cynical about this week's selections... I half fancy the only reason Ross has picked these three is to get one last look at them before he decides whether to stamp their papers. :oops:

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:BTW Vegas and Raph are essentially playing for their careers.
I'm feeling quite cynical about this week's selections... I half fancy the only reason Ross has picked these three is to get one last look at them before he decides whether to stamp their papers. :oops:
Well, if that's true then he should be sacked immediately. If we win tomorrow, we can still make the 8, so we need our best team out there.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree MB

Siposs needs a rest, it's probably a week late.

Kosi would be unfair given sick, Walsh as you say has been developing as a backman and it would also be unrealistic.

Depth, that's what it's there for afterall.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:Well, if that's true then he should be sacked immediately. If we win tomorrow, we can still make the 8, so we need our best team out there.
What are you talking about, you can read Ross' thoughts, you already know the answer to that.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
meher baba wrote:Well, if that's true then he should be sacked immediately. If we win tomorrow, we can still make the 8, so we need our best team out there.
What are you talking about, you can read Ross' thoughts, you already know the answer to that.

:? :? :?

- Jonathan Swift
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gram for Montagna is like for like, As is Gamble for Siposs. The guy got three more games than I expected from a first year player. Clarke had to be rewarded for form, over all not too bad selections. Alot of geelong fans thought Gamble was a good fit at the Saints, remember he did kick a bag in the nab.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Just noticed that Tom Lynch has been named for Sandringham this weekend. Disappointed that he wasn't brought back into the senior team after his good game two weeks ago in Perth. He was ahead of Gamble two weeks ago and apparently Gamble had a poor game last week, so it doesn't make a lot of sense. Does Lynch really need a run in the two's after missing just one game?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Smith had missed two games before playing last week... so needs to show again-

sandy team is looking good for this week.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why do people not realise that montagna in an inside/outside mid.....he is not a flanker......

He lead us in contested ball in 2010..... Not sure where jason ranked??

DWOODROW
Club Player

thequarry wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Put it this way, he has no 'out' clause.

I'm not disappointed in the selction of Clarke, because we need selection integrity and he has earned it.

But Gamble and particularly Gram have done nothing special at VFL level. Why not Al Smith who was in the best last week?
By all Sandy reports, Smith seemed to have earned a spot ahead of Gram and Gamble over the last few weeks.

But then perhaps the selectors thought a midfield featuring Armitage, Steven, Ledger and Smith would be too inexperienced?
Armitage hasn,t been in the middle for a few weeks .
Don't think much will change this week.

Sorry I'm lying. He got 3 1/2 mins in the last qtr last week.
Personally I would like to see Dave and ledger swap off half forward

saintbob
SS Life Member

Geez RL, I hope you haven't lost this one at the selection table!!!!

Gram and Gamble are being rewarded for WHAT exactly??????

VERY DISAPPOINTING

DWOODROW
Club Player

Mind you I could br wrong, I have missed a few games but from what I have heard he is playing forward a bit more

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Just noticed that Tom Lynch has been named for Sandringham this weekend. Disappointed that he wasn't brought back into the senior team after his good game two weeks ago in Perth. He was ahead of Gamble two weeks ago and apparently Gamble had a poor game last week, so it doesn't make a lot of sense. Does Lynch really need a run in the two's after missing just one game?
I must have missed Lynch's good game in Perth.

If you mean the game against Freo, I don't recall him doing anything much. Did he do a lot of good work off the ball that the TV cameras didn't pick up?

- Jonathan Swift
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jason "The butcher of Seaford" Gram gets a call up.....

cant wait.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Just noticed that Tom Lynch has been named for Sandringham this weekend. Disappointed that he wasn't brought back into the senior team after his good game two weeks ago in Perth. He was ahead of Gamble two weeks ago and apparently Gamble had a poor game last week, so it doesn't make a lot of sense. Does Lynch really need a run in the two's after missing just one game?
I'm with you, I thought Lynch's game in perth was better than any gamble has played for us so far… I can understand Raph and Gram a bit more given they have both played some good footy for us before.
Also thought Blake being out would be a good time to give Walsh a try?
I hope Ledger starts the game, not our sub, he had more go in him than a lot of others…