AFL Hall of fame- Thurs 9th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

AFL Hall of fame- Thurs 9th

apart from the Big 6 being eligible
http://one.com.au/one/newsarticles/AFL- ... f-Fame.htm

which includes Harvs

with the criteria for number to go in being
But changes to the Hall Of Fame voting criteria last year means there can be a maximum of six inductees at a time.

Also, this year one of the inductees has to be a former umpire, football administrator or media person.
any other snippetts on who may go in?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mick13
Club Player

Pretty sure Harves retired in 2008?

Wait no, the prelim against Hawthorn was definitely a nightmare, its okay guys!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

umpire, admin, or media?
they would taint the names of five great players by putting the eqivalent of mclaren, geisham, or hutchy in there?
or is this a once off to get lou in?
Last edited by desertsaint on Thu 09 Jun 2011 12:38am, edited 2 times in total.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:umpire, admin, or media?
they would taint the names of five great players by putting the eqivalent of mclaren, geisham, or hutchy in there?
or is this a once off to get lou in?
Hmmm.

Like your thinking re Lou.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Banger724
Club Player

Lou's already in the Hall of Fame isn't he, pretty sure. I think the hullabaloo about him in the last year or so is about upgrading him to legend status.

Stand to be corrected.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Banger724 wrote:Lou's already in the Hall of Fame isn't he, pretty sure. I think the hullabaloo about him in the last year or so is about upgrading him to legend status.

Stand to be corrected.
Remain seated...you're correct.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

mick13 wrote:Pretty sure Harves retired in 2008?

Yep Harves retired after the prelim in 2008, eligibility for HoF is at least 3years after retirement, that would mean he isnt eligible until next year (I think)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Media Inductee- Tony Charleton

Local/ state - Horry Gorange

Michael Voss

Nathan Buckley

Mark Riccutio

James Hird
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 09 Jun 2011 11:20pm, edited 3 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

mick13 wrote:Pretty sure Harves retired in 2008?

Apparently only those that retired 2007 are now eligable, meaning Harvs & Crawford arent til next year

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

kosi

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
To the top
SS Life Member

I fail to see why any conditions are placed around the inducting of players/administrators/umpires etc. to this status.

Simply, if you deserve it you should be inducted.

Particularly, dictating that one inductee should be an umpire/media "personality" etc. etc. is just plain insulting - accentuated by the number of inductees being limited.

And to one contributor, can I suggest that Kosi has a far better chance than you because he has played over 160 games at the highest level - and will achieve a 200 plus game career.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I fail to see why any conditions are placed around the inducting of players/administrators/umpires etc. to this status.

Simply, if you deserve it you should be inducted.

Particularly, dictating that one inductee should be an umpire/media "personality" etc. etc. is just plain insulting - accentuated by the number of inductees being limited.

And to one contributor, can I suggest that Kosi has a far better chance than you because he has played over 160 games at the highest level - and will achieve a 200 plus game career.
33 to go for 200 games, I wouldn't bet on it with your money.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mcadam05
Club Player

Stewart Loewe played 321mts and kicked 594gls but he looks miles from getting in and what about Milne? he will more then likely kick over 500gls amazing stat for a small fwd but what are his chances?? slim too none i would think

who really knows :roll:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:Stewart Loewe played 321mts and kicked 594gls but he looks miles from getting in and what about Milne? he will more then likely kick over 500gls amazing stat for a small fwd but what are his chances?? slim too none i would think

who really knows :roll:
Let's face it, as long as we're not winning premierships, we'll have less Hall of Fame inductees, because premierships make a player more 'worthy' somehow.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I'll add to that, Brad Johnson 364 games, 558 goals will be a litmus test, because Loewey probably deserves it more.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Media inductees to thr hall of fame? Umpires? Administrators? FFS!

What next? groupies, with KD as founding member?

I couldn't give a stuff anyway: the whole hall of fame business is just a shameless copying of a cheesy concept from America and can go straight back there AFAIC.

Once they decided to put a mediocre player like Lou in there (great bloke I'm sure, but never a superstar on the field) any credibility the concept ever had went straight down the drain.

I think only the Allan Border medal is sillier. But there isn't much in it.
Last edited by meher baba on Fri 10 Jun 2011 6:20am, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Media inductees to thr hall of fame? Umpires? Administrators? FFS!

Why not groupies, with KD as founding member?

I couldn't give a stuff anyway: the whole hall of fame business is just a shameless copying of a cheesy concept from America and can go straight back there AFAIC.

Once they decided to put a mediocre player like Lou in there (great bloke I'm sure, but never a superstar on the field) any credibility the concept ever had went straight down the drain.

The true AFL "hall of fame" IMO is the list of past Brownlow, Coleman, etc. winners.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
samwell
Club Player

meher baba wrote: The true AFL "hall of fame" IMO is the list of past Brownlow, Coleman, etc. winners.
Woewodin???

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Media inductees to thr hall of fame? Umpires? Administrators? FFS!

Why not groupies, with KD as founding member?

The true AFL "hall of fame" IMO is the list of past Brownlow, Coleman, etc. winners.
Yeah, I've got to admit I don't really get what the big deal is.

Infact, I don't even really understand the concept at all!

Does this now mean that when arguing on a footy forum (years ago I would have said 'at the pub'!) as to whether Buckley was better than Harves, the answer is 'yes' - because he's in the AFL Hall of Fame??

It's probably cool for the players grandkids and kids to tell their mates that their dad or Pa are in the AFL Hall of Fame I suppose, but aside from them I can't for the life of me understand why anyone else cares less!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

samwell wrote:
meher baba wrote: The true AFL "hall of fame" IMO is the list of past Brownlow, Coleman, etc. winners.
Woewodin???
Off the top of my head, the following wouldn't be a member under this criteria:-
Baldock
DItterich
Whitten
Barassi
Dyer
Brereton
Watson
Bartlett
Matthews (did he win a Coleman?)

just to name but a few of the members who have not wno a Brownlow, Coleman or any other similar (AFL/VFL) medal.

Surely the criteria of their overall contribution to the game is reasonable?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
samwell wrote:
Woewodin???
Off the top of my head, the following wouldn't be a member under this criteria:-
Baldock
DItterich
Whitten
Barassi
Dyer
Brereton
Watson
Bartlett
Matthews (did he win a Coleman?)

just to name but a few of the members who have not wno a Brownlow, Coleman or any other similar (AFL/VFL) medal.

Surely the criteria of their overall contribution to the game is reasonable?
Yes it is, but do we really need an artificial, Americanised construct like a Hall of Fame to remember them all by?

And, while there is a clear bias towards midfielders in the Brownlow - even extremely ordinary ones like Woewodin - the Hall of Fame so far has shown a bit of a tendency towards an even distribution across the clubs.

This means that, as an earlier poster pointed out, I don't think there's much doubt at all that Brad Johnson will get inducted whereas quite a few much better players will miss out because they played at a club at a time when other more clear cut inductees were playing.

Personally, I'm far more excited about tonight's game than anything that happened in the past. Sport is about the contest here and now: the history is vaguely interesting, but not that much.

And, when I do occasionally look at replays of games from days gone by, I tend to find the hairstyles far too distracting for me to focus on the play.

- Jonathan Swift
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

saintdooley wrote:kosi
Stick to playing with your flogger

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:...Matthews (did he win a Coleman?)...
1975 with 67 goals.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Personally, I'm far more excited about tonight's game than anything that happened in the past. Sport is about the contest here and now: the history is vaguely interesting, but not that much.

And, when I do occasionally look at replays of games from days gone by, I tend to find the hairstyles far too distracting for me to focus on the play.
I love history.

I love the romance, the stories, the folklore and everything that comes with it!

What I don't really get, is why we need to be told by the AFL who is a legend and who was good enough to be inducted into this AFL Hall of Fame.
We've seen most of these blokes play, we can make up our own f****** minds thank very much!

Some things in the game are clear cut - goals kicked, games played, flags won etc.
But the ability, contribution and legend status of players is clearly one thing that is not definitive. It's all opinion. It's in the eye of the beholder.

It's a bit like the Norm Smith Medal, and the Brownlow in a way. They have an aura about them, but in reality they're awarded to guys that certain people think were the best on the ground in the GF, or best on the ground each week. It's not categoric at all. It's the opinion of a very tiny cross section of footy watchers - and in most cases footy watchers of whom we have zero respect for in relation to the game almost every other day of the year!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Banger724 wrote:Lou's already in the Hall of Fame isn't he, pretty sure. I think the hullabaloo about him in the last year or so is about upgrading him to legend status.Stand to be corrected.
Yep, things were pretty quiet in Eddie's life around this time last year when he brought it up. Make no mistake, it was ALL about Eddie !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!