Play Zack in Attack!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:How come he won a B&F in Box Hill reserves
Shall I, or does somebody else want to...?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
VCFL is a higher standard than VFL reserves, is it? Are there a lot of "standard" 18 year old key forwards running around in the VCFL that would waltz in and win a B&F in the VFL reserves?
And I notice you conveniently left out the part about how he went on to have other good games at senior VFL level up forward, including a bag of 8 goals. Again, how many "standard forwards" from the VCFL would have 8 goal games in the VFL at the age of 22? Is that some super-dooper competition that we're all unaware of?
Brendan Fevola, one of the all time best at full forward in the history of Australian Rules football hasn't even gotten close to kicking 8 goals in a VFL game this year. If it was that easy to do he'd surely be kicking a lazy dozen each week.
Zac has a proven ability to play football up forward. Something many on here seem to have a huge problem with, for some reason. I'm far from his biggest fan, but I'm not one to die wondering.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

As much as every one bags him he is a decent full back. He has been good this year and doesn't deserve the crap he gets.

Sam Fisher would be my pick forward, just a beautiful mark, contested and on the lead, kicks straight and can run, just a shame we need him in the backline and the middle as well.

By the way Zac would have been a good forward but now he has played down back for so long he would need to relearn the forward role.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:As much as every one bags him he is a decent full back. He has been good this year and doesn't deserve the crap he gets.

Sam Fisher would be my pick forward, just a beautiful mark, contested and on the lead, kicks straight and can run, just a shame we need him in the backline and the middle as well.

By the way Zac would have been a good forward but now he has played down back for so long he would need to relearn the forward role.
If only we had two Zacs. We could play one forward and one back. I can dream a little.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: If only we had two Zacs. We could play one forward and one back. I can dream a little.
You're such a dreamer pav, 2 zacs, 2 minis, 2 eddys, 2 raphs, 2 jones…
Just kick back and dream a little more…

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SaintPav wrote: If only we had two Zacs. We could play one forward and one back. I can dream a little.
they can't play key position.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
dragit wrote:
maybe we just haven't tried them out as KP enough yet? eh?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
dragit wrote:
maybe we just haven't tried them out as KP enough yet? eh?
Good point. I always believed that Raph had the ability to hold down CHF.

saint58
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
VCFL is a higher standard than VFL reserves, is it? Are there a lot of "standard" 18 year old key forwards running around in the VCFL that would waltz in and win a B&F in the VFL reserves?
And I notice you conveniently left out the part about how he went on to have other good games at senior VFL level up forward, including a bag of 8 goals. Again, how many "standard forwards" from the VCFL would have 8 goal games in the VFL at the age of 22? Is that some super-dooper competition that we're all unaware of?
Brendan Fevola, one of the all time best at full forward in the history of Australian Rules football hasn't even gotten close to kicking 8 goals in a VFL game this year. If it was that easy to do he'd surely be kicking a lazy dozen each week.
Zac has a proven ability to play football up forward. Something many on here seem to have a huge problem with, for some reason. I'm far from his biggest fan, but I'm not one to die wondering.

Great post,With Zack up there it would all us to allso play a nother young tall forward like Archer,Stanley,Johnson,Lynch and not have them there with out any Experience around them.We have experience crummers who would take a lot of the heat as well.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:As much as every one bags him he is a decent full back. He has been good this year and doesn't deserve the crap he gets.

Yes Zac would have to relearn the role, as would Sam Fisher who has been down back even longer.

And the same applies to Tommy Walsh – he has been down back a shorter time than either but then again is learning the whole game anyway.

However this whole relearning the role stuff is not the deal breaker for us IMO.

I’d forget Fisher because, as you say, he is just too important elsewhere

But let’s consider Zac or Tommy. All any of these guys need to do is run, contest, mark and tackle. Things they’ve already done well in defence. If they can do that well it would put them way ahead of any second key marking forward we’ve had so far this year. They can learn the nuances, like where to lead, on the job.

That’s how I look at it anyway.

When looking at the possibility of Zac or Tommy up forward we don’t need to compare them to Lockett or Dunstall.

We don’t even need to compare them to Cloke or Dawes.

We simply need to compare them to the other options currently available to us.

Yes we’re facing make or break games every week. But if I read Ross correctly, I think he will continue to experiment and develop the side and the game plan and if the end result is we’re in the finals, great! And if we miss out, so be it.

And that’s how I look at it also.

saint tash
Club Player

Got nothing to lose really. Look at Brian Lake last week against the Cats. Hardly touched it until Rocket moved him forward and kicked 3 goals in fairly quick succession albeit the game was well and truly over.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Yes Zac would have to relearn the role, as would Sam Fisher who has been down back even longer.

And the same applies to Tommy Walsh – he has been down back a shorter time than either but then again is learning the whole game anyway.

However this whole relearning the role stuff is not the deal breaker for us IMO.

I’d forget Fisher because, as you say, he is just too important elsewhere

But let’s consider Zac or Tommy. All any of these guys need to do is run, contest, mark and tackle. Things they’ve already done well in defence. If they can do that well it would put them way ahead of any second key marking forward we’ve had so far this year. They can learn the nuances, like where to lead, on the job.

That’s how I look at it anyway.

When looking at the possibility of Zac or Tommy up forward we don’t need to compare them to Lockett or Dunstall.

We don’t even need to compare them to Cloke or Dawes.

We simply need to compare them to the other options currently available to us.

Yes we’re facing make or break games every week. But if I read Ross correctly, I think he will continue to experiment and develop the side and the game plan and if the end result is we’re in the finals, great! And if we miss out, so be it.

And that’s how I look at it also.
Spot on about the comparisons. I would comapre Zac at FF to someone like Jodi Arnold. He won a game or two off his own boot.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am worried that if they play Lake at FF on Zac he will have a blinder. If they wont drop Zac, put him at FF.

saint tash
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
I think Steven Kenna also won a B & F at Box Hill. Now he is playing in the QAFL.

There are a host of local league/ammo players that have been consistently amongst the best in their field who have by various reasons not gone on with it.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saint tash wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
I think Steven Kenna also won a B & F at Box Hill. Now he is playing in the QAFL.

There are a host of local league/ammo players that have been consistently amongst the best in their field who have by various reasons not gone on with it.
Nearly took a whole page, but we got there in the end.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint6709
Club Player

I agree with the 'what have we got to loose' comment - Give him a crack up forward - he might enjoy actually going for the ball and might suprise - If not that he might as well ride shot gun with Kosi at the wheel to the knackery - cause he's got to be finished down back

saintbob
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:...for Sandy.... Agreed...

Zac's going backwards, and is creating more bad habits rather than eradicating ones he already has...

Sure he's under more pressure now with the team struggling more often, but he is not improving, and needs to be replaced IMO...
Great post, I agree 100%

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Sobraz wrote:...for Sandy.... Agreed...

Zac's going backwards, and is creating more bad habits rather than eradicating ones he already has...

Sure he's under more pressure now with the team struggling more often, but he is not improving, and needs to be replaced IMO...
Great post, I agree 100%
Yes fantastic post and while we are at it why the hell is Kosi and Gram still on our list. Pathetic.