Shane Warne attacks as Saints continue to defend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Cricket IS a minor sport in the world sporting landscape. I used to like watching it years ago, but it has rapidly declined in standards, and now is a joke.

Warne is a tiresome spoilt brat who loves the limelight.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Cricket IS a minor sport in the world sporting landscape. I used to like watching it years ago, but it has rapidly declined in standards, and now is a joke.

Warne is a tiresome spoilt brat who loves the limelight.
Hope no one in the AFL ever says anything then. Silly statement at best.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:And just what sort of a footy career did Warnie actually have (to consider himself qualified to diss our coach?) :roll: Warnie you really should stick to texting/bowling/whatever :roll: :roll: :roll:
Well apaprently cos its "Warrrrnnneyyyyyy..leggennndddd...maaaaaaaaateeee" *thrust can of Jack Daniels in the air* his opinion carries more weight than yours or mine
Who the hell said that? And you reckon Warney talks s***? His opinion carries more weight than probably anyone here because he knows first hand what it takes to make it to the very top in elite sport and also how to coach others to win, against the odds, in a multi million dollar sporting competition.
Which of those things have either of you two managed to do?
If it was someone else having this conversation and you were just listening in, who would you say knows more on a topic like this?
A couple of "Joe-Blo's" on an internet forum, or someone who has achieved the ultimate in international level, elite sport? If you two put on a seminar on how to get the best results in elite sport and Shane Warne put on a seminar on how to do it, who do you think would pack the room out?
People like Warne, like him personally or not, are the reason clubs like North Melbourne go to Utah to see how they go about preparing for elite competition. Or why Nathan Buckley went over to the UK to learn how elite soccer teams go about their business and coaching. (Or why Fremantle employed Ric Charlsworth on their coaching panel a few years ago, even though his main experience was coaching hockey.)
They're not going over there because the only way to learn things that can be applied to Aussie rules is by watching or playing Aussie rules. They're not that naive. They're going on trips like that to learn how the best of the best go about things, because it doesn't matter which sport you're playing, as these basic principals can be applied to ANY sport.
As can what Warne knows.
It's just an added bonus that he's also played the game and also follows our club with a passion.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did i actually read that...cricket is a minor sport....what sort of naive, dumb, ridiculous, moronic, pathetic, one eyed, ill informed rubbish is that....

Are you andrew demetriou??

Cricket is our national sport......bradman, benaud, warne, lillee, mcrath, border, mcgrath, miller, trumper, gilchrist....are names that are international heros, world champions...

Never mind
Tendulker, lara, hadlee, richards, khan, botham, akram, ambrose, pollock, donald, dravid, kallis, sagakarra, murali...and other international greats

AFL......compared to that, is like comparing a bbc network star, to rebecca gibney....

So come on, perspective

Btw....warnie was a very good footballer....just slightly better at cricket

Think outside of victoria.....afl is the number 1 sport in 4 states.....and a national game only....

A hundred times more people watch and play cricket world wide......

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

stevie wrote:Warne isn't relevant anymore so he has to stay in the public eye.
Right. He just retired a month or so ago, after another very successful campaign in the IPL (at the age of 41, no mean feat), where he apparently made $1.9million for 6 weeks work, but you say he is irrelevant, just like that, even though he still does commentary, etc. Rightio.
And you say cricket is a "minor sport". How is a sport with an audience of probably over a billion, "minor"? What is Aussie Rules, then, with an audience of not even 10million? That's about 1%, or one 100th of the audience of cricket? How puny is our game if cricket is "minor", yet 100+ times more popular than Aussie rules?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

whilst acknowledging Warney's passion and skill in tactics in Cricket and wish to see the saints win there are a couple of grains of Salt I would add.

Warney gets passionate when it is current and he is in the country.

and is good friends with a former player who was also passionate but dissappointed......
so the query is - how much recently ( as in years) has warney watched to see where the Saints have come from...

Not saying he is Right- or wrong ( although I firmly believe sacking Ross would be horribly wrong on many levels.)
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 05 Jun 2011 8:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did i actually read that...cricket is a minor sport....what sort of naive, dumb, ridiculous, moronic, pathetic, one eyed, ill informed rubbish is that....

Are you andrew demetriou??

Cricket is our national sport......bradman, benaud, warne, lillee, mcrath, border, mcgrath, miller, trumper, gilchrist....are names that are international heros, world champions...

Never mind
Tendulker, lara, hadlee, richards, khan, botham, akram, ambrose, pollock, donald, dravid, kallis, sagakarra, murali...and other international greats

AFL......compared to that, is like comparing a bbc network star, to rebecca gibney....

So come on, perspective

Btw....warnie was a very good footballer....just slightly better at cricket

Think outside of victoria.....afl is the number 1 sport in 4 states.....and a national game only....

A hundred times more people watch and play cricket world wide......
Except for the sub continent, cricket is dead or near death.
In England it is certainly a minor sport, in Australia it would be very few people's first choice in sport.
A bit like the labour party, would win nationalism by preference votes only.

Warnie was a poor man's Fev as a footballer.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Come on maverick....

Except for the sub continent, cricket is dead......the ashes were sold out, just 4 months ago....

I was in england when tney won the ashes.....sold out......south africa loves the game.... The west indies, well their countries are f***ed...

And a lazy 2 billion live in the sub continent....so it is pretty healthy....just because the aussies arent dominant, doesnt mean the game is dead, just means fly by night aussies no longer pay much attention.....

Warnie was one of wisden crickets 5 greatest players in the century.......fev has won a coleman.......bit of a difference....

Maybe a comparison to gary ablett snr or carey would have worked better

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think he was talking about Warnie as a footballer not cricketer.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I wasn't comparing cricket to AFL. On the world stage, cricket is hardly up there with other sports.

Ok, I stirred up some stuff... while I acknowledge warne was good at the game, he is annoying with his public antics.

Like a lot of other Aussies, I'm sick of this tedious nationalistic worship of cheeky yobboes which died a death years ago. How can tv justify showing stupid beer ads still while smoking ads were banned ages ago?

No wonder our govt is an embarrassment to our country, while we cling to out dated 'role-f******-models'.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Come on maverick....

Except for the sub continent, cricket is dead......the ashes were sold out, just 4 months ago....

I was in england when tney won the ashes.....sold out......south africa loves the game.... The west indies, well their countries are f***ed...

And a lazy 2 billion live in the sub continent....so it is pretty healthy....just because the aussies arent dominant, doesnt mean the game is dead, just means fly by night aussies no longer pay much attention.....

Warnie was one of wisden crickets 5 greatest players in the century.......fev has won a coleman.......bit of a difference....

Maybe a comparison to gary ablett snr or carey would have worked better
You need 15000 people to fill a cricket stadium in the UK, and the Ashes is the only time they get close. And if you are under 60 you are lost...

Cricket is dying in Australia, we all know it is...the crowds are down, the interest is low and the rules are rigged for the sub continent...20/20 will kill the game not help it.

Read the quote about Warnie again, i said as a FOOTBALLER not cricketer...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saint tash wrote:It's Warne. He has a right to his views whether we agree or disagree. Being a champion cricketer doesn't make him more or less of an expert.
He does know about winning, though. He's a "winner". He has the "killer instinct" (in spades) that our footy team sadly lacks.
Many on here bag the likes of him and Dermott, when they come out and say stuff about our club, but they at least know all about what it takes to achieve the ultimate in their professions, whether it be footy, cricket, or whatever, no matter what we think of them personally.
Winning is winning.
Unless you're more successful than them, it would surely pay you to listen to what they have to say, if you want to be successful, that is. Doesn't mean you have to be like them in every way, or course, but they would have plenty to teach those wise enough to realise they know a thing or two about achieving the ultimate in their chosen field.
I dont get this.

Dermie played in winning Premiership teams therefore he KNOWS football and how to win and we should listen to him????

Tim Watson played in winning Premierships sides too - he couldnt coach and admitted as such.

Plenty players played in Premierships......doesnt mean their opinions are all worthy - some are just good players but not necessarily geniuses when it comes to understanding the game. IMO this is Dermuut whose just an ass clown that loves his own voice.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I wasn't comparing cricket to AFL. On the world stage, cricket is hardly up there with other sports.

Ok, I stirred up some stuff... while I acknowledge warne was good at the game, he is annoying with his public antics.

Like a lot of other Aussies, I'm sick of this tedious nationalistic worship of cheeky yobboes which died a death years ago. How can tv justify showing stupid beer ads still while smoking ads were banned ages ago?

No wonder our govt is an embarrassment to our country, while we cling to out dated 'role-f******-models'.
Fair bit in that I agree with.

I havent watched cricket in years, ironically since the "yobbos" left.....I guess I just like my sport with some sort of individual personality.....as for "Pup" Clarke with his lattes and modelling.....who gives a toss...

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
stevie wrote:I wasn't comparing cricket to AFL. On the world stage, cricket is hardly up there with other sports.

Fair bit in that I agree with.

I havent watched cricket in years, ironically since the "yobbos" left.....I guess I just like my sport with some sort of individual personality.....as for "Pup" Clarke with his lattes and modelling.....who gives a toss...
Yup, and you aren't alone...

older saint
SS Life Member

Warnie opinion is no more valid than everyo other mug supporter here or on Twitter.

Just because he is the 2nd greatest cricketer this country has produced and played a few Under 19 games does not in any way shape or form make comments he makes re footy hold any greater weight,except by Journo's struggling for a story.

Great he is a passionate and has an opinion but let's not get carried away and put any weight on it.!
Last edited by older saint on Mon 06 Jun 2011 2:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

BigMart wrote: Btw....warnie was a very good footballer....just slightly better at cricket
I saw him play...... no he wasn't.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

who???

ohhhhh
the bloke bonking Hurley

:twisted:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
BigMart wrote: Btw....warnie was a very good footballer....just slightly better at cricket
He must of been ok if they gave him one game in the reserves. Although back then he was probably being recruited for his skills in the disco.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
A buck for every fuelled up bar leaner who spruiks that spurious qualification ...

Almost as credible as 'Oh yeah I wasn't a bad player in the day. Actually got invited to train with [enter side] in 1976...

Pffft.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Someone should tell Warnie to vent his spleen on here as well.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Cairnsman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
He must of been ok if they gave him one game in the reserves. Although back then he was probably being recruited for his skills in the disco.
Came on as a sub in the last quarter.

Bit like Newman playing his 300th in a Dressing Gown.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Megsie
Club Player

You're a DILL just like Eddie.

Go fix up your own backyard you FAIR WEATHER Barraacker.

Doub t you even have a "paid for" membership.

BOGAN.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:You're a DILL just like Eddie.

BOGAN.
Excellent stuff.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Megsie wrote:You're a DILL just like Eddie.

BOGAN.
Excellent stuff.
Warnie for Prez!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
A buck for every fuelled up bar leaner who spruiks that spurious qualification ...

Almost as credible as 'Oh yeah I wasn't a bad player in the day. Actually got invited to train with [enter side] in 1976...

Pffft.
:wink: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.