Zac Dawson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Zac strength is not one on one simply because he does not have the upper body strength that Max or Jamie Shanahan had.
What he is good at is the run and jump spoil when the ball is delivered the way we deliver it to Roo.
He does need another strong defender down there to help out, like some guy from Ireland.
Think next week could be a good time to give Tommy a run, Bulldogs have no power forwards.
Mind you that will suit Zac as well.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Posters are saying that Zac is the only big option we have in defence. Well Tom Walsh is the same height and a fair bit heavier. Providing he was'nt towelled up by Fev today I think it is his time to take over fullback.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Was found out last night but wasn't alone. Polo would want improve his kicking quick smart. Peake for all his positives is in a similar boat. And sadly it goodnight for Steven Baker.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saint58
Club Player

Re: Zac Dawson

hungry for a premiership wrote:Absolutely monstered by Cloke tonight. Worked under the ball with ease, didn't make much of an effort at ground level. He's what, 24ish now, and still has little kid skinny arms.

Severe lack of talent and intelligence.

Get rid of him, for christs sake, get rid of him.

Or continue to persist with him and have a hole at full back for the next five years.
Play dawson as a ff or chf he has played there a lot while at hawthorn in the 2s and some in the seniors.

It would leave a hole at fb but maybe its time to try walsh or simkin or someone else and develop them now not next season.

We would have a marking option up forward as dawson is a great kick and what do we have to lose a game!!!

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

MCG-unit wrote:
You only come on here to slam players - your last offering was on Riewoldt, that they would be off without him in the side...

Up until tonight Dawson had not been too bad, Cloke would beat most FB
not to mention the ball was coming into the forward line non stop - have a look at the mids first
I would rather get rid of you than him
Actually my last thread made a case for how we can win the flag in 2012, you noob.

And what your actually saying is that its the mids fault that Dawson can't hold his ground when contesting an incoming ball, that its the mids fault that Collingwood kicked it to the Cloke-Dawson duel everytime they could because they knew that Dawson is a weak link, that its the mids fault that in a one-on-one contest, Zac is pathetic.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Actually here is the (locked) thread you posted on Riewoldt - proud of this are you ?

'It pains me to say this, but I think, right now, we would be a better side without him (Riewoldt). He shoulders too much responsibility, and I think without him in the side we'd see a collective step-up.'

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... t=#1075218

Why didn't you post on Dawson last week when he played on Mayne, or after the Melb match?
Noob am I, reckon I have you covered on footy - bottom feeder

Stand your ground :shock:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Max was like Sos, an arm pulling jumper holder that was perfect in his era but may have struggled with frees against these days. Not sure if people remember Max was pretty slight and not a hulking full back. He seems to have been remodelled in memories as Mick martin.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Max was like Sos, an arm pulling jumper holder that was perfect in his era but may have struggled with frees against these days. Not sure if people remember Max was pretty slight and not a hulking full back. He seems to have been remodelled in memories as Mick martin.
That was always my concern with Maxy.

Still remember that game at the MCG where Neitz got a free everytime the ball went to the contest. Of course on many, many more ocassions Max got away with these tactics. But what was his main strength, ie playing extremely tight, was always going to be one of his potential weaknesses.

And I would have feared a few early holding frees against Max in the 09 Grand Final if he had played.

BallBanger
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:Max was like Sos, an arm pulling jumper holder that was perfect in his era but may have struggled with frees against these days. Not sure if people remember Max was pretty slight and not a hulking full back. He seems to have been remodelled in memories as Mick martin.
That was always my concern with Maxy.

Still remember that game at the MCG where Neitz got a free everytime the ball went to the contest. Of course on many, many more ocassions Max got away with these tactics. But what was his main strength, ie playing extremely tight, was always going to be one of his potential weaknesses.

And I would have feared a few early holding frees against Max in the 09 Grand Final if he had played.
You guys have to have your hand on it....Sure he had a high ratio of frees against but you will not hear the best forwards in the land coming out singing zacs praises of being one of the best/hardest players to play on..big or small

Max took the opposition player out of the game...Zac can't and misses the protection of flooding backs/blake..
Max was mostly never protected with a flooding backline and was very capable of beating his own man one on one...something zac is incapable of

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

My memory of the 09 grand final is very patchy now, but apart from kicking into Tom Hawkins which resulted in the goal that wasn't, what did Dawson do so wrong that it cost us victory? The spoil that landed on Scarlett's boot? What was he supposed to do, let Ablett take the mark?

I've previously heard a few media couch experts say something along the hindsight lines of 'Max plays, St Kilda win the grand final'. How about, Schneids, Mini and Milne kick straight, St Kilda win?

Bad management is bad management
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Still reckon a few people here are comparing Zac of 2011 with Max of 2006 in regards to a game that took place in 2009.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Still reckon a few people here are comparing Zac of 2011 with Max of 2006 in regards to a game that took place in 2009.
Good observation.

Criticism of the selection is all too St Kilda Facebook page.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:My memory of the 09 grand final is very patchy now, but apart from kicking into Tom Hawkins which resulted in the goal that wasn't, what did Dawson do so wrong that it cost us victory? The spoil that landed on Scarlett's boot? What was he supposed to do, let Ablett take the mark?

I've previously heard a few media couch experts say something along the hindsight lines of 'Max plays, St Kilda win the grand final'. How about, Schneids, Mini and Milne kick straight, St Kilda win?
What has the '09 GF got to do with now? Zac is just not competitive.

Come on you Zac lovers, who always said "how many did his opponent kick?", ask who can play there other than Zac.

Well there is an Irishman, who I think is demanding a go at the bigtime.
I didn't think he was ready for AFL yet, but we are rebuilding and we're never going to win a premiership with Zac Dawson in the team. Tommy Walsh deserves a game and he will make a great forward in the future.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:My memory of the 09 grand final is very patchy now, but apart from kicking into Tom Hawkins which resulted in the goal that wasn't, what did Dawson do so wrong that it cost us victory? The spoil that landed on Scarlett's boot? What was he supposed to do, let Ablett take the mark?

Come on you Zac lovers, who always said "how many did his opponent kick?", ask who can play there other than Zac.

I didn't think he was ready for AFL yet, but we are rebuilding and we're never going to win a premiership with Zac Dawson in the team. Tommy Walsh deserves a game and he will make a great forward in the future.
I'm not sure Dawson should stay in the side, but to say that we couldn't win a premiership with him in the team is tripe. We nearly won two with him, and he has played two good, and one poor-average Grand Final.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

I'm not sure Dawson should stay in the side, but to say that we couldn't win a premiership with him in the team is tripe. We nearly won two with him, and he has played two good, and one poor-average Grand Final.
I will guarantee you we will not win a GF with Zac in the team.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

I will guarantee you we will not win a GF with Lenny Hayes in the team, doesn't mean he can't play.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Surely that depends on who we were playing and who his opponent would be.

If we were playing Hawthorn in a GF tomorrow for example, I'd want him playing on Buddy.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: Surely that depends on who we were playing and who his opponent would be.

If we were playing Hawthorn in a GF tomorrow for example, I'd want him playing on Buddy.
Tomorrow is not in the equation, and neither is this year.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:

I never said I was a Zac lover and Ross Lyon sure has a lot more faith in him than I do, but there has been a lot of analyst of the 09 grand final recently and so much of it has been Zac v Max which I think is unfair for him considering how the smalls performed in front of the big sticks on that ill-fated day.

Bad management is bad management
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Surely that depends on who we were playing and who his opponent would be.

Tomorrow is not in the equation, and neither is this year.
The second line was simply an example.

The line above it is still relevant to your comment that "I will guarantee you we will not win a GF with Zac in the team".

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

I never said I was a Zac lover and Ross Lyon sure has a lot more faith in him than I do, but there has been a lot of analyst of the 09 grand final recently and so much of it has been Zac v Max which I think is unfair for him considering how the smalls performed in front of the big sticks on that ill-fated day.
Not having a go at you SydneySainter, just saying '09 is long gone.