Dumb coaching moves...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tess
Opposition Fan

Bernard Shakey wrote:Rebuilding!
Been going on since 1897!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Tess wrote:
Pity they didnt rebuild your brain.

Tess
Opposition Fan

plugger66 wrote:
Tess wrote:
Sorry, did I get the year wrong?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Tess wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Tess wrote:
Yes but if you got it right we would realise you werent a pies supporter. How did your brother taste last night?

Tess
Opposition Fan

plugger66 wrote:
Tess wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Tess wrote:
Yes but if you got it right we would realise you werent a pies supporter. How did your brother taste last night?
My brother died in 1981!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Too defensive- no idea of offensive strategies. The young guys did well, but as with all young players, they fade a bit. The big problem? -this is what it is..We have played the whole season without a CHF or a FF. Roo is playing like a GOP, and that leaves the smalls to try and manufacture the goals. RL nees to get on his bike and start developing a big FF, though not Siposs who is a half forward of the future. Stanley probably needs to be slotted in at FF and developed in that role.

Ajantis
Club Player

Clearly lyon is a pinhead !

In the first half, jones was covering daisy well, and after halftime, he replaces jones with dempster omfg.... you idiot lyon. Did jones need a rest after halftime break ? Was dempster good enough to cover daisy ? NO FFS.

Get ya video out lyon and have alook at your stupid decisions, clearly montagna should have been subbed asap, as he wont play next week or the week after.

Moving gilbert late the last quarter did "F" all. How about making them decisons when the game is in the balance.

I thought grant thomas was stupid but you just took a page out of his stupid book aswell lyon.

Malthouse just laughs at you lyon, he has you covered from top to bottom.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote:Clearly lyon is a pinhead !

In the first half, jones was covering daisy well, and after halftime, he replaces jones with dempster omfg.... you idiot lyon. Did jones need a rest after halftime break ? Was dempster good enough to cover daisy ? NO FFS.

Get ya video out lyon and have alook at your stupid decisions, clearly montagna should have been subbed asap, as he wont play next week or the week after. 

Moving gilbert late the last quarter did "F" all. How about making them decisons when the game is in the balance. 

I thought grant thomas was stupid but you just took a page out of his stupid book aswell lyon.

Hmmm, 7 posts in 3 years. 

Sorry I missed the other 6; were they all as good as this one? :roll:

Ajantis
Club Player

Keep on thinking we will get better !

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dumb coaching moves...

Teflon wrote:Im a fan of Lyon but I was bemused about some decisions out of the box tonight.

Why when Montagna is clearly on 1 leg do we remove a tallish defender in Simpkin (who I felt gained in confidence as the match wore on), replace him with Ledger? Why not Montagna for Ledger?

Why take so long to throw a Gilbert or anyone fwd when we had no other fwd option? - Why not even get him into the middle for a run cause frk knows we couldnt buy a clearance?

I didnt expect to win tonight but after 2 qtrs of effort I am bitterly dissapointed to go down by 10 goals.

Clearances are a massive problem and lets be real Pies continued to rack up fwd 50 entries while we scratched, struggled and sure enough weight of numbers wins out.

Pressure was there for a half and we just fell away - dissapointing. Our fwd 50 is shambolic.....its not Kosi we need...its a Daws. We need a monster, who can stand his ground and take a contested grab while allowing Roo to lead and Sippos to get a 3rd defender.

We are 10 goals off the pace.

Gonna be some pain for some time before we are a real challenger again.
i agree. he left schneider fwd despite 4 quarters of not touching it.
he refused to put gilbo fwd and left sipo down there one out like a lamb to slaughter. Lyons natural response to us being under pressure is to try and hold the dam wall up and just increase defence. this no longer works. talk about slow learner. you need to counter punch by putting pressure back on the opposition.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote:Keep on thinking we will get better !
Well cleary by identifying Lyon as a pinhead you have demonstrated you have a far more realistic view of our prospects.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

some strange moves by lyon. my take is that at halftime he had conceded and decided to try out a few ideas.
against this is why he left joey on?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The selection of the two Toms for this game clearly flagged that we are definitely in rebuilding mode.

As such the objectives are a bit different.

Simpkin acquitted himself well , though was a bit undersized for the role he was in. Nervous start, but was then good. Showed enough to suggest that he could be an AFL player.

Ledger did very well fora first up effort. Reinforced his good efforts in the NAB and definitely stamped that he has a future.

Steven was given more responsibility in the second half and did quite well...but often rushed his disposal making it ineffective. At less than twenty senior games that is not that surprising.

Armo is still hard at it..and while his numbers were down, his stats were similar to Balls. You get the feeling with Armo that he needs to be a supporting cast member, rather than a main man. Last night may have been about teaching him to play a more rounded game

Siposs had a hard role...but he did well to keep Maxwell out of the action for much of the game...and Siposs will have learnt a lot from the bodywork that Maxwell applied to him.

While I have no issue in Simpkin being played, it would have been interesting to see how the other Tom in Walsh would have gone against the big Pie forwards.

Sifting of our senior players will also be underway. Who will fall by the wayside...who will be tried in new roles etc...

The BIG question for the Saints at present is whether Lyon can refresh and rebuild the list quick enough that we can have a one year blip, rather than sustained fall from grace. Can we get the new blood up to speed quick enough to still benefit from BJ, Dal, Roo, Sam, Joey, Schneider all being in their peak years with Lenny and Milne in their twilight years.,

PS: Roo is sadly out of form...and Ray unfortunately since returning to the side has had poor disposal and is also not the player he can be.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 05 Jun 2011 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lefty
Club Player

When we play Collingwood, I seriously think you need to play a tag on that fat keg Shaw in the backline, tears us up all the time.

Secondly, Roo is playing far to high up the ground, and we have no other big targets, so instead of kicking the ball up from the back flank to the wing/forward flank, we need to run past the center square and then deliver into the forward line.

Still loosing the center clearances/contested possessions.

I don't blame the forwards line players like Sippos or Schneider because the ball is not going down there enough nor enough opportunities.

Ross has to tweak the defensive gameplan and try have an even contest in our forward half rather than having no one and being outnumbered all the time.

I also noticed last night we didn't play on like we did against Freo, was just different.

saint tash
Club Player

lefty wrote:When we play Collingwood, I seriously think you need to play a tag on that fat keg Shaw in the backline, tears us up all the time.

Secondly, Roo is playing far to high up the ground, and we have no other big targets, so instead of kicking the ball up from the back flank to the wing/forward flank, we need to run past the center square and then deliver into the forward line.

Still loosing the center clearances/contested possessions.

I don't blame the forwards line players like Sippos or Schneider because the ball is not going down there enough nor enough opportunities.

Ross has to tweak the defensive gameplan and try have an even contest in our forward half rather than having no one and being outnumbered all the time.

I also noticed last night we didn't play on like we did against Freo, was just different.
Unfortunately the two "fat kegs" tore us a new one.

Shaw and Swan.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

He seems to be making strange comments in the media of late. He just seems so in awe of other teams, I reckon he has lost that unstoppable belief that we just wont lose. Maybe he is trying to put pressure off our players, but it just seems he doesn't think we are good enough.

Why he didn't sub Joey is beyond me. Simpkin struggled early, but clearly got better as the game went on, seemed a really strange decision - well, seemed like a planned decision which could have changed. Ledger didn't look out of it at that level, should have played 3 quarters though.

Its been said, but pulling the taggers off Swan and Thomas didn't make sense. I've said it earlier, but 6 touches in 7 minutes on Dempster got Thomas kickstarted after Jones had his measure early on. His defeatist attitude is reflected by his comments in the media today.

Maybe Lyon has these blokes in his Dream Team side and when the game was lost, he just wanted them to bulk up their score?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What moves did you want him to make, just curious?

It was similar to the Hawks game, we were actually getting smacked in clearances and inside 50's in the first half, and it was just a matter of time until the flood gates opened.

However we backed in the new tendency to play on, in fact Saints played on 45% of the time to Collingwoods 29%

We wanted to see how this measured up against the Pies, and there is still lots of work to be done.

Saw a few guys maybe aren't up to it, persisted with guys in new positions that may help in the future.

Went in with one 21 year old ruck, two debutants, another few kids with under 50 games.

It is what it is.

BTW, I think Simpkin was either sore or stuffed personally.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What moves did you want him to make, just curious?

It was similar to the Hawks game, we were actually getting smacked in clearances and inside 50's in the first half, and it was just a matter of time until the flood gates opened.

However we backed in the new tendency to play on, in fact Saints played on 45% of the time to Collingwoods 29%

We wanted to see how this measured up against the Pies, and there is still lots of work to be done.

Saw a few guys maybe aren't up to it, persisted with guys in new positions that may help in the future.

Went in with one 21 year old ruck, two debutants, another few kids with under 50 games.

It is what it is.

BTW, I think Simpkin was either sore or stuffed personally.
What does that last line mean?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He looked to be wincing, perhaps sore, completely spent...or he just pulls those facial expressions....I watched on TV though, and I did say IMO

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If we wanted to actually win it, how about Dal Santo or Goddard into the middle? Or someone else into the forward line, to help Roo out (like Gilbert, who took two marks in two minutes when moved there at the start of the last, or Fisher)?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

If we wanted to actually win it, how about Dal Santo or Goddard into the middle? Or someone else into the forward line, to help Roo out (like Gilbert, who took two marks in two minutes when moved there at the start of the last, or Fisher)?
Unlike you, I don't think we looked like we had a chance to win it.

We may of been within a couple of goals at the half, but I think they were already ahead about 20 inside 50's already at that point.

We held back the flood gates as much as was humanly possible given the cirumstances.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

We may of been within a couple of goals at the half, but I think they were already ahead about 20 inside 50's already at that point.

We held back the flood gates as much as was humanly possible given the cirumstances.
Yeah, and clearly Ross saw it the same way:

"Lyon said after the game that he had opted to release the tags he had put on both Thomas and Dane Swan as he felt the match had started to slip from the Saints' grasp."

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-disp ... ics-125195

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Yeah, and clearly Ross saw it the same way:

"Lyon said after the game that he had opted to release the tags he had put on both Thomas and Dane Swan as he felt the match had started to slip from the Saints' grasp."

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-disp ... ics-125195
But this is what I fond odd.

Why then bother doing it for 2 qtrs?

AND

IF you recognise that the clearances/fwd 50 entries are where we are losing the game - then how does releasing their best 2 mids who we had kep quiet improve our situation? - Jones/Dempster are never going to be your attacking options to fight your way back into a game?

IF you want to win and imporve attacking option surely more needed to be done to get players like Dal Santo fwd of the centre? or even in the guts? maybe Fisher up fwd? Gilbert in the middle?.....I mean we needed to improve 2 critical things to go on the "attack"

1. Improve clearance options
2. Find another fwd target..

So our response togo attacking is to release Thomas/Swan tags and hope the "attack" will come from Dempster/Jones?????????????????

Could it be that Ross just wasnt sure how to attack??

Weird.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How do you just suddenly win clearances though Tef?

We haven't really all year.

Our mids rarely get first use of the ball, or any hits to advantage.

Putting Dal, BJ etc in there hasn't really made an impact prior to this week, our centre bounce clearances have been poor.

Steven appears the only one who roves well to any ruckman.

1. Isn't going to happen unless perhaps Gardi makes an amazing against the odds return and soon.

2. You can have the best forward structure in the world, but until you fix number 1, from memory it was 60 - 38 last night.
Last edited by SainterK on Sun 05 Jun 2011 10:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Ajantis wrote:

What are you doing on these boards ?

If you watched the match, or replays...... Jones was being attended by medical staff - maybe unable to come back on for a while, possibly due to Thomas wacking him in the face behind play :roll:

Stand your ground :shock: