max engineered riewoldt's downfall: herald sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
kalsaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Max could of done a Presti.
Why would he have done that? He was right to go.

Presti was crocked.
How many injuries did Max get during the year, quite a few.
He also had an extremely close checking style that on any particular day could have been viewed poorly by the umps and cost us dearly.

Quite a few risks with Max unfortunately.
Zac doesnt give away frees??!!! He does some silly things at times that cost goals.
Don't confuse Zac 2011 with Zac 2009, because the latter is the only Zac relevant to this thread.
Personally I can't see a lot of difference between the two Zacs. He's always looked far, far less secure one-on-one with big, strong opponents than Max. In 2009 we were better stopping opposition attacks up the ground; in 2011 we are getting smashed in clearances and they are coming at Zac in waves and he's looking like the FAQ player that he is.

The idea that Zac deserved his spot over Max in the 2009 GF is laughable. Obviously, none of us can know the exact state of Max's fitness. At the time, Lyon didn't say Max was unfit, he said that Zac better fitted into his gameplan because he was "more mobile".

Anyway, Max is retired and now we have Zac permanently. And nobody on this forum seems to be too excited about that fact ATM.....
Your posts are usually well thought out, regardless of whether I agree with them. Why make a ridiculous rash statement like that? Zac had played the whole year and virtually every time Zac played w/o Max in the team we looked great. When Max played in 2009 our team didn't function nearly as well. To say that leaving Max out for Zac is laughable is well..... confusing to be kind. :?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the compliment, but I must confess to finding your post confusing as well.

We only lost 3 matches in 2009. Max played in one and Zac played in all three, plus the PF which - IMO - we should have lost. We looked extremely good in just about every game that season, regardless of who was at fullback.

Max was a thoroughbred and Zac is at best a reasonable sort of nedder. If both are fit, you always should pick the thoroughbred over the nedder. End of story. But Ross's head at the time was filled with thoughts of his game plan, need for mobility, yadayadayada. Zac fitted that mode of thinking more than Max.

In the end it didn't make any real difference: we didn't lose the GF down the back. But not selecting Max if he was genuinely fit (and no-one except the club and Max himself really know) was unjust and wrong IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Thanks for the compliment, but I must confess to finding your post confusing as well.

We only lost 3 matches in 2009. Max played in one and Zac played in all three, plus the PF which - IMO - we should have lost. We looked extremely good in just about every game that season, regardless of who was at fullback.

Max was a thoroughbred and Zac is at best a reasonable sort of nedder. If both are fit, you always should pick the thoroughbred over the nedder. End of story. But Ross's head at the time was filled with thoughts of his game plan, need for mobility, yadayadayada. Zac fitted that mode of thinking more than Max.

In the end it didn't make any real difference: we didn't lose the GF down the back. But not selecting Max if he was genuinely fit (and no-one except the club and Max himself really know) was unjust and wrong IMO.
All relative imo. Yes we were winning games, but the backline didn't look anything as settled as it did when only Zac played. Maybe two of them couldn't play in the one team. I certainly don't reckon it was an open and shut case that if Max was fit he plays. Max was a thoroughbred in terms of his negating/spoiling ability. His ball use was competent at best, and he would handpass every chance he could get. Was he at that level in 09 though? I don't reckon.

Look I don't agree about the fwd line losing us the game either. If Max could have spoilt Mooney twice and the cats relied purely on their smalls to score goals we would have won regardless of what our fwds did. Zac was also responsible for the Hawkins goal/non goal as well. Your original post implies that Max had been in great form all year, and was suddenly left out for the GF giving a dud a chance ahead of him. Just reckoned that it was nothing like that.

lefty
Club Player

Dw, Maxxy will be back with us next year and we'll have all the Collingwood secrets....

Just like Harvs, they just need to learn other clubs trades/secrets/know-hows and we'll get Collingwood back in terms of the Ball trade, and taking Max.

What goes around comes round :)

In terms of not selecting Max over Zac in the 2009 GF, I would of selected Max any day of the week, and Zac was in hospital on a drip the night before (like wtf?).