max engineered riewoldt's downfall: herald sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:who really cares. brown isnt playing this weekend is he?

the story that should be written is "do drug testers go to arizona?"
might be something in that too....
Last edited by stinger on Sat 04 Jun 2011 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Max being left out of the team, when fit, towards the end of 2009, was an overly tough call that shouldn't have been made. There was a touch of "pride comes before a fall" around the club as we won game after game in 2009. The way Ball was treated in the second half of 2009 was part of it too.

When you are facing your toughest challenges you want your toughest, most experienced players in thr engine room. Lyon decided he could do without Max and almost without Luke. We scraped through the PF (should have lost) and came unstuck at the business end of the GF.

Lyon fully learnt his lesson and a barely-fit Baker was brought back for the big games in 2010. And did his job and, more importantly, gave confidence to those around him.

All IMO, of course.
Couple of things counted against Max in 2009 that you should consider.

1. Did his hamstring earlier in the season and was an injury risk.

2. Zac's form. He had a great season, barely putting a foot wrong. There was no spot for Max at full back and he didn't provide enough run to play elsewhere at that stage of his career.

Very tough call for a club legend like Max, but correct.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:P.S. what a Johnny Come Lately article that Feral Scum article is.

I mean, weren't we discussing this like 8 months ago?

Jeez Louise! What a prfound football think-tank they have at that paper :roll:
the big story would be if he refused to help in that area ffs.....crap story...
Last edited by stinger on Sat 04 Jun 2011 11:12am, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Max being left out of the team, when fit, towards the end of 2009, was an overly tough call that shouldn't have been made. There was a touch of "pride comes before a fall" around the club as we won game after game in 2009. The way Ball was treated in the second half of 2009 was part of it too.

When you are facing your toughest challenges you want your toughest, most experienced players in thr engine room. Lyon decided he could do without Max and almost without Luke. We scraped through the PF (should have lost) and came unstuck at the business end of the GF.

Lyon fully learnt his lesson and a barely-fit Baker was brought back for the big games in 2010. And did his job and, more importantly, gave confidence to those around him.

All IMO, of course.

well said

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:What a load of crap Inker. So b/c Harve's went to the blues when they weren't challenging and returned to the saints this year he's suddenly hailed as a hero returned? Or did he return b/c maybe, just maybe, Harve's isn't a great coach and no-one else would have him?
You won't find me on record as having an opinion on Harves because I haven't got one. He's a favourite son but I have no idea on his merits as an assistant coach and nor would anyone else on this forum.

Except to say: I have no doubts at all about the professionalism of the football department at our club, and if they believe he adds value I trust them implicitly until led to believe otherwise.
I heard Max speak the day after the GF, and I thought he showed tremendous character. Why would ANYONE refuse to go to a club just in case they played your former club in a GF? How many expected the pies to be our #1 challenger in 2010?
Okay, fair point. I retract my comment about his motivations. I don't claim to know them.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i wouldve played him
he was fit enough

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
defacto wrote:who really cares. brown isnt playing this weekend is he?

the story that should be written is "do drug testers go to arizona?"
might be something in that too....
Knowledge of football equals knowledge of the law. Nil. If only your knowledge of footy equalled your knowledge of cleaning and being old.

defacto
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:1 min 37 sec in:

bingo. i am amazed how people can forget max's form in 2009. all they relate to now is "we lost grand final, max was dropped, max was an amazing player in his day, therefore we shouldnt have dropped max and would have been a 1-2 goal better team".

the reality is in 2009, dawson was twice the player max was. the footage is just one snippet that sums up his season. when we played dawson and max, our backline looked disfunctional. also geelongs fwd line wasnt stacked with genuine fwds and had midfielders going fwd.

dawson + max would have been a disaster. max over dawson just wasnt warranted on form.

time to move on it was almost 2 years ago.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes
how dare anyone comment from the GF two years ago and if max shouldve played
and if you mention 97 decapitation shall follow

8-)

Finna
Club Player

matrix wrote:i wouldve played him
he was fit enough
Who would you have replaced with him?

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ummmm

maybe the other full back
the one that was on a drip and crook as f*** right up to the morn of the GF

max was raring to go
you could see he was
if he was not confident in his body im sure one of the greatest team players to ever pull on a STKFC jumper wouldve said something.

2cents

forget it
it was two years ago :twisted: :twisted:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Max wouldn't have made any difference in 09- the forward line didn't do the job.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

bingo. i am amazed how people can forget max's form in 2009. all they relate to now is "we lost grand final, max was dropped, max was an amazing player in his day, therefore we shouldnt have dropped max and would have been a 1-2 goal better team".

the reality is in 2009, dawson was twice the player max was. the footage is just one snippet that sums up his season. when we played dawson and max, our backline looked disfunctional. also geelongs fwd line wasnt stacked with genuine fwds and had midfielders going fwd.

dawson + max would have been a disaster. max over dawson just wasnt
warranted on form.

Dawson is a FAQ player at best who doesn't seem to have a lot of fans on here ATM. He's ok, but hardly the sort of player who's ever going to "demand" selection in a senior AFL side.

Zac's form in 2009 was marginally better than Max's at the very most. In the second half of 2009 Ross was obsessed with his chessboard approach to coaching, rabbitting on about mobility, filling space, etc. Max and Ball didn't have enough mobility for Ross.

Alas, they were both "mobile" enough to run off to the Pies and conspire in our 2010 defeat.

There's nobody deserving of blame for any of this: it's just the way the cookie crumbles. But I'm still sad for Max that he didn't play in the 2009 GF and it maybe, just maybe, could have been better for the club too.
Last edited by meher baba on Sat 04 Jun 2011 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I'm quite sure Steven King told us a fair bit about his team mates and how to beat them when he came across to the Saints.

And I'm quite sure that even if we had beaten the Cats in 2009, armed with this information, the big guy would be welcome back at Kardinia Park anytime he wanted to go back.

These things happen.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I wonder who made the final decision on Presti not playing in GF2?

Presti?
Malthouse?
Max?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I wonder who made the final decision on Presti not playing in GF2?

Presti?
Malthouse?
Max?
Eddie? :)

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Remind me how many quarters Max played against Richmond in 09?

How was his performance against Essendon?

Some revisionist claptrap being spouted in here.

As for "just doing his job", I reckon there are plenty of places where he could have been involved. His choice of employer, timing and nature of his role smack of a personal vendetta.

What he chose to do was a dog act. At least this article puts to bed the fanciful notion that Max is still a "Saints man".
+1

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
defacto
Club Player

Seaford_Saint wrote:

As for "just doing his job", I reckon there are plenty of places where he could have been involved. His choice of employer, timing and nature of his role smack of a personal vendetta.

What he chose to do was a dog act. At least this article puts to bed the fanciful notion that Max is still a "Saints man".
+1
+2

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

vendetta ??? are you mad?? the bloke is just doing his job ... would you expect the Scott boys to tell their team to go easy on Brisbane ??

seriously get a friggin clue .... max did everything that was aked of him as a st kilda player once he is no longer a saints player he can do what he likes

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

vendetta ??? are you mad?? the bloke is just doing his job ... would you expect the Scott boys to tell their team to go easy on Brisbane ??

seriously get a friggin clue .... max did everything that was aked of him as a st kilda player once he is no longer a saints player he can do what he likes
Well personally I blame Shane Wakelin for this whole mess!

He had no right to go to Collingwood once we delisted him. Where's the bloody loyalty? :shock:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Well personally I blame Shane Wakelin for this whole mess!

He had no right to go to Collingwood once we delisted him. Where's the bloody loyalty? :shock:
:wink: i like the part "his choice of employer" ... i dont remember any other club publicly chasing Max as an assistant ... do you ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

dawson + max would have been a disaster. max over dawson just wasnt warranted on form.

Yep, agree. And as for him advising other clubs, good luck to him. It's one thing to tell a player how to beat someone, but it is the player who must be good enough to do it. Nick just needs to make a slight adjustment to avoid being prematurely moved off the ball, although it is easier said than done for any forward who doesn't rely on bulk and bullocking strength (Like Jon Brown).

Megsie
Club Player

Max should be aware of "KARMA" !!

revenge is soul destroying.

Message to Max " did your info give you satisfaction? "

noreason41
Club Player

Great defender, wasn't great going forward though.

BallBanger
Club Player

All I see in this clip is how far Zac gives his man....what did max do wrong other than running his butt off and not getting a free.