Jack Steven - R10 Rising Star!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Was this really a necessary inclusion by Matt Windley in today's Herald Sun - no blood way. :evil: :evil:

"Today's announcement comes only five months since Steven, along with three teammates, was suspended for six weeks and fined after breaking team rules involving alcohol, prescription medicine and leaving the team hotel during a pre-season training camp in New Zealand."

A great effort by a young Saints guy should have been reported for what it was, not sabotaged at the back-end by a "cheap shot." :evil: :evil:
I commented on this … AKA 'rats tossbag'
appalling…

Middo
Club Player

The last two weeks have shown everybody that Jack has a few strings to his bow as he has been winning clearances , tackling , breaking away from packs with good speed which has been questioned and also been able to finish with a goal. It's this type of play that everybody has been waiting to see and I hope he builds on this as reward for his nomination !!! Great to see someone take the chance when it's given !!!! :) Ps good to see him racking up possies !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Was this really a necessary inclusion by Matt Windley in today's Herald Sun - no blood way. :evil: :evil:

"Today's announcement comes only five months since Steven, along with three teammates, was suspended for six weeks and fined after breaking team rules involving alcohol, prescription medicine and leaving the team hotel during a pre-season training camp in New Zealand."

A great effort by a young Saints guy should have been reported for what it was, not sabotaged at the back-end by a "cheap shot." :evil: :evil:
appalling…
No it is relevant. If Jack didn't want it reported he shouldn't have done it.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's part of what makes this such good news.

He has overcome a few hurdles, and is being rewarded for his hard work.

He stuffed up, no denying that...more importantly though, he turned it around.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
dragit wrote:

appalling…
Agree.

And it could be seen as a positive, showing how hard Jack has worked, and how far he has come, from that unsavoury incident :wink:

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
dragit wrote:

appalling…
Agree.

And it could be seen as a positive, showing how hard Jack has worked, and how far he has come, from that unsavoury incident :wink:
Now if only Rhys Stanley can extract a didig and bounce back the same way Jack has, because on the surface, he has gone backwards since then.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
dragit wrote:

appalling…
You think when Didak plays a blinder then does a shimmy dance, they say
"2 years after driving round Melbourne with a Shot-gun wielding murderer bikie-maniac, he has played a ripper today…"
Our first bit of positive media for awhile has to be dragged through the mud. This doesn't happen to everyone.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:
dragit wrote:

appalling…
Exactly.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

This isn't Ben Cousins we're talking about…
It was a relatively minor indiscretion five months ago,
"Micheal Voss finally had a win this week as head coach, which is a relief after all the bar brawls he has been in court for in the past…"

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

You're being ridiculous. You're comparing things that happened years ago to something that happened to Jack just a few months ago.
I dare say they would have mentioned what happened to Didak for a while afterwards, but then again, he had a high profile, so most would have been already aware of it and hence there would have been less need to keep mentioning it.
Jack doesn't have a high profile, though, so it is not unreasonable to remind those who had forgotten (which includes me, I'd forgotten he was one of those), or inform those who weren't aware of it, that he was one of those suspended. They are a NEWSpaper, remember, not the publicity department of the St K FC.
If you have a major problem with it, I dare say you'll get more out of it if you take it up with them, rather than just bitching about it on here.
And it doesn't have to be taken "negatively". You could also take it as a positive, in that someone was in trouble a few months ago, but has gotten himself back on track and achieved something significant.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 31 May 2011 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:You're being ridiculous. You're comparing things that happened years ago to something that happened to Jack just a few months ago.
I dare say they would have mentioned what happened to Didak for a while afterwards, but then again, he had a high profile, so most would have been already aware of it and hence there would have been less need to keep mentioning it.
Jack doesn't have a high profile, though, so it is not unreasonable to remind those who had forgotten (which includes me, I'd forgotten he was one of those), or those who weren't aware that he was one of those suspended. They are a NEWSpaper, remember, not the publicity department of the St K FC.
And it doesn't have to be taken "negatively". You could also take it as a positive, in that someone was in trouble a few months ago but has gotten himself back on track and achieved something significant.
remind me again the time period when an indiscretion becomes irrelevant, I don't have that hand book?
5 months - ok
2 years - being ridiculous
How about Beams/McCarthy - 7 months?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'd rather not. There's some grass out the front I'd rather go and watch grow than continue having this discussion with you.
Like I just added to my previous post, if you have a major problem with it and it's keeping you up at night and stuff, I suggest you take it up with the newspaper in question, if you really want to get somewhere on the topic.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I'd rather not. There's some grass out the front I'd rather go and watch grow than continue having this discussion with you.
Like I just added to my previous post, if you have a major problem with it and it's keeping you up at night and stuff, I suggest you take it up with the newspaper in question, if you really want to get somewhere on the topic.
I'm not having this conversation - oops I'm typing…
I thought it was unnecessary, I commented, other people disagreed… no problems
Pretty sure I'll sleep ok

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:You're being ridiculous. You're comparing things that happened years ago to something that happened to Jack just a few months ago.
Jack doesn't have a high profile, though, so it is not unreasonable to remind those who had forgotten (which includes me, I'd forgotten he was one of those), or those who weren't aware that he was one of those suspended. They are a NEWSpaper, remember, not the publicity department of the St K FC.
And it doesn't have to be taken "negatively". You could also take it as a positive, in that someone was in trouble a few months ago but has gotten himself back on track and achieved something significant.
remind me again the time period when an indiscretion becomes irrelevant, I don't have that hand book?
5 months - ok
Beams and McCarthy were cleared. They don't say one-time rape suspect Leigh Montagna

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dragit
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
dragit wrote:
5 months - ok
Beams and McCarthy were cleared. They don't say one-time rape suspect Leigh Montagna
They do milne…

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
dragit wrote:
5 months - ok
They do milne…
That's mainly opposition supporters. And it only stepped up in the wake of last June's 9 news expose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think Jack could end up an ok player but he is very slow.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think Jack could end up an ok player but he is very slow.
:wink:

savatage
SS Life Member

Definitely.

I mean apart from the fact that he's dreadfully slow, can't kick, struggles to find the footy & has groin problems (elephantitis) which prevents him from kicking more than 15-20 metres - he may be OK in the finish.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Seems very Swanlike to me.

Odd gait, but very effective.

Quite a lot of ball in midfield.

Goes forward and kicks goals.

Good disposal but not fantastic.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

goddardisgod wrote:Seems very Swanlike to me.

Agreed... His pace seems to have improved in the past fortnight as he has learnt more about footy at the top level, and been involved more...

No coincidence there.... Sure, he isn't lightening, but he has enough strings to his bow to make it as a top liner...

Learning when and where to run...

Quick by mind and hand makes up for foot speed issues...

Play him on Swan this week...

Well done on the nomination Stevo... :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
goddardisgod wrote:Seems very Swanlike to me.

Agreed... His pace seems to have improved in the past fortnight as he has learnt more about footy at the top level, and been involved more...

No coincidence there.... Sure, he isn't lightening, but he has enough strings to his bow to make it as a top liner...

Learning when and where to run...

Quick by mind and hand makes up for foot speed issues...

Play him on Swan this week...

Well done on the nomination Stevo... :D
This is where some posts confuse me. His pace has improved in the last fortnight. Do you really think that? As you said he is learning where to run and when. His pace is the same as when he played in the seconds in round one. He has always had good pace as mentioned by RL yesterday. I hope he doesnt have a couple of bad ones in a row. He will be really slow then.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I want to see a copy of your Fishing Licence :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

whoa there..i wouldn't go that far......insufficient evidence to charge maybe......from a police force over anxious to have a 100% clear up record for reported offences.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

It is fun imagining what kind of person Plugger 66 is, I imagine him as a lonely stamp collecting type, conservative values and a contrary nature. Maybe in his 50s liberal voter with a dull job and limited social skills? I hope I never meet him because when he lets down my idea of what type of person he is I may never be able to feel a smug resentment toward him. What's your opinion of the carbon tax Plugger? Just that I see Tony Abbott and Aker in there, are you a shock jock? Are you Kyle Sandilands?