the kids

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:ITS STEVEN!
It is but even the coach called him Stevens in the press conference.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
saintjake wrote:ITS STEVEN!
It is but even the coach called him Stevens in the press conference.
Yes I've given up on the cause now ever since Ross has gone the missing S.

Maybe it's a silent S :wink:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
gringo wrote: who haven't even hit the mandatory 50 games to see wether they are going to be good.
I haven't hit this mark either... Does this mean I am still potentially good enough at AFL level, just haven't been given a go??

Sometimes you can tell in a game or 2 if someone isnt up to it...

Sweeny, Howard, Heyne, have all shower in recent seasons only after a game or 2 that they will never be AFL footballers... It doesn't take 50 games...

It took Ross Lyon 20 odd to see what many could see after 4-5 games with Eddy... He will never reach the level required...

Alternatively, Sippos, Cripps and even Lynch just this week showed they will be good in just a handful of games...

Its the ones with obvious talent early on, but consistency problems, that need 50 odd matches to hit their straps... Gwilt and Gilbo prime examples...
I agree. Been saying all along the same thing. These kids don't have to be featuring in our best players each week, even at all. They don't have to be getting great numbers, but they do have to show something. For mine Lynch was incredibly disappointing last year for a first round draft pick. I reckon RL thought the same thing and he has been given a year to work on his game - his next game was far far better. Showed much better composure and lot's more grunt. Let's hope he's ok to play again this weekend.

Remember the average amount of games of each player on a list is about 12 or something ridiculous and they last on a list about 3-4 years on average. Does every player have to be given 50 games to have a call made on them? BJ for all his indecisiveness and mistake prone ways early on, had the body and skills of a footbller. Just needed a bit of reprogramming. Big Macca is 22 years old. I think he needs another year or two to build up and get more confidence, but another 6 years? :shock: So he won't play decent footy until he's 28? That's one hell of an investment.

Armo imo, contrary to what many on here think has been given a fair go under the circumstances of how we have been tracking in the last few years. He's doing much better and playing more consistently - I'm tipping he's working far harder on the track than he was 3-4 years ago too. Sometimes it takes a few years for the penny to drop for some guys re what it takes to be an AFL footballer. I see him Armo in the Stephen Powell mould. Will never be a superstar, but will be a very valuable player to our club in years to come.

Cripps, Winmar, Heyne, not sold on at all yet. Siposs I think will make it. Not all these blokes are going to go on to be future 100 gamer's for our club, a good proportion will fall by the wayside, and I hope we don't have to play them for 50+ games to find out.
however it pans out with those players mentioned i hope the club dumps this obsession it has with delisting GOPs , then selecting them as rookies in the rookie draft and then if they've really lost the plot...re-drafting them....

If these players are not up to it....get rid of em....completely....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
gringo wrote: who haven't even hit the mandatory 50 games to see wether they are going to be good.
I haven't hit this mark either... Does this mean I am still potentially good enough at AFL level, just haven't been given a go??

Sometimes you can tell in a game or 2 if someone isnt up to it...

Sweeny, Howard, Heyne, have all shower in recent seasons only after a game or 2 that they will never be AFL footballers... It doesn't take 50 games...

It took Ross Lyon 20 odd to see what many could see after 4-5 games with Eddy... He will never reach the level required...

Alternatively, Sippos, Cripps and even Lynch just this week showed they will be good in just a handful of games...

Its the ones with obvious talent early on, but consistency problems, that need 50 odd matches to hit their straps... Gwilt and Gilbo prime examples...
Yep

good thing we made that call on Michael Barlow when he was training with us

players never can improve if they don't show inklings right away

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Seems odd to me that so many have gone off McEvoy.

With the exception of the couple of games before he was dropped, I thought he's played really well. His tapwork is the part that's going to take years, but I'm pretty comfortable that if Zac Smith and Matty Leuenberger are headed for Cox & Sandie territory (i.e. freaks), McEvoy will make it as a McIntosh. Not quite on a level with the 2 best, but most teams would love to have.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Seems odd to me that so many have gone off McEvoy.

With the exception of the couple of games before he was dropped, I thought he's played really well. His tapwork is the part that's going to take years, but I'm pretty comfortable that if Zac Smith and Matty Leuenberger are headed for Cox & Sandie territory (i.e. freaks), McEvoy will make it as a McIntosh. Not quite on a level with the 2 best, but most teams would love to have.
Well it looks like there are 4 options:

1. Stick with Ben, who will continue to improve.  

2. Draft another young prospective ruckman and start the whole process again.

3. Trade for, or draft, a ruckman who is unable to get a game at his current club because others are better.

4. Trade for a genuine top line ruckman, and in doing so, probably sell your soul.

Given those options I'm more than happy to stick with #1. I don't think we should be trading any of our "stars" and I don't believe our first pick should be traded for, or be used on, a ruckman.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gee after a few games of nab and one senior game last year people got on here bemoaning us picking Lynch because he wasn't up to it. Some guys like Howard really didn't get many chances to show what they had. Who knows if someones motivation may have got given a boost with a few more senior games. Unfortunately some players never get to show how good they are. Sometimes footy spits you out before you get going. Look at that guy we got from Brissie, can't think of his name? Was a great tagger for a season, did a knee and got delisted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

3. Trade for, or draft, a ruckman who is unable to get a game at his current club because others are better.

4. Trade for a genuine top line ruckman, and in doing so, probably sell your soul.

Given those options I'm more than happy to stick with #1. I don't think we should be trading any of our "stars" and I don't believe our first pick should be traded for, or be used on, a ruckman.

Mine as well which makes your opinion stupid.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Mine as well which makes your opinion stupid.
Always good to have it confirmed :D

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I am inclined to keep our high picks and trade for a number three ruck at another club or VFL ruckman as a solid back up. Macevoy is very good around the ground but isn't there yet with the tap work. Having a Will Minson or similar bashing into the centre square takes the pressure to hold the fort off Mac and lets him develop at his pace. I see Bigmac as a Cox like player eventually, handy athletic big man that rucks as well.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Well it looks like there are 4 options:

I agree.

All I would add is that IMO we're still a ruckman short on our list... maybe even 2 with Gardi's impending retirement

Currently ruck options are:
McEvoy
Kosi
Stanley
Blake

Gardi injured

Really Kosi and Blake shouldn't be included on that list.

I think we're def a draftee short and possibly a developing ruckman to compete with McEvoy and Stanley too. (Pattison anyone?)