dean polo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:Upgrade on Mqualter.

Liked his effort -keeps that up, keeps getting a game.

Would also like to seehimup the clearance/tackles.
Like this post.

He is the "perfect" Lyon player. He loves having one or two of these in the team. Attard then McQualter. Polo fits the bill and has done the job.

If he can get a few clearances and hard ball gets, I think he will find a spot in the team.

He had an interruped pre season and is playing a different style of game to the Tigers which always takes a while. Hard to make an impact first up, so i hope to see improvement over the coming weeks.

I liked his intercept and goal that put us back infront in the third qtr. I also like the reaction of his new team mates which i thought very encouraging.
Yeah at the time I really liked the enthusiastic response from his team mates after the goal. Interestingly I have since read that RL and the team had spoken about poor body language and that they should show more enthusiasm especially after a team mate has kicked a goal. Who doesn't love a goal.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:Upgrade on Mqualter.

Liked his effort -keeps that up, keeps getting a game.

Would also like to seehimup the clearance/tackles.
Like this post.

He is the "perfect" Lyon player. He loves having one or two of these in the team. Attard then McQualter. Polo fits the bill and has done the job.

If he can get a few clearances and hard ball gets, I think he will find a spot in the team.

He had an interruped pre season and is playing a different style of game to the Tigers which always takes a while. Hard to make an impact first up, so i hope to see improvement over the coming weeks.

I liked his intercept and goal that put us back infront in the third qtr. I also like the reaction of his new team mates which i thought very encouraging.
Yeah at the time I really liked the enthusiastic response from his team mates after the goal. Interestingly I have since read that RL and the team had spoken about poor body language and that they should show more enthusiasm especially after a team mate has kicked a goal. Who doesn't love a goal.
Amazing how much this sort of thing can boost the worth of a player on my mind.

Rooey seemed to get behind him, so I'm certainly behind him.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Polo is probably going to be another Farren Ray type if he is anything like at Richmond. Good to very good player in most games but the odd game or quarter where you don't see him. The Tigers are reloading their list with kids thats why they let him go. He is a refugee from the Plough era. I still say Leigh Fisher could have been a handy player at another club but wasn't rated by RL. I would try to lure shane tuck out of the tigers too, he is a very good player but can't get a walk up start under damien Hardwick. Polo adds a big body to our list midfielder, something we lack in the absence of Hayes.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

from wikipedia..

"Dean Polo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dean Polo
Personal information
Full name Dean Polo
Date of birth 5 August 1986 (age 24)
Place of birth Gippsland, Victoria
Recruited from Wy Yung / Gippsland U18
Draft 20th overall, 2004
Richmond
Height/Weight 187 cm / 81 kg
Position(s) Midfielder/ Forward and Half Back Flanks
Club information
Current club St Kilda
Number 34
Playing career1
Years Club Games (Goals)
2005–2010 Richmond 56 (11)St Kilda 2 (2)

Dean Polo (born 5 August 1986) is an Australian rules footballer who plays for St. Kilda in the Australian Football League.

Polo was drafted by the Richmond Football Club with the 20th pick in the 2004 AFL Draft.

In his first season at Richmond in 2005, Polo initially struggled with the move from a small country town to the "big city", and was dropped to the Coburg reserves early on in the season. However in the 2nd half of the season his performances earned him a promotion to the Coburg seniors, where his performances continued to improve to the point where he was considered a possibility to debut for Richmond towards the end of the 2005 season.

After starring for Coburg in the early part of the 2006 season, Polo made his AFL debut in Round 6 against Essendon in the "Dreamtime at the G" game. He starred in the game, collecting 28 disposals and kicking 3 goals, helping Richmond beat their arch-rivals Essendon. Polo was rewarded with the Yiooken Award for his best-on-ground performance and was also nominated for the 2006 NAB Rising Star award.

In 2010 Polo was banned by the club for one week following a drunken incident in a Sydney hotel. This only added to the pain of Richmond's previously-winless start to the season. On 14 October 2010 he was delisted by the Tigers after 56 senior games in his six season at the club.

On 18 November 2010 Polo was drafted by St Kilda for the 2011 season."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
starsign
Club Player

stinger wrote:from wikipedia..

"Dean Polo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dean Polo
Personal information
Full name Dean Polo
Date of birth 5 August 1986 (age 24)
Place of birth Gippsland, Victoria
Recruited from Wy Yung / Gippsland U18
Draft 20th overall, 2004
Richmond
Height/Weight 187 cm / 81 kg
Position(s) Midfielder/ Forward and Half Back Flanks
Club information
Current club St Kilda
Number 34
Playing career1
Years Club Games (Goals)
2005–2010 Richmond 56 (11)St Kilda 2 (2)

Dean Polo (born 5 August 1986) is an Australian rules footballer who plays for St. Kilda in the Australian Football League.

Polo was drafted by the Richmond Football Club with the 20th pick in the 2004 AFL Draft.

In his first season at Richmond in 2005, Polo initially struggled with the move from a small country town to the "big city", and was dropped to the Coburg reserves early on in the season. However in the 2nd half of the season his performances earned him a promotion to the Coburg seniors, where his performances continued to improve to the point where he was considered a possibility to debut for Richmond towards the end of the 2005 season.

After starring for Coburg in the early part of the 2006 season, Polo made his AFL debut in Round 6 against Essendon in the "Dreamtime at the G" game. He starred in the game, collecting 28 disposals and kicking 3 goals, helping Richmond beat their arch-rivals Essendon. Polo was rewarded with the Yiooken Award for his best-on-ground performance and was also nominated for the 2006 NAB Rising Star award.

In 2010 Polo was banned by the club for one week following a drunken incident in a Sydney hotel. This only added to the pain of Richmond's previously-winless start to the season. On 14 October 2010 he was delisted by the Tigers after 56 senior games in his six season at the club.

On 18 November 2010 Polo was drafted by St Kilda for the 2011 season."
Oops there's a huge gap between 06 Rising Star and us picking him up!
56 games in 6 seasons!! 9 a year!
Anyway he looks like he may be worth persevering with at the moment with our midfield stocks

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Someone indicated on the weekend that Damien Hardwick was strict on retaining and recruiting really good kicks, so that may of been one of the reasons why they delisted him.

He played more off half back at the Tiges I think, so more emphasis on good kicking?

Ross saw potential in him to play as an inside mid like in his junior days though, perhaps in a clearance type role kicking isn't so paramount.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Someone indicated on the weekend that Damien Hardwick was strict on retaining and recruiting really good kicks, so that may of been one of the reasons why they delisted him.

He played more off half back at the Tiges I think, so more emphasis on good kicking?

Ross saw potential in him to play as an inside mid like in his junior days though, perhaps in a clearance type role kicking isn't so paramount.
Obviously when CJ and Armo play there.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Someone indicated on the weekend that Damien Hardwick was strict on retaining and recruiting really good kicks, so that may of been one of the reasons why they delisted him.

thanx for the insight.... 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Hey I'm just going by what the coach says, but I realise you always know better....

"Lyon said he had followed Polo's career in recent years and a breakfast meeting with him last month convinced the St Kilda coach that he deserved another chance.

"I'm not saying he is the perfect player, but as an under 18 (player) he was an elite inside hard working midfielder, and he might be able to help Lenny Hayes," Lyon said.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hey I'm just going by what the coach says, but I realise you always know better....

"Lyon said he had followed Polo's career in recent years and a breakfast meeting with him last month convinced the St Kilda coach that he deserved another chance.

"I'm not saying he is the perfect player, but as an under 18 (player) he was an elite inside hard working midfielder, and he might be able to help Lenny Hayes," Lyon said.
I was actually agreeing with you. Polo isnt a great kick and neither are CJ or Armo so RL obviously doesnt rate kicking number one in the midfield.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I was actually agreeing with you. Polo isnt a great kick and neither are CJ or Armo so RL obviously doesnt rate kicking number one in the midfield.
Haha, reading it again....your post is ambigious, but it's entirely your fault that I thought it was negative :lol:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Bump. Where turn did the horse ride bring us yesterday?

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Bump. Where turn did the horse ride bring us yesterday?
English please.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
English please.
Yeah I'm failing to be clever.

Simple English: How did you rate Polo's game yesterday?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
English please.

Pretty good actually.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
English please.

Pretty good actually.
Apart from the whack he gave Eddie Munster which resulted in the reversed free kick to Schnedier which would have been taken in the goal sqaure.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
English please.

Pretty good actually.
Apart from the whack he gave Eddie Munster which resulted in the reversed free kick to Schnedier which would have been taken in the goal sqaure.
No, including that, the umpire overreacted.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Looks like we all agree, a good up-grade on McQualter. Stays in.

It will be interesting to see how well he goes this week on the big Freo ground.
Got an Idea why don't we try upgrading to a higher level player instead of one around the same b grade level?

Just for a change anyway

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Got an Idea why don't we try upgrading to a higher level player instead of one around the same b grade level?

At pick 103, IMO is a more than reasonable use of the pick.

At pick 103...whomever you pick-up will have some type of flaw that needs to be addressed.

At pick 103..you are not going to get a higher level player except by recruiting a flawed player to work on.

The early picks all went on young players with good skills and IMO we seem to have at last nailed our blend of picks after a number of years of going ok with the recycled picks, but not getting the selection of kids right in the main..

24. JAMIE CRIPPS
(East Fremantle, 18, 183cm, 75kg)
Skilful, running defender who likes to take the game on from half-back.

43. SAM CROCKER
(Oakleigh Chargers, 18, 178cm, 71kg)
Small forward, good overhead for a player of his size.

59. TOM LEDGER
(Claremont, 18, 178cm, 73kg)
Quick, elusive midfielder.

75. ARRYN SIPOSS
(Dandenong Stingrays, 17, 188cm, 82kg)
Marking forward who likes to run hard and work his opponent over. Emerged in the last half of the year.

90. RYAN GAMBLE
(Geelong, 23, 184cm, 85kg)
Medium forward who has also played in defence.

103. DEAN POLO
(Richmond, 24, 187cm, 84kg)
Medium defender or midfielder who gets another chance with the Saints.

111. TOM SIMPKIN
(promoted rookie)

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2 ... z1NkIUHVLL

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

He played like a hard running midfielder and he linked up well

Another opportunity awaits!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

His shot for goal from outside the 50 and on the boundary hit the post pretty high up. Looked a good kick to me.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

This guy works pretty hard. Anyone who has seen him in the VFL this year will testify to that. Doesn't go looking for the easy football, but gets a bit of it and generally wise with his disposals. Also has an eye for goal. The hardbody thing is relevant imo.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

At pick 103, IMO is a more than reasonable use of the pick.

At pick 103...whomever you pick-up will have some type of flaw that needs to be addressed.

At pick 103..you are not going to get a higher level player except by recruiting a flawed player to work on.

The early picks all went on young players with good skills and IMO we seem to have at last nailed our blend of picks after a number of years of going ok with the recycled picks, but not getting the selection of kids right in the main..

24. JAMIE CRIPPS
(East Fremantle, 18, 183cm, 75kg)
Skilful, running defender who likes to take the game on from half-back.

43. SAM CROCKER
(Oakleigh Chargers, 18, 178cm, 71kg)
Small forward, good overhead for a player of his size.

59. TOM LEDGER
(Claremont, 18, 178cm, 73kg)
Quick, elusive midfielder.

75. ARRYN SIPOSS
(Dandenong Stingrays, 17, 188cm, 82kg)
Marking forward who likes to run hard and work his opponent over. Emerged in the last half of the year.

90. RYAN GAMBLE
(Geelong, 23, 184cm, 85kg)
Medium forward who has also played in defence.

103. DEAN POLO
(Richmond, 24, 187cm, 84kg)
Medium defender or midfielder who gets another chance with the Saints.

111. TOM SIMPKIN
(promoted rookie)

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2 ... z1NkIUHVLL
:lol: Look at that 'lousy' recruiting. :wink: