Has St.Kilda become one of the more hated clubs of the AFL?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

No - it's Collingwood, then the rest - by a million kilometres. I actually know two Collingwood supporters who are decent human beings. Alas, they are the only two on the planet.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i hate us!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

not winning!

ps - i know just two as well firey - my brother - who's xmas giift to me last year was a collingwood book! and my best mate. my luck.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:What the heck has happened here?
I think you were trying to make a point... :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I know plenty of fans of other clubs who hate us and their reasons are:

Negative footy or players who are not superior players using systematic strangling to win. See Sydney when dominant under Roos.

Milne smart arse who seems to pull goals out of his smart arse. See Jake king mixed with Jeff Farmer.

Media pushing the boring nature of the game style we play. See making footy unwatchable.

Perceived arrogance, and staging by Roo.

But my opinion is that it is because of our dominant couple of years at the top of the ladder. When ever anyone calls SEN they always seem to say they love that we are struggling.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Finna wrote:
Sounds to me that those are your issues - not supporters of opposition teams.

If you really care what people think about us then dont engage with supporters of other teams...... :shock:
I certainly do have issues with us having taken the defensive/negative side of things too far, as I and others have stated many times before (hopefully that's OK with you) and as I clearly stated, I have a big issue with the way we haven't gone on with it when we've gotten well on top in games, I thought I made that pretty clear. I believe it's been incredibly costly for our club and for us viewing the game as a spectacle. Neither of which I'm happy about, as both a long time supporter and member of our club and also a huge fan of watching the game of Australian Rules football.
But it doesn't take long browsing through the forums of a place like BigFooty, or listening to the footy shows on TV or radio, to realise that there is even more hate/dislike directed towards our club from outside, because of the way we've been playing the game. At least we get to enjoy a win. Most who were watching our game who don't follow either team don't get that enjoyment of the win and often don't get to enjoy the game either, as it's often been so "unwatchable". If you've done some research that finds the opposite to be true, though, and that most who don't follow us actually love watching us play and that it is in fact "just me" then please feel free to enlighten us to your findings. Good luck with that.
But the rest (like the hatred/dislike of Milne/Roo/Baker), is pretty bloody obvious every week when we go to the footy, if you in fact go to the footy. I don't share that hatred of them.
Unless I'm mistaken, this is a thread about why many outside the club "hate" us now, and I gave my honest opinion on why that is, having heard these things from many who don't follow us. If you don't like hearing these things and have nothing to add to it (as to why many do seem to hate us now) then maybe you ought to take some of your own advice and "not engage" ie. not read this thread. There are plenty of other on the board to read and respond to.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 26 May 2011 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:I just dont get tthe hate for Roo thing

5 x B&F, scrupulously fair ball player, I just dont get it.....doesnt even sook to the umpires when things go wrong like Goodes and Judd

So he shows some emotion...so does his cousin and I for one love how Jack plays his footy, pretty much for the same reasons as Richo was my fave non-Saint

Milney..Baker..yep I get that..but I just got get the hate for Roo, bar stupid jealousy
Agree. I get the Milne and Baker ones too, but the Roo hate has really surprised me.

saint tash
Club Player

Great footballers ala Roo are always "hated". Blonde hair, plays fair, a star of the game and a threat to the opposition.

Pretty hard to hate someone u have never met.

Reckon Rooey, Milney and Bakes would be pretty decent guys on the social front.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saint tash wrote:Great footballers ala Roo are always "hated". Blonde hair, plays fair, a star of the game and a threat to the opposition.
True. That is certainly a big part of why Roo is booed when he gets the pill, I believe. But there are without doubt an awful lot who begrudge him all the free kicks he gets, but that's their problem.

saint tash
Club Player

Free kicks? Gawd. The guy always plays in front and should get a fair whack more and the scumps miss a sheisenhousen load as well. :roll:

Oh when the saints go charging in!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well if you think about it - If Collingwood are the enemy and the most hated - then most people would have felt let down but the saints being unable to finish the b*stards off. In some peoples eyes the Saints are the team that allowed the pies to win a flag.
I get a lot of that over here. No-one seems to care about any of the other stuff...must be a Melbourne thing.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Interesting to see that so many believe a large multitude of reasons but barely anyone has off field dramas on their list.

Even If none of it was true the media have bashed us from pillar to post and surely must have damaged our Image and reputation?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Yeah we all hate them when they lose

Another opportunity awaits!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Winmar7Fan wrote:Interesting to see that so many believe a large multitude of reasons but barely anyone has off field dramas on their list.

Even If none of it was true the media have bashed us from pillar to post and surely must have damaged our Image and reputation?
It has certainly damaged our "image and rep" (hence seemingly having trouble getting anyone to be our major sponsor for this year), but I'm not sure too many would "hate" us as a result of all that stuff, although some have certainly had enough of it.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

If fans hate Roo cos he gets frees, then they must've LOVED Plugger as he never got any bloody free kicks, especially against the Carlscum Octopus

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:If fans hate Roo cos he gets frees, then they must've LOVED Plugger as he never got any bloody free kicks, especially against the Carlscum Octopus
Plugger got a better deal when he moved to Sydney.

In moving North he became, ironically, a Saint in the eyes of the umps!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I hate other saints fans after being on saintsational.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I hate other saints fans after being on saintsational.
That's a bit of a generalisation gringo; some of us ain't that bad :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saint66au wrote:I just dont get tthe hate for Roo thing

5 x B&F, scrupulously fair ball player, I just dont get it.....doesnt even sook to the umpires when things go wrong like Goodes and Judd

So he shows some emotion...so does his cousin and I for one love how Jack plays his footy, pretty much for the same reasons as Richo was my fave non-Saint

Milney..Baker..yep I get that..but I just got get the hate for Roo, bar stupid jealousy
Agree. I get the Milne and Baker ones too, but the Roo hate has really surprised me.
It's called jealousy.

Because he's so farking good!!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I dare say you're spot on about that!
Same sort of reason the likes of Buckley got roundly booed.
I think it's fair to say that most of them would cream their pants about the prospect of Nick playing for them, though. Their attitude would change quick smart!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint tash wrote:Free kicks? Gawd. The guy always plays in front and should get a fair whack more and the scumps miss a sheisenhousen load as well. :roll:
and you are not just whistling dixie there either...last couple of weeks he has been shoved under the ball on numerous occasions...for nil frees from the maggots.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Finna
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Finna wrote:
Sounds to me that those are your issues - not supporters of opposition teams.

If you really care what people think about us then dont engage with supporters of other teams...... :shock:
I certainly do have issues with us having taken the defensive/negative side of things too far, as I and others have stated many times before (hopefully that's OK with you) and as I clearly stated, I have a big issue with the way we haven't gone on with it when we've gotten well on top in games, I thought I made that pretty clear. I believe it's been incredibly costly for our club and for us viewing the game as a spectacle. Neither of which I'm happy about, as both a long time supporter and member of our club and also a huge fan of watching the game of Australian Rules football.
But it doesn't take long browsing through the forums of a place like BigFooty, or listening to the footy shows on TV or radio, to realise that there is even more hate/dislike directed towards our club from outside, because of the way we've been playing the game. At least we get to enjoy a win. Most who were watching our game who don't follow either team don't get that enjoyment of the win and often don't get to enjoy the game either, as it's often been so "unwatchable". If you've done some research that finds the opposite to be true, though, and that most who don't follow us actually love watching us play and that it is in fact "just me" then please feel free to enlighten us to your findings. Good luck with that.
But the rest (like the hatred/dislike of Milne/Roo/Baker), is pretty bloody obvious every week when we go to the footy, if you in fact go to the footy. I don't share that hatred of them.
Unless I'm mistaken, this is a thread about why many outside the club "hate" us now, and I gave my honest opinion on why that is, having heard these things from many who don't follow us. If you don't like hearing these things and have nothing to add to it (as to why many do seem to hate us now) then maybe you ought to take some of your own advice and "not engage" ie. not read this thread. There are plenty of other on the board to read and respond to.
There wouldn't be many neutral supporters who didn't enjoy GF1 last year. That was classic 'Saints Footy'.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......