Dal and Chips rotation.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dal and Chips rotation.

Ross is trying some different things including rotating Dal and Sam through the backline and mid field at different stages throughout the game. I think it's good that he is willing to try different things.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

When you're 3rd last you'll try anything

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal and Chips rotation.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert added to the mids rotation a bit more often. I think he could be effective there, despite being taller than the average mid.

He seems to have lost a bit of confidence overhead, though, which is a shame because he used to take quite a lot of marks.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I like the idea of trying something different with Dal, but Fisher is a champion in his preferred position: taking him away from there simply weakens us IMO.

But I'm OK with trying Gilbo in the middle, oreven Jimmy.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

chips played in the midfield for most of the game yesterday, and didnt look out of place.

Still had plenty in his tank to drop back into defence when required also.
Good move by Ross I think, although it had more to do with melbournes smaller forward line.... I cant see fisher in the middle when we play the pies for example.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
ando051
Club Player

I liked the idea with Chips in the centre, it adds another string to his bow, if he gets tagged down back. Keep Jimmy in the backline, they moved him forward last weekend and he looked like a fish out of water.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah try diff things but taking prob the best backmam and putting him anywhere but the backline is crazy
fisher plays back...the end

dal got creamed by green
yeah great idea lets but out highest ASSIST player in the backline on their best forward and givce away about a foot in height
not very good imo

i will say that roo running around the ground i liked
has a tank as we all know, racked up touches, tackled, hit packs, brilliant work

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Love your Avater ando051 . :lol:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote:I liked the idea with Chips in the centre, it adds another string to his bow, if he gets tagged down back. Keep Jimmy in the backline, they moved him forward last weekend and he looked like a fish out of water.
thats what Ross was trying to get at when he talked about Chips and Dal ibeing in different positions. Dal being put down back

St Lenny
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Love your Avater ando051 . :lol:
Was just thinking the same thing.

Saints Angel
Club Player

I think Fisher should be left on the backline where he is a strength for us. Rotating Gilbert into the midfield might be a worthwhile trial. I did not think Dal Santo did all that much playing back. Green was so much bigger and stronger than him.

jays
Club Player

keep him in the back imo

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The better teams have been targeting Fisher in our backline.

To give him another string...gives us options.

Also for those who have not yet noticed..our midfield has been getting trounced this year...so again time to try other options.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I liked it. Maybe not for dal, perhaps keep dal in the midfield or forward. Perhaps bring in lynch to play chippers role down back?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Fish looked comfortable in the midfield. This is a good string to his bow, as well as his ability to go forward and kick the odd goal. Wouldn't like to see him leave the backline against stronger opponents though.

As for Dal, I have no idea why he went to Green. Green is strong overhead for his size and has been one of the better forwards in the competition for a number of years. I wouldn't mind seeing Dal go forward as an alternative though, where he can use his evasiveness, smarts and foot skills to better effect.

The Saints are coming!
footynut
Club Player

Moving Sam Fisher into the middle seam to work a treat!! I'd tried this again just to make sure it wasnt a once off. I also think Sam Gilbert is able to break the lines when he is on the ball. This is a much better position for him than up forward. He also demonstrated his ability to tag and work off an apponent when we played last Calton.

On the other hand Dal looked like a fish out of water playing deep in the backline. He would be much better suited to rotation in the forward line.

Ross needs to continue to experiment with new tactics, employing the ones that work and discarding the others.He also needs to continue to playing the kids in their preferred positions ala Steven (who performs a hell of a lot better on the ball than he does in the forward line).

spert
Saintsational Legend

NDS went into the backline as a kick up the bum from RL, due his poor defensive work in the midfield this season. Fisher has a couple of strings to his bow- great in the backline, and can also drift forward and contribute.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

chips must get the s***s when everybody pumps up the tyres of roo, bj and lenny as our best players.....this guy is up there with them......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:chips must get the s***s when everybody pumps up the tyres of roo, bj and lenny as our best players.....this guy is up there with them......
Maybe not...

Who needs that pressure?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:
dal got creamed by green
yeah great idea lets but out highest ASSIST player in the backline on their best forward and givce away about a foot in height
not very good imo
I didn't like that move either, but Ross said it was about giving Dal some more strings to his bow. That as he's getting older he may end up moving down back, or up forward and that it was a good chance for him to get some experience in that role.
I just wish he'd done more of that sort of stuff in the past two years, when we were well on top in games or when we were playing someone we expected to beat easily, like Collingwood do. That way, you don't have to make a move for about the first time in a GF, like we did with Gilbert last year. If he'd been more accustomed to playing forward he may have nailed some of those shots in the second GF.
As for Green being about a foot taller than Dal, Green is listed at 184cm in at least 6 websites, including Melbourne's official site, Wikipedia, Footywire (stats site) etc. while Dal is listed on all those sort of sites at 185cm.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.