Is kosi better then big Mc and Stanley????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint58
Club Player

I really like Kosi but i like a flag more.
If Kosi and blake are better ruckman the especially McEvoy and even stanley (who has been playing well for sandy),we are in reall trouble.

If the club thinks so porley of Mc and Stanley well maybe its time they look eleseware where they can get a regular game.

Kosi carnt jump,mark,or even ruck and that is a shame as i do remember how he used to play.

We carnt afford to carry him anymore and i would rather see a young guy in makeing a few mistakes.He would at least they would compete and they can play forward and would give a contest.

Blake who has been a great player for the club is not a ruckman he is a tryer but is not big enough or a good enough kick to stay on the ball.

I know there will allways be stats to contradict me but lets face it will these 2 take us to a premership i dont think so.

Where as Mc and stanley i feel more confident in as there best is still to come and both are versatile and exciting yes they make mistakes but so do blake and kosi.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sadly we dont have a competitive tap ruckman right now..whoever we try gets smashed and its a factor is us likewise getting smashed at clearances

Right now I think Mac offers us the most around the ground. Kosi was OK last week but awful this week IMO (might have been injured or whatever but the bottom line is that he gave us nothing) I reckon Mac will return v Freo although the big ground is going to show him up a little as he is sadly slow

Our last centre bounce was taken by Zac

:roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

As I said last week, this next month is a chance for kosi to grasp onto the first ruck position. Had a shocker which included two head knocks. Still need to give him those chances. Otherwise it's time to move him on.

If thats the case play blake as a body to get hit by the number 1 rucks and work both macca and stanley into the game.

Blake and Gards retire, kosi moved on (perhaps to GWS).

Trade for a ruckman and draft one (rookie one) and go again.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

a brick wall would be more useful than kosi.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

In the absence of Michael Gardiner, Jason Blake is our best "tap" ruckman. He actually just brings the ball to ground and then acts as another mid. The only clearances we seemed to win came when he was rucking.

quidnunc
Club Player

Are some posters for real? Do they not think that GWS etc. etc. watch football matches?

How much currency do they think Kosi is worth?

First round, second round, third round pick?

Check out how many Dreamteam or Supercoach teams Kosi is in - do the supporters know more than AFL club recruiters?

Finally, I would say that McEvoy is faster over the ground than Kosi.

That's my rant anyway. Cheers.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote:Are some posters for real? Do they not think that GWS etc. etc. watch football matches?

Check out how many Dreamteam or Supercoach teams Kosi is in - do the supporters know more than AFL club recruiters?

I would take a third rounder or perhaps one of the mature draftees the GWS have first dibs on.

Kosi has talent, is a solid strong player who would be priceless for a VERY young GWS.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Lenny
Club Player

Have always been worried this day would come and its here. No ruckman is a major problem for us. Though I thought Blake was reasonable at the weekend, him and Koz are not ruckman, its simple, yet they continually get rubbished for it. Rhys seems to be slow coming on and Big Mac is not up to it yet. But what else do you do.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:In the absence of Michael Gardiner, Jason Blake is our best "tap" ruckman. He actually just brings the ball to ground and then acts as another mid. The only clearances we seemed to win came when he was rucking.
The sad thing about that is that Blake doesn't have a future at the club beyond this season.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Michael Gardiner is the key imo.

Kosi is not a #1 ruck, he is a handy #2, when he is fit.

When Gardiner comes back in we'll improve.

You take the #1 ruck and #1 clearance player out of any side and clearances will go down.

Right now Kosi is in our top 2 as ruck options, despite being terribly unfit.

Kosi barely did a preseason, and got his ankle stood on in his return game.

So he's played only 4 games with no preseason, and is being asked to ruck for most of the game

AND with the new sub rule, he isn't able to be rotated as often as he would have been last year.

AND his preseaon injury is not going to allow him to leap as well as he has in the past. I assume there would still be some scar tissue associated with his injury, which will account for his lack of strength in a one on one contest also

Kosi is the best option we have atm, and he will become more valuable when MG returns and his fitness improves...

Give the guy a break FFS!

Middo
Club Player

Solar wrote:
quidnunc wrote:Are some posters for real? Do they not think that GWS etc. etc. watch football matches?

I would take a third rounder or perhaps one of the mature draftees the GWS have first dibs on.

Kosi has talent, is a solid strong player who would be priceless for a VERY young GWS.
Are you for real ..? I'm more of a chance to get a call up from GWS than Kosi and I'm 46 !!!!!! He has nothing left to offer other than a pack mark every 3/4games or just maybe a goal or two over a few weeks , note I say maybe. I have been waiting for the real Kosi to make a return over the last 18 months and sadly for him and us it's over !!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:

Kosi is solid and strong?
I wish he was, but the truth is he's pretty thin and physically weak. How many times on Saturday did he just get brushed aside in a marking contest? I'd say at least 4 times. Just about all they have to do is lean on him and he's out of the contest.
He came up next to me at one of the eateries outside Etihad Stadium earlier in the year (maybe during the NAB Cup) and I was really surprised at just how skinny he is. He is tall and reasonably athletic (can leap over a pack) and that's about it. There's very little bulk or physical strength to him at all, like Roo.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SinCitySaint
Club Player

Kosi has zero trade value to anyone even GWS.
They would look at Kosi if he was a big physically dominating player that could help out the young guys while they get some bulk but unfortunately he is anything but that. He is primarily an athletic KPP but one with no pace whatsoever. He is the same build as Roo but without the pace or running power. He unfortunately has no place in the game anymore. In 2009 he seemed to be quite a bit stronger and was not easy to push around but it looks to me like he has cut down his bulk in order to improve his agility. This has been a terrible decision as he is now just being pushed around like an 18 year old out there.
In order to be of any value footballers need to either be all round athletes with a football brain or they need at least one outstanding asset which makes them stand out. Kosi is simply to slow and lumbering to fulfill the all round athlete category and he has no outstanding assets at all anymore. This is a real shame.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They should just put in a team of kids next week, let them get smashed to build their confidence, then allow us to get on here and write off their futures as afl players. Letting Mac ruck week after week and knowing he is getting absolutely smashed at every bounce won't get him to come on quicker. Kosi is competitive without being a great ruckman, he is still worth having in the team because he is a big target up forward who shepherds and pack crashes, he doesn't always have a great game but apart from Archer we don't have a big contested marker who brings the ball to ground. Kosi had no preseason and is gaining fitness while playing. We should back our confidence players not bag them into retirement. Nick Riewoldt is a much better player when Kosi is in. He makes a team take their second tall defender off Roo.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:...he is still worth having in the team because he is a big target up forward who shepherds and pack crashes, he doesn't always have a great game but apart from Archer we don't have a big contested marker who brings the ball to ground. Kosi had no preseason and is gaining fitness while playing. We should back our confidence players not bag them into retirement. Nick Riewoldt is a much better player when Kosi is in. He makes a team take their second tall defender off Roo.
Agreed.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

NO!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
savatage
SS Life Member

Not too many taller players peaked at the start of their career but unfortunately for Kosi that is the reality of the situation.

We hoped he would improve, some continue to hope - he should play the rest of his footy in the reserves giving his experience & guidance to the up and comers. Tell him to enjoy his footy - get a kick at a lower standard & help the club out.

PJ
SS Life Member

Kosi should do about 10 - 20 % ruck time in an ideal world but in the absence of any other options he should do more ( maybe 50 - 50).

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SinCitySaint
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:
gringo wrote:...he is still worth having in the team because he is a big target up forward who shepherds and pack crashes, he doesn't always have a great game but apart from Archer we don't have a big contested marker who brings the ball to ground. Kosi had no preseason and is gaining fitness while playing. We should back our confidence players not bag them into retirement. Nick Riewoldt is a much better player when Kosi is in. He makes a team take their second tall defender off Roo.
Agreed.
This is simply not true anymore. Two years ago he used to crash packs now he just gets brushed aside. He no longer has the strength to crash packs.