centre clearances

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:
I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They could be structuring up exactly where they are supposed to, and being told by the ruckman that he is going to a certain set play.

I can only go by what is reflected in the omissions and selections, it doesn't seem to point towards the mids.
you got love that
I can just see McEvoy telling goddard and NDS & Montagna how to set up center plays...
Well he should be. Even in C grade ammo's the ruckmen control how the mids set up by what play he is going to do. However most side will have at least one defensive mid.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Where is Goddard going to play this weekend? Not in the midfield surely. I would start him forward.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They could be structuring up exactly where they are supposed to, and being told by the ruckman that he is going to a certain set play.

I can only go by what is reflected in the omissions and selections, it doesn't seem to point towards the mids.
'structuring up like they are supposed to"

what does that mean? like standing on an x like on a white board?
what utter nonsense. clearances are about 3 things:

1. reading the play
2. willingness to compete
3. strength speed and handling skills

i dont think its about 'structuring up" - like if u stand in the right spot on a space of 16msq the ball will just come to you?

im pretty sure if it was "structuring up" they would have come up with the right formula in 100 years of footy when we are only talking about 16m sq. how can u possibly give the benfit of the doubt on that?
Are there really still people out there who don't get that clearances are about "structuring up"? Yes, structuring up is the stuff dictated by X's and O's on the whiteboard. This isn't some internet theory, this is what every AFL coach has been preaching for most of the last decade.

All of the 3 criteria listed above are still necessary, but this isn't the under-12s, this is AFL. Everyone on the ground has those attributes to the 99th percentile, and any edge you can get is sought.
thats hysterical. so u reckon pendles and selwood win so many clearances because mick/brad haev him in the right spot? and the other coaches cant figure that out for 2 hours every saturday afternoon? thats belly splitting comedy.

what ur also saying is - lets just say mick called in sick one saturday pendles would suddenly jot know what to do and not be able to wina clearance? its high comedy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

1. reading the play

i dont think its about 'structuring up" - like if u stand in the right spot on a space of 16msq the ball will just come to you?

im pretty sure if it was "structuring up" they would have come up with the right formula in 100 years of footy when we are only talking about 16m sq. how can u possibly give the benfit of the doubt on that?
Are there really still people out there who don't get that clearances are about "structuring up"? Yes, structuring up is the stuff dictated by X's and O's on the whiteboard. This isn't some internet theory, this is what every AFL coach has been preaching for most of the last decade.

All of the 3 criteria listed above are still necessary, but this isn't the under-12s, this is AFL. Everyone on the ground has those attributes to the 99th percentile, and any edge you can get is sought.
thats hysterical. so u reckon pendles and selwood win so many clearances because mick/brad haev him in the right spot? and the other coaches cant figure that out for 2 hours every saturday afternoon? thats belly splitting comedy.

what ur also saying is - lets just say mick called in sick one saturday pendles would suddenly jot know what to do and not be able to wina clearance? its high comedy.

so how does lenny win more clearances than other saints players? does the coach only tell his structures to lenny?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:

you got love that
I can just see McEvoy telling goddard and NDS & Montagna how to set up center plays...
Well he should be. Even in C grade ammo's the ruckmen control how the mids set up by what play he is going to do. However most side will have at least one defensive mid.
precisely.....coming from a former ruckman.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SENsaintsational wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:

you got love that
bet you never played with goddard tho

Seeya
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:

you got love that
bet you never played with goddard tho
I did play with a Goddard once upon a time!!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

1. reading the play

so how does lenny win more clearances than other saints players? does the coach only tell his structures to lenny?
Are you really suggesting that everyone just sets up at the bounce wherever they feel like it? The strings of handballs to the open wing happen all by themselves? So put your guy between Judd and the bounce - when Judd blocks Murphy's man, Murphy picks up the ball and handballs straight to a sprinting Judd, we'll just call that luck that when Judd took off he didn't find himself going the wrong way..

Of course certain players are better than others. But effective clearances aren't about the first touch, they're about the last touch. Clearance work - especially in the center square - is driven by set plays, and has been for a very long time.

Teams practice these clearance plays from the moment preseason starts until the bitter end of the season. They've been doing it since well before the forward press.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford