Lack of youngsters pushing up makes Saints' future grim

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

That's a fair assessment by Paul.

Savage shouldn't be compared to a Cripps or Sippos as he has been in the system for a couple of years now. He is very good though.

Jack Steven played a cracker last year against Geelong, I'd be surprised if nobody went 'wow' at the end of that game.

I am worried about Jack though, his TOG is quite low, so I assume he is still carrying his niggle?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:How good was Savage? Good enough to earn the Rising Star nomination.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1eqhu.html

Taken at pick 75 in 2008, just after Paul Cahill.
Nah, he must be garbage, because he didn't show anything in the first few games. He's a second year player, so he's a full 12 months worse than Cripps and Siposs for a start. What a joke of an article.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Paul Roos made an interesting point last night on "On The Couch".

He said that younger players perform better when the older, experienced players are playing well.
It's a point that's been made on here a few times too.

And it's the reason why I think that we missed a chance to play these young guys whilst we were up and about over the past 2 years.

Rosco went with the '4 year apprenticeship' thing as a response when asked why we weren't playing young guys, but really the best time to give them experience is when they can slide into a good, confident team with experienced guys all around them taking the key roles.

I said it at the time, and I still think we missed a chance in that regard.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Rodger is deperately trying to communicate with us, you going to let him out at anytime Johnny? :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Paul Roos may be an interesting guy to have on RL's side, as the Swan's experienced a slow start to the season last year, plus kids not really coming on as they'd hoped. Also, development their kids was hampered by injury, as have ours.

Cripps, Johnson, Archer, Steven, Ledger, Lynch, and Geary (who'd have been a shoe-in for Bakes) all have had injury hampered seasons. Steven and Stanley also suffering through their own stupidity pre-season. This gets glossed over as much as two of our premium midfielders and a ruckman missing on Sunday (henc smashed in the clearances...d'uh).

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Rodger is deperately trying to communicate with us, you going to let him out at anytime Johnny? :wink:
Alright, I'll bite this time...

What the f*** are you on about? Are you baiting me for a reason? Or is it a joke that I'm not getting?

Can you please cut it out?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Steven is a tad over-rated on this forum. He is a real goer. A good Aussie battler. He will play plenty of games. Competes well and has some ticker and nous. But no star quality.

When I was reading about the Hawks Rucking woes this week the penny dropped that we have been miles too harsh on Stanely (and Mac). Just take a few breaths and look around at other clubs. Its very rare that a ruckman does much before they are 22 or 23. Zac Smith and the Nat Man aside - Most lists have a 20yo ruckman who you have almost certainly never heard of and has done bugger all.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Rodger is deperately trying to communicate with us, you going to let him out at anytime Johnny? :wink:

What the f*** are you on about? Are you baiting me for a reason? Or is it a joke that I'm not getting?

Obviously it was a joke, agree there is no point if you're not getting it, and sure I'll cut it out.

I'm not the malicious type, and offensive I wasn't intending to be.

Sorry.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: I am worried about Jack though, his TOG is quite low, so I assume he is still carrying his niggle?
Reportedly he developed OP last year....so following the lesson of Ball they may just be keeping his TOG down this year to try and stop it becoming endemic.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Obviously it was a joke, agree there is no point if you're not getting it, and sure I'll cut it out.

I'm not the malicious type, and offensive I wasn't intending to be.

Sorry.
Only p66 is allowed to have a sense of humour on this forum K, you know that. Now cease and descist.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote: I am worried about Jack though, his TOG is quite low, so I assume he is still carrying his niggle?
Reportedly he developed OP last year....so following the lesson of Ball they may just be keeping his TOG down this year to try and stop it becoming endemic.
True

He had 64%, Dean Polo even lower on 61% (did they rush him in given our issues with clearances)

Mini and Cripps both only about 40, because they each played a half.

St Igmata
Club Player

The truth is every club has youngsters.
Only a small percentage will make it.
Ours are very much behind the eight ball.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Only p66 is allowed to have a sense of humour on this forum K, you know that. Now cease and descist.
The Cowboy disagrees 8-)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Paul Roos made an interesting point last night on "On The Couch".

He said that younger players perform better when the older, experienced players are playing well.
It's a point that's been made on here a few times too.

And it's the reason why I think that we missed a chance to play these young guys whilst we were up and about over the past 2 years.

Rosco went with the '4 year apprenticeship' thing as a response when asked why we weren't playing young guys, but really the best time to give them experience is when they can slide into a good, confident team with experienced guys all around them taking the key roles.

I said it at the time, and I still think we missed a chance in that regard.
I agree.

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

...the pricks a loser...rent a quote ffs...

'Brittain, who went on to become the Blues' senior coach and recently was an assistant at Brisbane alongside Michael Voss, said Nick Riewoldt's inability to have an impact on games the way he had done in recent years had hurt and could be linked to Hayes' absence.'

...has he even got a job this year....

oh...and remind me were the f*** is brisbane on the ladder

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sasaint
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:The article may not have months of research behind it but the point remains valid. From 2004-2009 draft day always looked like a huge stuff up from an outsider's perspective. I only ever had information from the various phantom drafts on bigfooty, draft camp and watching the occasional TAC cup game, but on the occasion they we didn't trade picks for unwanted opposition players or draft the numerous sacked duds that we've had over the years, we'd always be taking kids well before they were expected to go. Drafting will never be an exact science, but the majority usually gives a fairly accurate assessment of how good the kids are. With first/second round picks you shouldn't be trying to pull a rabbit out of your arse; you take the best footballer available who would have a spot in your team.

Look at out first and second round picks since 2004

Pick 17 - McQualter - Dud
Pick 33 - Ackland - Dud

Pick 17 - Watts - Dud
Pick 33 - Gilbert - Seriously flawed, but has talent

Pick 9 - Armitage - Good player
Pick 27 - Howard - Dud

Pick 9 - McEvoy - Developing well, jury still out
Pick 26 - Schneider/Dempster - Good player and dud

Pick 13 - Lynch - Apparently not AFL quality according to the coaches
Pick 28ish - Ray - GOP, decent trade

Pick 16 - Lovett - Scum
Pick 33 - Winmar - I'm yet to see anything to suggest he'll make it

That strike rate just isn't good enough. And the later picks have mostly been wasted on recycled hacks, not giving any chance to pluck a Fisher or Gwilt. I think the sad reality is that unless the big guns hit top form again and carry the team while the next bunch of kids develop, we could be in for a rough 3-4 years because we just don't have the 21-24 year olds to take over.
Pretty fair summary. I still shake my head over Howard :?

One name that seems to have not been mentioned here is Cahill. He seems to have really shown something this year before his injury. I hope he comes back and continues to impress. A bit short as a FF but seems willing.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:One name that seems to have not been mentioned here is Cahill. He seems to have really shown something this year before his injury. I hope he comes back and continues to impress. A bit short as a FF but seems willing.
Cahill's listed at 192cm so I don't think height's an issue.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
sasaint wrote:One name that seems to have not been mentioned here is Cahill. He seems to have really shown something this year before his injury. I hope he comes back and continues to impress. A bit short as a FF but seems willing.
Cahill's listed at 192cm so I don't think height's an issue.
ironic that you can be 192cm and not measure up...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:...the pricks a loser...rent a quote ffs...

'Brittain, who went on to become the Blues' senior coach and recently was an assistant at Brisbane alongside Michael Voss, said Nick Riewoldt's inability to have an impact on games the way he had done in recent years had hurt and could be linked to Hayes' absence.'

...has he even got a job this year....

oh...and remind me were the f*** is brisbane on the ladder
You really do put a sensible argument. Every bit you said makes so much sense.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Great judge Brittain. What was his record at Carlton again? Too embarrassing to mention. Now at Brisbane. They are also last. Is there a pattern here? Didn't play at the highest level and developed his "skills" in that AFL cauldron the QAFL. Good grief! Has there ever been a bigger pretender? When it comes to advice on all matters AFL, I think I'll go with an old racing term. "Prefer others".

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Great judge Brittain. What was his record at Carlton again? Too embarrassing to mention. Now at Brisbane. They are also last. Is there a pattern here? Didn't play at the highest level and developed his "skills" in that AFL cauldron the QAFL. Good grief! Has there ever been a bigger pretender? When it comes to advice on all matters AFL, I think I'll go with an old racing term. "Prefer others".
I think you find he was at Brisbane in 2009, the year they made the finals. And surely because he didnt play AFL doesnt mean he knows nothing about footy.

St Igmata
Club Player

Actually if we are talking AFL qualifications here, surely WE are less qualified?

There are not too many more qualified commentators saying the opposite of Brittain.

Except for White Winmar ofcourse. :lol:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

As always P666 you selectively choose whatever allows you to have a stab. You failed to mention the rest of his record, which is appalling. A bit like your own. Perhaps you feel some empathy with him?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!