Siposs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

There is often a point where kids look tired and need a break to regain a bit of form. Steven is looking like the legs are heavy after a couple of good weeks before that. We may need to rest him just to save his body long term, I still think we overworked X Clarke and Kosi early and made them injury prone. As for Siposs, he just has something about him that gets you excited when he is near the ball, he doesn't get much of it but when he does he punishes. I'm not big on early calls but he looks very good.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:As far as I can remember the only reason Sipposs was passed over till such a late pick was he was under some sort of injury cloud?
Hopefully in years to come there'll be "why didn't we take Siposs?" threads on 16 other club fan sites :D
Why wait? How's he tracking against Jack Darling?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:Putting it plain and simple...

If he gets dropped at any stage, I am not going.

This kid is showing he is going to be a great player for us for 10 years and more. He provides and option, he makes a contest, and he can bloody well kick it straight!

Ross... Take note of this, make him the forward focus and get him controlling the forward line. Bring in as many other kids as we can and get them playing together as much as we can NOW.

Move Roo to CHB, he will be much more useful there whilst we are struggling to move the ball forward.

Lets do something for the future now, and not when the current crop are gone and/or passed their best before we try and bring inexperienced kids in to replace them.
If we do enter a rebuild.

I agree a young forward line is going to find it themselves starved of opportunity if they play alongside Roo.

This may teach them to be longsuffering and also observe how hard Roo works, or it may halt their development.

Not sure which.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Siposs, Cripps and Archer are all signs that there has been a shift in approach to the younger players. No 4 year apprenticeships for these guys. Promoting precocious talent is a risk, but one the club clearly knows it needs to take. Maybe RL and staff realised before any of us that this year would see a change in fortune. Give Walsh and Ledger a go as well. I'll bet anyone a few shillings that they can make it.

By the way, why did the club psychologist cut and run this year? I would've thought he had more reason than most to hang around. Was the heat in the kitchen too much? Anyone know the reason?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: By the way, why did the club psychologist cut and run this year? I would've thought he had more reason than most to hang around. Was the heat in the kitchen too much? Anyone know the reason?
that psychologist went back home to canad Middle of last year for family reasons
he was good- great man- who also got a bravery award for saving a women on a surf ski in the bay

schneids said they ahve a couple of people

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like we could use him now.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Siposs, Cripps and Archer are all signs that there has been a shift in approach to the younger players. No 4 year apprenticeships for these guys. Promoting precocious talent is a risk, but one the club clearly knows it needs to take. Maybe RL and staff realised before any of us that this year would see a change in fortune. Give Walsh and Ledger a go as well. I'll bet anyone a few shillings that they can make it.

By the way, why did the club psychologist cut and run this year? I would've thought he had more reason than most to hang around. Was the heat in the kitchen too much? Anyone know the reason?
Perhaps a harsh call, but I wouldnt bunch Archer with this group. Ill be more than happy to look like a goose in 3 years, but I just cant see the same upside as the other two. Yes hes a big unit and can take a mark, but he looks slower than Mac. Lumbering big blokes im afraid are destined for a life of VFL supremacy

Siposs's rise, especially given our history with "apprenticeships" is amazing. Virtually no preseason due to a quad injury (He was on crutches before Christmas) he started the year in Sandy reserves. 6 weeks later hes running out for the Saints. This isnt just playing the kids, the match commitee clearly see something special about him

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Perhaps a harsh call, but I wouldnt bunch Archer with this group. Ill be more than happy to look like a goose in 3 years, but I just cant see the same upside as the other two. Yes hes a big unit and can take a mark, but he looks slower than Mac. Lumbering big blokes im afraid are destined for a life of VFL supremacy

You should be on our drafting panel.......seeing that you can see that the guy's a dud....something our recruiters seem to have not noticed when they drafted him...

...give me and the kid a break ffs......what i have seen of him...and it's not much..i was impressed....whilst not in the same league as you as a judge of fine footy flesh.....i saw a glimmer of talent...but i, like our recruiters must have all been wrong.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
White Winmar wrote: By the way, why did the club psychologist cut and run this year? I would've thought he had more reason than most to hang around. Was the heat in the kitchen too much? Anyone know the reason?
that psychologist went back home to canad Middle of last year for family reasons
he was good- great man- who also got a bravery award for saving a women on a surf ski in the bay

schneids said they ahve a couple of people
I heard he was happy to commute from Canada to Moorabbin each week, but Canada to Seaford was just too far! :wink:

St Igmata
Club Player

Sippos is miles off being a 100 game player.
In fact 98 games.
Its a tall ask but a couple of goodish games doesnt mean you have made it.
He will struggle this season as teams focus on him and work him over.
How he responds we dont know.
Here is hoping.
This time last season we were all singing Stanleys praises now people see development is crucial.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saint66au wrote:

You should be on our drafting panel.......seeing that you can see that the guy's a dud....something our recruiters seem to have not noticed when they drafted him...

...give me and the kid a break ffs......what i have seen of him...and it's not much..i was impressed....whilst not in the same league as you as a judge of fine footy flesh.....i saw a glimmer of talent...but i, like our recruiters must have all been wrong.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Just an opinion..and and unlike some two bob experts on here..Im more than happy for you to bookmark that comment and throw it back in my face when he plays his first blinder :D

I shall eat humble pie and buy you a slice :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:Sippos is miles off being a 100 game player.
In fact 98 games.
Here is hoping.
This time last season we were all singing Stanleys praises now people see development is crucial.
errrr were we?

Look big blokes take longer etc etc but I think Arryn's had more influence in two games than Stanley has had in a dozen. If Rhys does make it he'll be gold, cos he can run like the wind and thats numero uno important in big blokes these days...but right now hes pushed aside in contests and runs to wrong areas too often

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would you like me to bring up a you tube clip called 'rhys stanley, the next big thing'

Some are really going over the top about arryn, let the boy be..... I hope he continues to go well, but its early

Kosi was great in 01
X was Looking the good in 02
Mini showed a lot in 05, as did Raph
Beetham, begley good early
Goose was terrific in 04
Ball finished third in tne b&f in 04, won it in 05, was captain in 06....
Jack steven looked great early

A lot can happen in a career

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Harsh reality is that 'apprenticeships' have hurt us. Look at Beams, Sidebottom, Toovey, Blair etc at the Pies, as much as I hate them, did they do the RL 'apprenticeship'? RL has to have faith in the kids, and thats more than playing them in a game or two, ala, Sweeney, Archer, Lynch, Miles, Stanley, he has to pick the kids, and have faith in them. If we carry a few kids, then far out, its not as bad as carrying Clarke, Peake, Kozi and the likes of experienced players.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A bad young player, always trumps a bad older player.....

St Igmata
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
In fact 98 games.
Here is hoping.
errrr were we?

Look big blokes take longer etc etc but I think Arryn's had more influence in two games than Stanley has had in a dozen. If Rhys does make it he'll be gold, cos he can run like the wind and thats numero uno important in big blokes these days...but right now hes pushed aside in contests and runs to wrong areas too often
Perspective.

He hasnt had the blow torch applied and he will.
He will be challenged mentally and physically.
How he responds will determine who he will be of course.

A few years ago we had a late draft pick also a suburban small Coleman , a smoky still the Thomas years. (Name escapes me)
Just never kicked on.

Development is crucial and so is attitude.

But dont expect much for three seasons.
It's how it works.

Let the kid just develop without the load of the clubs woes on his narrow shoulders .

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

In fact 98 games.
Here is hoping.
Timing is EVERYTHING with young guys. Sippos is still pretty skinny and won't be able to take too many hits that will invariably come his way. Its up to the Development guys, the coaches and the conditioning guys to monitor him closely and make sure that they (and he) don't over-step the mark. Also, the sub rule can be used as a development tool as well. I like how we used Cripps as the sub this week !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Arryn is a natural and I don't think the hype will get to him. He doesn't seem to be the ego some of these young blokes portray. Takes a mark, walks back and kicks a goal, it's that easy. I love watching footy stripped back to the fundamentals.
This kid is fundamentally a footballer.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart's post about Sippo from draft day from this thread http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... bba6a83dcf
From the same school as Milney.....until he went to Hallam sports school in Y11

Could play as a Mid as a 13-15yo....then grew about 4 inches in a year to 6'1 and switched to FF in U16 where he kicked 90 odd goals for Beacy....grew another inch as he went to stingrays and played as a high fwd capable of using his exc kicking to advantage either kicking 55m goals or hitting leads...he is a beautiful kick on either side..

His strength as a young junior were his evasive skills (which is why Ross spoke about his ability to turn players inside out) very competative one on one and very courageous...kicking (as I said) and clean hands...

He was clearly the best sportsman in his year level (played cricket/footy/basketball) and in the best few on district sports days (hald a dozen schools)....a good allrounder...

He is a atheletic rather than thick build. Not an overly strong player/hard player but more in the reiwoldt style with eyes on the ball and clean hands and works hard.

He has talent.....lives for sport and generally listened well....

has some draw backs, which hopefully will be ironed out...

His attitude is interesting....a mixed bag.....one minute you think he is the best kid going around, then you see something that makes you think otherwise...

Had a habit of dropping his head and sulking if things were not going right, and he was getting beaten, he also critisised his team-mates when the stuffed up or cost him. But in doing so, never stopped trying when he had to compete. A bit selfish sometimes....hopefully he has changed some of these things.

Overall, I am a little surprised he got picked up....played OK without dominating TAC cup/Champs....is an in between size....and a couple of other ???'s

but he has tools....and it was his dream to be an AFL footballer....so the desire should be there

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
attila_Siposs
Club Player

marto your a DICK

Mr martin or as you like to call yourself BIGMART. You are a dick you have no idea about arryn. he has improved in many ways as a player and a man. the reason he improved is because we got him away from you you dick. He has never played a game of 2nd division football. he played in two premierships with beaconsfield u/16's in the second pemiership against berwick he played on a kid that was named all Australian u/16 at the national carnival and towled him up. he didn't kick 99 goals by arse. You need to pull your head in and hope like hell you don't cross my path. I have been reading your posts for the last month. And by the way stupid I know him better than you as I'm his DAD :idea:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: marto your a DICK

attila_Siposs wrote:Mr martin or as you like to call yourself BIGMART. You are a dick you have no idea about arryn. he has improved in many ways as a player and a man. the reason he improved is because we got him away from you you dick. He has never played a game of 2nd division football. he played in two premierships with beaconsfield u/16's in the second pemiership against berwick he played on a kid that was named all Australian u/16 at the national carnival and towled him up. he didn't kick 99 goals by arse. You need to pull your head in and hope like hell you don't cross my path. I have been reading your posts for the last month. And by the way stupid I know him better than you as I'm his DAD :idea:
Way to go dad :)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well hello Dad :)

I have really enjoyed watching your son play, I especially love his composure, you just can't teach that.

As BS says, he believes he is going to kick the goal, and he kicks the goal.

Some of his instictive play shows me he is capable of CHF long term, both in setting up goals, and his accuracy from further out.

I also really like the raised arm goal celebration.
Last edited by SainterK on Mon 16 May 2011 10:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: marto your a DICK

attila_Siposs wrote:Mr martin or as you like to call yourself BIGMART. You are a dick you have no idea about arryn. he has improved in many ways as a player and a man. the reason he improved is because we got him away from you you dick. He has never played a game of 2nd division football. he played in two premierships with beaconsfield u/16's in the second pemiership against berwick he played on a kid that was named all Australian u/16 at the national carnival and towled him up. he didn't kick 99 goals by arse. You need to pull your head in and hope like hell you don't cross my path. I have been reading your posts for the last month. And by the way stupid I know him better than you as I'm his DAD :idea:
I have met your son a few times and he seems like a nice kid and dont take this the wrong way, you will do your head in if you come on here expecting all positive stuff. i often disagre with BM but he hasnt really had many goes at your son. I would suggest for your sanity you dont read posts on this site as it will only upset you.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
stinger wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Just an opinion..and and unlike some two bob experts on here..Im more than happy for you to bookmark that comment and throw it back in my face when he plays his first blinder :D

I shall eat humble pie and buy you a slice :-)
If you didn't say is Saintsau66 I would have.

Agreed. If he makes it, f****** super. But at this stage that's what I think.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

[quote="dcstkfc"]BigMart's post about Sippo from draft day from this thread http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... bba6a83dcf [quote]

Classic P66. Classic. :lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.