Your thoughts on Faz

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Lenny = legend
Club Player

Your thoughts on Faz

I'm curious to see what people think of Farren Ray.

IMO he's a very talented footballer (ie marks strongly, generally makes good decisions and has good foot skills & pace) but goes missing most weeks. I know he's been ill recently but I'm referring to the last year or so. I tend to forget he's playing, which is strange for someone who plays mostly as an outside midfielder. Similarly, he is relatively rarely mentioned on here.

Is he not given enough opportunity to impose himself on games or doesn't he work hard enough to get more of the ball?

sainter#4
Club Player

problem with ray is that he doesnt will himself to contests to get enough of the ball.

and that he isnt damaging often enough with it, whether its because he takes too long to dispose of it or because often he doesnt take the initiative to create play rather dish it to someone else and let them be responsible for it

saintjake
Club Player

sainter#4 wrote:problem with ray is that he doesnt will himself to contests to get enough of the ball.

and that he isnt damaging often enough with it, whether its because he takes too long to dispose of it or because often he doesnt take the initiative to create play rather dish it to someone else and let them be responsible for it
How can you say he doesnt "will" himself to contests. thats like assuming he goes out there not caring if they win or lose

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Your thoughts on Faz

Lenny = legend wrote:I'm curious to see what people think of Farren Ray.

IMO he's a very talented footballer (ie marks strongly, generally makes good decisions and has good foot skills & pace) but goes missing most weeks. I know he's been ill recently but I'm referring to the last year or so. I tend to forget he's playing, which is strange for someone who plays mostly as an outside midfielder. Similarly, he is relatively rarely mentioned on here.

Is he not given enough opportunity to impose himself on games or doesn't he work hard enough to get more of the ball?
After missing the last two games through illness he certainly looked pretty flat to me today.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

After missing the last two games through illness he certainly looked pretty flat to me today.
Too much planking.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Too much planking.
:D

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He was well down today. Disappointing. Illness can't be considered an excuse.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:He was well down today. Disappointing. Illness can't be considered an excuse.
No it can't be an excuse, but it could be a reason.

Presumably he breezed through training though.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's ok. Not great, but a good bottom six player to have. Unfortunately we have many more than 6 players worse than him.

Lenny = legend
Club Player

He seems like the type that needs a permanent role and responsibility to thrive.

I like him on a wing and I'd just encourage him to take the game on more.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Plays outside, but would probably be better suited to a tagging role.

Decent pace, good dual sided kick, and good contested Mark.

Looked flat today, even in the first quarter (rushed back?)

Humility seems to be the biggest problem. His approach seems to be that someone better could be doing this, rather than someone like Montagna, who's pretty much thinking I'm the best man for the job, even when he's not.

Both approaches have drawbacks. Ray misses opportunities that others would snap up, while Joey sees things that aren't there. Fisher's probably the best in our team at combining conservatism with attack.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3 weeks ago he was a god in some eyes and now he is no good at all. I love it when people have a go at reporters for changing their mind weekly. We do it more than them as probably people from every club do. The point is he was never a star and never no good. He just plays well sometimes and bad other times which will always make him an average footballer. Someone even had him as a vice captain 3 games ago.

One week Kosi thread saying great player, next week hack. One week Ben has arrived, next week hack.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Average player who goes missing in big games.

Fantastic mark. Poor kick.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Probably lacked a bit of energy after pneumonia, but as an onballer, like most of our mids and onballers in recent history, they don't play deep enough in the forward line or kick enough goals

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Goes okay, Faz.

Pneumonia can't help.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ray has always been the most overrated player on this forum.

Rarely has good games in big games

Very inconsistent

Good games are too far apart and too few

People really tend to dwell on the few good things he does a game

SinCitySaint
Club Player

Good ordinary player and the sort of player that all sides need. Not a match winner but will play to the best of his abilities and has reasonable skills to go with it. Far from our worst player.