2012 Starts now

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

2012 Starts now

Starts right now. We review the list, the gameplan, the leadership group and the coaching staff right now.

We put together a new gameplan and a recruiting strategy. We manage senior players workload. We dont play people that arent in the 2012 plan. We give young players that are in the 2012 plan maximum game time.
We practice the new game plan. And we start planning the preseason. We finish up in August so that gives us 6 months after that.

So far only chips and siposs are locks for 2012. Everyone else is in the grey area or the definite gone.

Baker and Blake gone. Give them a farewell game in round 20 or whatever.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I agree. As I mentioned in another thread, the best case scenario now is that 2011 is like 2007.

With all but the second last sentence of course, the team still has to be built around Riewoldt, Goddard, Dal Santo but with a greater focus on youth than in 2007.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2012 Starts now

Con Gorozidis wrote:Starts right now. We review the list, the gameplan, the leadership group and the coaching staff right now.

We put together a new gameplan and a recruiting strategy. We manage senior players workload. We dont play people that arent in the 2012 plan. We give young players that are in the 2012 plan maximum game time.
We practice the new game plan. And we start planning the preseason. We finish up in August so that gives us 6 months after that.

So far only chips and siposs are locks for 2012. Everyone else is in the grey area or the definite gone.

Why Siposs and Fisher? May as well say no one is a lock. Anyway 2012 isnt an option. Seriously our supporters have to know we are going to be waiting until at least 2016 to have a crack at the flag again.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sun 15 May 2011 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterX
Club Player

Might pay to offer up a few of our experienced players to GWS for some of their high draft picks, win-win, we get the next gen of players to represent us, and they get some leadership :D

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Totally agree, write this year off, try the kids go back and review that bloody awful game plan and get rid of-
No man on man especially in the back line
Stop going to the boundary line at all cost
Stop kicking into contested marking situations where it's not one on one but one outnumbered by five when trying to mark and goes into a turnover
And look to the centre corridor as the quickest home to our goal
And if we're really lucky Nick or Kosi can stay within the 50 m arc with strict instructions of stand there and the rest of the team will kick the ball far in.

It's been a long hard 2001 (already) but honestly I thought excluding the first quarter, that was an even worse than against Carlton.

Everything seemed to be going well until quarter time and then they retreated into the shells because I suspect they were told to go back to their "processes" and their "roles"

I'm over roles and processes, they aint working :evil:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

100% agree! I'm calling it also. I expect nothing this season. Absolute let-down.

Hopefully the club can give us something to believe in this season, and then start talking about record membership numbers. This year has been all talk, no performance (bar a few players).

I'm in grave fear of the GCS coming in and giving as a flogging!! The bloody hole we're sitting in at the moment is frightfully dark, but by god it could even be darker. Wooden spoon candidate this season? I hope and pray we're not as crap as what I witnessed today.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Starts right now. We review the list, the gameplan, the leadership group and the coaching staff right now.

Why Siposs and Fisher? May as well say no one is a lock. Anyway 2012 isnt an option. Seriously our supporters have to know we are going to be waiting until at least 2016 to have a crack at the flag again.
cos siposs is extremely young and has shown glimpses and fisher is our only decent player.

as for 2012 - geelongs performance this year has given me some hope that can we have one last crack in 2012 with dal, roo, bj, lenny, fisher, joey as the core 6 gun players if they can get their minds and bodies refreshed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

cos siposs is extremely young and has shown glimpses and fisher is our only decent player.

as for 2012 - geelongs performance this year has given me some hope that can we have one last crack in 2012 with dal, roo, bj, lenny, fisher, joey as the core 6 gun players.

Sorry but Geelong doesnt give me any hope. Firstly they won 2 flags and secondly they havent finished lower than 3rd in the last four years.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

as for 2012 - geelongs performance this year has given me some hope that can we have one last crack in 2012 with dal, roo, bj, lenny, fisher, joey as the core 6 gun players.

Sorry but Geelong doesnt give me any hope. Firstly they won 2 flags and secondly they havent finished lower than 3rd in the last four years.
im trying to be positive. they did get poleaxed by the pies in last years finals and their core group is pretty old. so im holding on that thread of hope.

sasaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Don't agree P66. Methinks that 2013 is possible. With compromised draft in 2012 it will be difficult but Suns and GWS will be looking for some older heads and I for one would be willing to trade some quality players for some young fast and in and under midfielders out of the draft in 2012. The big risk is that we don't have a good ruck. I hope either McEvoy or Archer start to develop as 1st line rucks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

forget archer unless he grows 2 inches more .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Don't agree P66. Methinks that 2013 is possible. With compromised draft in 2012 it will be difficult but Suns and GWS will be looking for some older heads and I for one would be willing to trade some quality players for some young fast and in and under midfielders out of the draft in 2012. The big risk is that we don't have a good ruck. I hope either McEvoy or Archer start to develop as 1st line rucks.
In 2013 we probably will not have Milney and Lenny. Rooy will be past his best as maybe Joey and dal will be. BJ will not be better and even if a younger player or two come on they aill be no where near replacing those guys.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

But we will have Stanley, Archer, SIIIIPPPPOOOOSSSSS and Johnson.

We have to give them at least some semblance of the benefit of our optimism, Plugger.

Roo's a one in a generation player, but in the future we might get two who can share the load more than adequately between them.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
felixleo
Club Player

Put them on pay for play. Win your position or reach a level of match statistics you get paid otherwise centerlink.

Are you gonna be the one?
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Today's result will FORCE the Club to re-assess for 2012 and beyond.

We have 15 games left to see what the young guys can do and who we should move on.

I hope that the Club invests in extra "recruiters" immediately, because that's where the priority lies. :roll:

sasaint
Club Player

2012 Plan

Roo and BJ immediately find that they need minor surgery that unfortunately has them on the long term injury list to year end. (2012 starts with Roo, BJ and Lenny in perfect shape for Round 1)

Promote Walsh and see how he goes up forward.
Play the kids.

Trade for draft picks with GWS and Suns. Fast and in and under midfielders a priority. Quality needs to be offered for trade, of the stature of Dal Santo, Gram…

Last year for Baker, Raph, Gardiner. Thanks for the meories.

Give Ross Lyon a pay rise… don’t let him be poached or walk. Look at refreshing the assistant coaching panel.
:) :wink:

thequarry
Club Player

Well should they at least turn things around (somehow, and incredibly) next week against Melbourne, the "2012 starts now" approach might be put on ice and the season further in limbo (though at the lower end). I bring that up because Melbourne is theoretically the easier of the horror fixture run we're in at the moment (if you're a great team, then it shouldn't matter who you play or when).

I talk about it a bit more in the match report at Red, White and Black:http://www.redwhiteandblack.com.au/2011 ... nthusiasm/

Either way, this is a great opportunity to get decent gametime into the younger players before next season - a best-case scenario would be enough talent to support the core enough for a half-decent challenge in 2012 or 2013...but that's best-case, obviously.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Gone as in delisted and afl careers over
Baker, Blake,mcqualter, Clarke, dumpster, kosi

Gilbert up for trade, need someone who knows how to kick a football. Only one with trade value.

Keep
Dal santo, riewoldt, Goddard, montagna, fisher, sippos, armitage, Hayes, gwilt, Schneider, Milne.

We need to start recruiting players who know how to take the game on .who know how to grab the footy run, bust through the lines with leg speed, and who can kick the afl shaped football with smarts and accuracy.

I think with a lot of luck in the preseason, ie getting the list rejuvinated, we can indeed have another crack next year.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Nicky Winmore

Well said Con hope the powers that be are listening

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Gone as in delisted and afl careers over

Dempster was one if our few 4 quarter players today.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The harsh reality is that the Geelong game is about the only game where we have delivered a reasonable effort.

While we surged late in the Blues game we went missing way to long.

We have been dreadful...this year. No point trying to pretend any longer. 2011 is gone.

....so the No 1 focus now needs to be 2012 and beyond. If it happens to resuscitate a flagging saints this year well and good.

But lets get games into our youth...and sift through all the possibles.

Those not a reasonable chance to be part of 2012 and beyond need to play out the year at Sandi..or retire.

In playing at Sandi though must not impede the development of our youth and fringe.

ie Walsh should play as a key defender...and not Blake..

In blooding and testing players we need to accept that some may be below par. But say 10 games may improve them greatly.

Lets try new players..or in different roles. Now not all next week, but over the course of the rest of the year.

Give Stanley series of games as No 1 ruck.

Try Smith as the BP to replace Bakes.

Give Johnno, post concussion another series of games (assuming he is fit to play that is).

Archer to FF.

Lets have a look at Walsh at some stage.

Ledger on the ball.

Lynch gets another crack.

Sadly we don't have enough mids to try....for the midfield is where we are getting smashed.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Dempster was awful today, utterly awful. His amount of direct turn overs for Hawk goals was embarrassing - slow mo decision making, treacle run and carry and the amount of times he hung on to the ball only to have it half smothered for a turn over left me shaking my head.

This guy is in the side cause Ross likes him - nothing more.

IF Lynch can't come in and at least break even (minus the turn overs) of a Dempster I'll go hee.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Dempster was awful today, utterly awful. His amount of direct turn overs for Hawk goals was embarrassing - slow mo decision making, treacle run and carry and the amount of times he hung on to the ball only to have it half smothered for a turn over left me shaking my head.

This guy is in the side cause Ross likes him - nothing more.

IF Lynch can't come in and at least break even (minus the turn overs) of a Dempster I'll go hee.
Did you get to the game today because he was easily in our best 6. Sometimes people need to watch the game and not remember the name.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:Sadly we don't have enough mids to try....for the midfield is where we are getting smashed.
That's not for a lack of talent, although having both Lenny and Joey out hurt us today.

We may have as many as 5 serviceable mids out of last year's draft... and the club strategy of going for talls when the rest of the league were drafting mids, and then vice versa seems sound. But who could have imagined we'd need them so soon?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

We may have as many as 5 serviceable mids out of last year's draft... ?
Our last draft looks our best for a while. But for all 5 to make it as mids would be optimistic....but hey we are all getting pretty depressed and desperate right now.

We are bad at present, but not as bad as we are as some like BJ will get better....but yes we need for some of our younsgters to become players in 2012/13.