Half Full

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Half Full

I can't help but think we (supporters) are panicking and perhaps jumping at shadows.

If we can be competitive against Geelong, Richmond and Carlton whilst being as horribly out of form and reliant on missing players as we are - then perhaps things aren't that bad.

Mid to long term I mean. Obviously short term we're screwed as this season is a third gone already.

But Roo has been ordinary this year, ditto BJ, and our skill level has been horrible. Lenny isn't even playing, we don't have a ruckman at all, we've been belted in clearances, tackles, contested posession and pretty much every important stat! And when we do get the pill forward, we can't kick straight.

But....we're incredibly close to being 4-2 (could even clutch a bit and say we should have beaten Adelaide and be 5-1), and we've blooded 3 decent looking youngsters.

So is the future (late this year, next year and beyond) as bleak and ugly as everyone thinks?

I'm not so sure.

I reckon the glass is half full.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The future is not bleak at all. This year's gone, baring a miracle, but plenty to look forward to next year. Some good kids coming through this year and the core of experienced guns will still be there and Lenny will be back.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Half Full

Johnny Member wrote:I can't help but think we (supporters) are panicking and perhaps jumping at shadows.

If we can be competitive against Geelong, Richmond and Carlton whilst being as horribly out of form and reliant on missing players as we are - then perhaps things aren't that bad.

Mid to long term I mean. Obviously short term we're screwed as this season is a third gone already.

But Roo has been ordinary this year, ditto BJ, and our skill level has been horrible. Lenny isn't even playing, we don't have a ruckman at all, we've been belted in clearances, tackles, contested posession and pretty much every important stat! And when we do get the pill forward, we can't kick straight.

But....we're incredibly close to being 4-2 (could even clutch a bit and say we should have beaten Adelaide and be 5-1), and we've blooded 3 decent looking youngsters.

So is the future (late this year, next year and beyond) as bleak and ugly as everyone thinks?

I'm not so sure.

i was arguing along similar lines to a couple of carscum supporters at my gym this morning....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a good point.

We will hopefully improve as the season progresses. If we do not win this week, we can kiss the 8 goodbye. We win and we are still a shot for finals IMO.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You don't kiss the eight goodbye until it's mathematically impossible.

I reckon the boys would of kissed top four goodbye in 2008 :wink:

BallBanger
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:The future is not bleak at all. This year's gone, baring a miracle, but plenty to look forward to next year. Some good kids coming through this year and the core of experienced guns will still be there and Lenny will be back.
So how are we off for tall backs/forwards rucks midfielders quick forwards
small defenders with pace

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Re: Half Full

Johnny Member wrote:I can't help but think we (supporters) are panicking and perhaps jumping at shadows.

I'm not so sure.

Thanks Harf,

I agree, IMO we are still a chance to do some damage in September.

All the external expectations are gone, we can go on our merry way, win 12 H & A games and be primed for the finals.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Near enough aint good enough- we have 1.5 wins and until we get four quarters out of our bigger names it will stay that way for quite a while.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:The future is not bleak at all. This year's gone, baring a miracle, but plenty to look forward to next year. Some good kids coming through this year and the core of experienced guns will still be there and Lenny will be back.
My thinking too.

It may sound trite, but like it or not this is shaping as a season we needed to have...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely! We are far from gone. Sure, we can all exhale on the idea of winning a flag this year, but I feel the team may have just started to turn the corner in finding some form.

We just need the obvious two players to wake from their slumber and we'll be a good show against most teams in the comp.

Next year should bring plenty of promise. RL will mastermind a new startegy, we'll trim the deadwood from the list and get some useful acqiusitions to boot.

Things are pretty far from looking grim, IMO.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I don't think the year's gone! maybe top 2 is gone, but we could get on a roll...the draw in the second half of the season is soft!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
Ruck is the only major problem I see. Plenty of youngsters eager to take up the other roles.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Next year should bring plenty of promise. RL will mastermind a new startegy, we'll trim the deadwood from the list and get some useful acqiusitions to boot.
I think he has already. Well, at least I think he's tinkered with what we already had. I believe this is the main reason for our awkward looking play.

I'd like to think that within a month or so, we may start to see it working more smoothly and more consistently.

Combine that with the other things I mentioned in the OP, and this group may still have a pulse after all!

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:You don't kiss the eight goodbye until it's mathematically impossible.

The five best and worst syllables in the world.

Best because they make me believe that we still have a chance to turn the season around which means I don't have to just give up all hope on 2011

Worst for the same reason.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I don't care about the eight, premiership is the only thing, big seal if you just make the 8, I'm sure the Bulldogs are happy because they made the eight the last few years.
Our chance at a premiership for this year is gone, so spend the rest of it gearing up for a real crack at it next year, give us a real chance to see who is worth keeping and who isn't.
I just don't want to make the eight, that's simply not good enough anymore.
Funny thing though, if we had won last year, we wouldn't be so depressed about this season so far, we would all be saying who cares we won the damn thing last year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
Ruck is the only major problem I see. Plenty of youngsters eager to take up the other roles.
Not if Stanley actually does what was planned for.

Digit. Extract. Forthwith.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I agree with that 100%

Kinda getting resigned to the fact that we may just be reloading this year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
noob
Club Player

good time to change the game plan now or tweak it or whatever so its ready to go by next year (or little changes necessary).

widereceiver
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote: Ruck is the only major problem I see. Plenty of youngsters eager to take up the other roles.
i think midfield in and unders are light on, especially ones who can score.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
suss
Club Player

The biggest problem I see is keeping the draft picks to pick up good kids while snaring a quality ruck man at the same time. Maybe we could get an older ruck man at a cheaper price but it's our biggest deficiency that must be addressed before next year. I can't see Stanley or McEvoy stepping up to the degree required to win a flag in 2012.

Furphy
Club Player

SainterK wrote:You don't kiss the eight goodbye until it's mathematically impossible.

When people start quoting "mathematically possible" the year's over

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

What about mathematically sipossible ?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:What about mathematically sipossible ?
Is that sipossed to be a joke?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

si !

saintly
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote: Ruck is the only major problem I see. Plenty of youngsters eager to take up the other roles.
i think midfield in and unders are light on, especially ones who can score.
fast runners like a garlett, would be helpful. Milne is getting older, and we need to begin to replace him.