I almost feel sorry for Hawthorn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Birdman
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:twirly - are you a Muslim?

Good luck getting support on this forum!
Definitely has my support. It's easy to say racism is "just joking" when you're not on the receiving end. It's easy to laugh off racism when you are not the minority being stereotyped.

And btw - I'm not a Muslim. I'm Jewish.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

twirlyhair wrote: Your ignorance is not the only offensive aspect of your response. But more about that shortly. To spell it out for you (and clearly others), the use of the word Jihad with Etihad stadium is seen as offensive by Muslims as it is a unfair and divisive 'throw away' line that only further stereotypes people or organisations that are identified as Muslim. Consider the Muslim kids that attend Saints games and hear you saying Jihad stadium. As a father how would you respond to your child when this is asked? And why not take it further and label the Pies as Jihad Collingwood? (Major sponsor Emirates), or walk into Crazy Johns and say 'Jihad Jihad' because the founder was Muslim? But back to your original premise in your thread. Quote ..'And please...we are allowed to say 'jihad' in a jocular context surely.' This is the most insidious aspect of bigotry as it works on the basis that those who are offensive get to decide whether it is offensive or not. Much like the racists who continually abused players like Nicky Winmar and then would say 'but I'm just joking around', your beliefs belong to times past.
Well your entire post is ignorant and offensive. Another PC flog trying to find offense and intent to cause same, where none exists.
The reason "jihad" is not used in reference to Emirates or Crazy John's or anything else is because it doesn't rhyme as it does with Etihad. And the original intent of the reference was to demonstrate feelings of disassociation brought about by yet more corporate "branding" and name changing.

Example:

"where is the game this weekend?"
"It's at Jihad Stadium or whatever it's called this week"

Did you look to defend the sensitivities of Wizards or the Chinese when the same premise was used to deride the name of the pre-season competition? Because in response to having a new corporate name for that competition every season, people started referring to it as the Wizard Wok (influenced by the trophy shape, not a racist hatred of Chinese people).

Lose the pious, holier than thou attitude and stop lecturing long enough and you may learn something and have some fun.

twirlyhair
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
twirlyhair wrote: Your ignorance is not the only offensive aspect of your response. But more about that shortly. To spell it out for you (and clearly others), the use of the word Jihad with Etihad stadium is seen as offensive by Muslims as it is a unfair and divisive 'throw away' line that only further stereotypes people or organisations that are identified as Muslim. Consider the Muslim kids that attend Saints games and hear you saying Jihad stadium. As a father how would you respond to your child when this is asked? And why not take it further and label the Pies as Jihad Collingwood? (Major sponsor Emirates), or walk into Crazy Johns and say 'Jihad Jihad' because the founder was Muslim? But back to your original premise in your thread. Quote ..'And please...we are allowed to say 'jihad' in a jocular context surely.' This is the most insidious aspect of bigotry as it works on the basis that those who are offensive get to decide whether it is offensive or not. Much like the racists who continually abused players like Nicky Winmar and then would say 'but I'm just joking around', your beliefs belong to times past.
Well your entire post is ignorant and offensive. Another PC flog trying to find offense and intent to cause same, where none exists.
The reason "jihad" is not used in reference to Emirates or Crazy John's or anything else is because it doesn't rhyme as it does with Etihad. And the original intent of the reference was to demonstrate feelings of disassociation brought about by yet more corporate "branding" and name changing.

Example:

Did you look to defend the sensitivities of Wizards or the Chinese when the same premise was used to deride the name of the pre-season competition? Because in response to having a new corporate name for that competition every season, people started referring to it as the Wizard Wok (influenced by the trophy shape, not a racist hatred of Chinese people).

Lose the pious, holier than thou attitude and stop lecturing long enough and you may learn something and have some fun.
So if it rhymes it is ok to be offensive????? How convenient.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: So if it rhymes it is ok to be offensive????? How convenient.
No it's not OK to be offensive, but who determnined that the word Jihad is offensive or racist? You? Who annointed you as the keeper of communal standards.

It is a simple word, it is not derogatory, and has no derisory implications or descriptors of a person contained within. It is a word meaning "holy war". In fact it's true meaning as I understand, is to describe one's inner battle with one's faith, and it has been loosely translated as holy war !!

So again, seeing as you have taken it upon yourself to lecture others on what they can or cannot say, I ask you, who determined the word jihad to be offensive and racist and why?

Perhaps you direct your enthusiasm for intervention towards a worthwhile cause that is genuinely offensive, such as bonded child labour in third world countries, or unnecesary abject poverty and subjugation for huge numbers of people in Africa.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
No it's not OK to be offensive, but who determnined that the word Jihad is offensive or racist? You? Who annointed you as the keeper of communal standards.

It is a simple word, it is not derogatory, and has no derisory implications or descriptors of a person contained within. It is a word meaning "holy war". In fact it's true meaning as I understand, is to describe one's inner battle with one's faith, and it has been loosely translated as holy war !!

So again, seeing as you have taken it upon yourself to lecture others on what they can or cannot say, I ask you, who determined the word jihad to be offensive and racist and why?

Perhaps you direct your enthusiasm for intervention towards a worthwhile cause that is genuinely offensive, such as bonded child labour in third world countries, or unnecesary abject poverty and subjugation for huge numbers of people in Africa.
I think your nickname, True Believer, is an offensive swipe at people who do actually believe in a deity and that you reduce their holy journey to some kind of sporting analogy is just plain insensitive.

I'm joking, of course

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

True Believer wrote:

Example:

+ 1

twirlyhair
Club Player

True Believer wrote:

Seems like i have struck a nerve with you. You see it is actually you, not me who is determining that this is offensive or not. And that is my point. Too often the perpetrator gets to decide whether something is offensive or not. Your description of Jihad whilst accurate is also naive. Jihad is now clearly associated with terrorists, and terrorists are associated with Muslims and Arabs. For some not offensive, for other clearly it is. Any by the way, I wouldn't get on an Etihad flight and start calling out 'I'm flying with Jihad'. It wouldn't go down to well.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Seems like i have struck a nerve with you. You see it is actually you, not me who is determining that this is offensive or not. And that is my point. Too often the perpetrator gets to decide whether something is offensive or not. Your description of Jihad whilst accurate is also naive.
bulls***. You're back-peddling becuase I called you out on your control-freak PC dogma.

From your own post:

"Your ignorance is not the only offensive aspect of your response. But more about that shortly. To spell it out for you (and clearly others), the use of the word Jihad with Etihad stadium is seen as offensive by Muslims "

Your words. They are only words, and only have power if people give them power by cowering fearfully from them and refusing to stand and argue in the face of a lie. You lied. You said the word Jihad is racist and offensive. Instead of being fearful of being labelled racist, I opted to confront you on the lie you told and share the real meanning of the word and ask for an explanation of how that is offensive or racist.

Instead you have now come back and contradicted yourself and demonstrated that your agenda was not to stamp out bigotry but to impose your will on the behaviour of another in the name of a injustice that is actually entirely fabricated by you.

Birdman
Club Player

Bull****.

Jihad is not a racist word, but the way you have used it is. Let's break it down:

Etihad is an Arab airline - True.
All Arabs are Muslim - False, but exactly the sort of generalization that is the basis for racism.
All Muslims are associated with Jihad.
Therefore Jihad is a good substitute for Etihad, as long as we are willing to make gross generalizations.

If it was a British airline called Galahad, I doubt anyone would call it Jihad, despite the fact that it rhymes.

Clear enough?

twirlyhair
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
twirlyhair wrote: Seems like i have struck a nerve with you. You see it is actually you, not me who is determining that this is offensive or not. And that is my point. Too often the perpetrator gets to decide whether something is offensive or not. Your description of Jihad whilst accurate is also naive.
bulls***. You're back-peddling becuase I called you out on your control-freak PC dogma.

From your own post:

"Your ignorance is not the only offensive aspect of your response. But more about that shortly. To spell it out for you (and clearly others), the use of the word Jihad with Etihad stadium is seen as offensive by Muslims "

Your words. They are only words, and only have power if people give them power by cowering fearfully from them and refusing to stand and argue in the face of a lie. You lied. You said the word Jihad is racist and offensive. Instead of being fearful of being labelled racist, I opted to confront you on the lie you told and share the real meanning of the word and ask for an explanation of how that is offensive or racist.

Instead you have now come back and contradicted yourself and demonstrated that your agenda was not to stamp out bigotry but to impose your will on the behaviour of another in the name of a injustice that is actually entirely fabricated by you.
Your over complicating things buddy. This is what I said ' Jihad is now clearly associated with terrorists, and terrorists are associated with Muslims and Arabs', So the point is, to repeat again, that some people would find this offensive (the use of the word Jihad) and of course some would not. To use this word in this context in a public forum is likely to offend some, and in a world in which division and isolation causes so many problems, your lack of sensitivity is not helpful.

jays
Club Player

so do i i think we will smash them

stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

From your own post:

good response...

.....aussies are irreverent....and can be offensive......i always refer to collingwood and it's supporters as the filth...and i sort of mean it where their ferals are concerned..but my best man is a collingwood supporter and someone i love and respect...but where footy is concerned.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: same with carscum and the bumbers....terms i use with malice...when i call jihad stadium ..well...jihad stadium...do i mean any offenve to any of my fellow australians...of course not ffs.....just the same as jihad jack called himself jihad...was he being offensive to himself and his fellow muslims.....i hardly think so.....so harden the f*** up sport....
Last edited by stinger on Thu 12 May 2011 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bozza1980
Club Player

Richter wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Unconvinced we can beat top six teams.
Eh?

Games against Carlton and Geelong that could have gone either way suggest differently Ev.

Admittedly we were flogged by the Bombers.

I'd say that we're no match for the pies either, but that we have a reasonable chance against both Hawthorn and Fremantle.
Very true, gave up the lead with 35 secs to go against the Cats and extremely late against the Blues too.

Hopefully the effort from Monday night is replicated this week against the Hawks as I think it's the level of effort required for us to start notching wins.

The eternal optimist in me sees us a big chance of winning 8 of our last 10, so the next 6 weeks decides our season contender or also ran either is still possible.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
Richter wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Unconvinced we can beat top six teams.
Eh?

Games against Carlton and Geelong that could have gone either way suggest differently Ev.

Admittedly we were flogged by the Bombers.

I'd say that we're no match for the pies either, but that we have a reasonable chance against both Hawthorn and Fremantle.
Very true, gave up the lead with 35 secs to go against the Cats and extremely late against the Blues too.

and more importantly...how long in gf1....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.