UnJudd Fines

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

UnJudd Fines

Chris Judd is the guilty party that started the melee.
The AFL fines him $3,000 for starting and participating in the melee.

So Judd gets fined less than 0.3% of his annual salary plus fake job payments.
He wont miss the $3,000.

Gilbert gets fined $1200 for defending himself.
His fine is far harsher than that of Judd because he does not get paid anything like Judd.

Even the other Carlton players fined for flying the Carlton flag copped a harsher penalty than Judd as they only get table scraps after Judd's salary.

Have I every suggested that the AFL is an abbreviation for ..........

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Seriously.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: UnJudd Fines

ace wrote:Chris Judd is the guilty party that started the melee.
The AFL fines Jeanie Pratt $3,000 for starting and participating in the melee.

So Judd gets fined less than 0.3% of his annual salary plus fake job payments.
She wont miss the $3,000.

Gilbert gets fined $1200 for defending himself.
His fine is far harsher than that of Judd because he does not get paid anything like Judd.

Even the other Carlton players fined for flying the Carlton flag copped a harsher penalty than Judd as they only get table scraps after Judd's salary.

Have I every suggested that the AFL is an abbreviation for ..........
Edited !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no ace has a fair point - afl fines, speeding fines, etc should be based on a proportion of the offender's salary so that they are an equal deterrent for all.
finland made news years ago for fining a businessman over $100,000 for speeding.
Essentially Judd is the least penalised.
IF the fine is meant to act as a deterrent then it needs to be proportional.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
goddardisgod
Club Player

Have always thought that fines should be a percentage of pay.

Take current fines. Do calculations with average wage to figure percentage.

Apply that fine instead of this uniformed piss head scheme.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:no ace has a fair point - afl fines, speeding fines, etc should be based on a proportion of the offender's salary so that they are an equal deterrent for all.
finland made news years ago for fining a businessman over $100,000 for speeding.
So unemployed dont get fined? What happens to self employed who hide money?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

an answer for everything.........

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:no ace has a fair point - afl fines, speeding fines, etc should be based on a proportion of the offender's salary so that they are an equal deterrent for all.
unemployed earn money - so yes they do get fined.
your second point is pretty irrellevant - do you use it as a basis for a flat tax argument?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought they were fining players a percentage of their match payments at one stage, or is that cricket?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
What have they got to do with footballers whose incomes are clearly visible in the ledger?

In these circs it makes perfect sense to 'proportionalise' fines.

If Judd and Cripps were front and centre, the penalties would be grossly unfairly proportioned.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
What have they got to do with footballers whose incomes are clearly visible in the ledger?

In these circs it makes perfect sense to 'proportionalise' fines.

If Judd and Cripps were front and centre, the penalties would be grossly unfairly proportioned.
Why should they get different fines if they do the exact same thing wrong just because the other player is better or earns more. Doesnt happen in to work places I would think or in the real world of fines and penalties.

Birdman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Why should they get different fines if they do the exact same thing wrong just because the other player is better or earns more. Doesnt happen in to work places I would think or in the real world of fines and penalties.
Because the fine is the way the penalty is administered. It is the penalty that is key. In order to penalise people the same, the fine should be proportional. As it stands, having the same fines means a greater penalty for those who earn less.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It's not an ordinary workplace. Far from it. I, for instance, don't draft my Employees. Nor does a regulator limit what I can pay them. Afl is a bubble predicated on the level playing field. Different principles can apply.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

borderbarry wrote:I thought they were fining players a percentage of their match payments at one stage, or is that cricket?
Cricket fines as a percentage of match payments rather than set amounts.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I thought they were fining players a percentage of their match payments at one stage, or is that cricket?
Cricket fines as a percentage of match payments rather than set amounts.
Excellent point :!:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

That would make contract negotiations even more complicated. Imagine the Paul Connors' of this world holding out for even more money just in case their player gets involved in a mellee. No thanks !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why should they get different fines if they do the exact same thing wrong just because the other player is better or earns more. Doesnt happen in to work places I would think or in the real world of fines and penalties.
They wouldn't get a different fine. They would be fined different dollar values but the fine would be the same.

If the AFL decrees that 5% is the fine rather than a dollar value then it is absolutely equal.

If the goal of the fine is to seriously deter someone from reoffending then a percentage based system would go closer to achieve the goal.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Well played, sir.

I agree entirely.

Fines should be based as a % of player's match payment.

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This thread is very funny. Firstly is the boot was on the other foot and Rooy for some reason started the fight then we would be saying the fines should all be the same and the silly Carlton people would be wanting some stupid fine system and secondly, does anyone honestly think that Judd should be fined around $30K for starting a silly melee.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:This thread is very funny. Firstly is the boot was on the other foot and Rooy for some reason started the fight then we would be saying the fines should all be the same and the silly Carlton people would be wanting some stupid fine system and secondly, does anyone honestly think that Judd should be fined around $30K for starting a silly melee.
No, if for no other reason than we would all be paying that much more for our packaging !!

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:This thread is very funny. Firstly is the boot was on the other foot and Rooy for some reason started the fight then we would be saying the fines should all be the same and the silly Carlton people would be wanting some stupid fine system and secondly, does anyone honestly think that Judd should be fined around $30K for starting a silly melee.
No, I wouldn't.

And whoever said 30K?!

It should be a fair % of each player's wage. That's it. It's fair. If it's a Saints player, why do I care if they're out of pocket. I only care about how they play on the field not their bank balance.

The Saints are coming!
Saints43
Club Player

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1759791.stm

Nokia boss gets record speeding fine

Anssi Vanjoki, 44, has been ordered to pay a fine of 116,000 euros ($103,600) after being caught breaking the speed limit...

In Finland, traffic fines are proportionate to the latest available data on an offender's income.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1759791.stm

Nokia boss gets record speeding fine

Anssi Vanjoki, 44, has been ordered to pay a fine of 116,000 euros ($103,600) after being caught breaking the speed limit...

In Finland, traffic fines are proportionate to the latest available data on an offender's income.
And in Australia we dont.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

True Blue Sainter wrote:
No, I wouldn't.

And whoever said 30K?!

It should be a fair % of each player's wage. That's it. It's fair. If it's a Saints player, why do I care if they're out of pocket. I only care about how they play on the field not their bank balance.
is there anything left that can be nit picked at?
what would you base this "proportional" based system?
match payments? You couldnt get that final figure till the end of the playing year.
Contracts? What about back ended contracts where the final year is loaded. Or the other way round with front loaded contracts. You cant base it on the total because a player one year into a contract might not see it out.
Contracts + endoursements? As in the case of judd?
I dont think there will be one player that would allow that sort of public revelation into their private earnings.
besides most clubs coteries reimburse the fines.

Seeya
westy
Club Player

Fines relevant to personal income sounds a bit sociocommunistic bourgeoisie bullshittish claptrap to me. Fine Juddles $10,000 for being a smart alec dickwad!

I'm livin' in a madhouse