To trade for a ruck or not to trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I say persist with Ben.

We should be looking at recruiting fast midfielders and another tall forward for the future.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
JohnMac

I think best to stay with Ben and Kosi and hope that Kosi stays fit. On Monday there were definite signs that Kosi could add real value. Stanley to stay in VFL and learn the business for future days

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Ben will make it BUT ?

Sainternist wrote:I say persist with Ben.

We should be looking at recruiting fast midfielders and another tall forward for the future.
Ben will make it as a ruckmen BUT it may take another couple years. This may be too long?

If the SAINTS can find a player like MUMFORD running around in the country that would be a great. However I dont think they should trade high draft picks for another ruckman, when we have Ben developing.

Our real need is ready to go top shelf midfielder/s who can go forward and kick a goal. Not much of an ask really but if a player were available perhaps we should go after them.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben will make it BUT ?

WinnersOnly wrote:

Ben will make it as a ruckmen BUT it may take another couple years. This may be too long?

If the SAINTS can find a player like MUMFORD running around in the country that would be a great. However I dont think they should trade high draft picks for another ruckman, when we have Ben developing.

Our real need is ready to go top shelf midfielder/s who can go forward and kick a goal. Not much of an ask really but if a player were available perhaps we should go after them.
Dont we have a salary cap? It is to late to trade because the window is just about shut. Lets just use our draft picks for a change.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

Dont we have a salary cap? It is to late to trade because the window is just about shut. Lets just use our draft picks for a change.
I dont disagree but there is going to be some special GWS 17 year olds and GC players looking about at their options. 50 players wont all make it at those clubs!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Don't think we need to trade for a superstar. Just a readymade, reliable player who we can count on to nullify the stars and beat the hacks. North, Brisbane and Sydney have too many rucks and most of them can play. See if we can get one of McIntosh, Seaby, Leuenberger, Pyke or Clark. All have played good footy as the main man and none of them would be too happy in their current situation. We really should have taken Giles or Robert Campbell last year though.
Why the hell would any of those players you mentioned get released or even worse how whould some of them help us? And Robert Campbell isnt even close to playing at Melbourne. He is a hack and who the hell is Giles. Sometime people live in fantasy land.
Clark was close to leaving last year, he doesn't look interested (along with many others) at Brisbane. Leuenberger is a talent but seems to have stalled. McIntosh is a class act who has fallen behind a gun in Goldstein and Petrie provides the second ruck option. There's no reason for him to stay at North hoping Goldstein gets injured. Seaby looks ordinary as a second ruck but when given the number one role he has performed well. Pyke is a huge, athletic player capable of getting 25 hitouts and 15 touches regularly, but is simply behind Mumford. The sub rule means that teams don't want to play two ruckmen, resulting in some quality players being stuck in the reserves because they're behind a gun.

Campbell or Giles both would cost us nothing and provided a solid backup option in case Gards and/or Kosi went down. Campbell is back playing but is backup for Jamar. Giles will be GWS's number one ruck next year

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i'm more pessimistic re ben - never shown the slightest bit of rucking ability - don't think he will ever develop into a number 1 ruckman.
it is our biggest priority as there is no one on our list that looks a chance.
pity, because ben is handy around the ground for a ruckman.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:

+1. If there is some 23 yo big unit running around out there with mumford like talent by all means get him. But dont spend any high picks on it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:None of those are any better than ben.....hence their current situation...

I reckon kosi could be one of the better #2 in the league.....
i think in a perfect right you are spot on big mart. but sheesh. with kosis ankle. we are one injury to big mac away from a pretty bare cupboard.
its a real tough issue though i agree. do u waste a list spot on one more backup ruckman? in the last 5 years we have lost gardi, gaertner, king, patto, mcgrath. and added mac and stanley. so thats a loss of 4-5 with 2 adds. so we are net down 2. so we have already adjusted the list to suit the sub rule anyway. i guess it depends on how kosis body stands up. we can make the call at seasons end.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:None of those are any better than ben.....hence their current situation...

I reckon kosi could be one of the better #2 in the league.....
i think in a perfect world you are spot on big mart. but sheesh. with kosis ankle. we are one injury to big mac away from a pretty bare cupboard.
its a real tough issue though i agree. do u waste a list spot on one more backup ruckman? in the last 5 years we have lost gardi, gaertner, king, patto, mcgrath. and added mac and stanley. so thats a loss of 4-5 with 2 adds. so we are net down 2. so we have already adjusted the list to suit the sub rule anyway. i guess it depends on how kosis body stands up. we can make the call at seasons end.

BallBanger
Club Player

jonesy wrote:King did us a lot in the 09 GF didn't he.
Ottens was barely a pinch hitter in the 09 finals,he was a cripple.
Blake was there ruckman,and a poor one at that

We've had a good history trading for ruckman. What did we give away for Brooks again? That was full of win. Imagine if those trades had of been used on midfielders

Let's fix the midfield
Agree..i'm sick of giving too much up for rucks who are very hit or miss...take the talls late and develop

goodie
Club Player

I say we have a look at the young units out at Geelong: Vardy, Simpson or West in that order.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah possibly one short...

As shown by archer rucking in the magoos......however only 3 rucment are now listed and not 4 as the team only requires 1

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:Ben will make it as a ruckmen BUT it may take another couple years. This may be too long?
More rucks are obviously part of the big picture, but what's the rush?

The window's closed. Now is the time we should be using our draft picks wisely - on youth - rather than frittering them away on other teams' discards.

After years of complaining about the club's trade decisions you would think this is what supporters want to see?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I am also not convinced Ben will ever be a tap ruckman....happy to have it wrong. Regardless, Archer IMO is not a ruck and Stanley size wise still looks 12 yrs away.....best get some cheap insurance IF possible without giving away our top picks.

“Yeah….nah””