MRP - Joey 1 game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Given that the contact was so slight that it would not have caused any further injury and also taking into account the Carlton Medical staff allowed Curnow back on to the field suggets that Montagna should have been given a reprimand.

If Curnow was so seriously injured why shouldn't the Carlton Medicos brought to account for allowing Curnow back on to the field???

The Carlton Medicos and coaching staff are extremely lucky that further damage was not caused to Curnow's shoulder by allowing him to return to the field.

They are the ones that should have been questioned and we should highlight their subsequent actions in allowing Curnow to return to the field in Joey's defence

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

FFS it was a stupid decision made in a split second. Got a week. Move on.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
saint66au wrote:Did Joey bump Curnow as he was originally coming off or after he returned to the field?
When he was initally running off the ground.. Kosi hit him when he returned
and did kozi get a week??

what a load of crap of a decision

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Any word on whether we are appealing? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Where does this 'removal of all physical contact' stop?

Joey's suspension is completely ludicrous, but the Richmond bloke getting 3 for a tackle is just totally mind boggling!!

When will it stop? What are the AFL trying to achieve long term?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What is the charge???

Was it because he was injured......if he was injured, why did doctors allow him back on.....if they couldnt determine if he was injured after examination, how could montagna determine it on the ground....

I suppose if baker can make those decisions due to his expert medical opinion, surey joey can....

Stretchered off, carried off...fair enough...

Was he even coming off????

First thing that should have happened when he came back on, is a massive bump.....

We could beat this charge with a common sense argument.....which was not applied last year.....so i dont expect the chumps working for us to do any better....
Totally agree, what next, players holding shoulders, limping etc so no one can contact them?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
saint66au wrote:Did Joey bump Curnow as he was originally coming off or after he returned to the field?

"Other Incidents Assessed:
Contact between St Kilda’s Justin Koschitzke and Carlton’s Ed Curnow from the first quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. The panel said that no contact was made by Koschitzke to the shoulder region that Curnow had previously damaged during the quarter. No further action was taken."
Kosi looks like he is lucky that he isnt smart and hit his good shoulder :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

LMAO

cant believe joey got a week

but the bloke was alright to get strapped up to the point where he couldnt move his entire arm and bring him back on the field
musta been a really bad injury diagnosed by the doctors

good lord suburban B grade footy is tougher than this over umpired/mrp looked at crap in afl

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Let me start by saying what Montagna did was stupid. He knew the Prince of Darkness and his evil spawn who run this game of ours hate that kind of stuff, and knew there would be ramifications.....

But, given that the charge laid was classed as "intentional", does that not suggest that Joey knew he was injured, and how badly he was injured??

So how was Joey supposed to know he was injured, he is a footballer, not a doctor. Even the real doctors sent Curnow back on, so they didn't even know how injured he was.

I think we could fight this on a technicality - get the charge downgraded to negligent rather than intentional. It's probably not enough to see him play this week, but might make a difference with carry-over points, future charges etc.

Ajer
Club Player

I am in two minds about this. Firstly what Montagna did was utterly stupid, what good would going up to an injured guy and bumpinig his injured arm do? Silly play and he probably deserves a week on the sidelines. Then again, what is Curnow doing coming back out on the field if injured? Is he fair game?

The same thing happened to Nick Riewoldt a few years ago when Brisbane Lions players did a similar thing. The laws have since been changed and Joey knew what he was doing was wrong. Was just a rush of blood to the head.

One thing i did notice was that Curnow took it like a man, but when our fearless captain Rooey got hit, he cried and was in tears.

spert
Saintsational Legend

So if an opposition player has say a badly bruised back from a previous collision in the game, and is on the field, and you attempt a screamer over him and make contact with your knee to his bruises, then you get reported for an un-Australian, unmanly act?

Ajer
Club Player

spert wrote:So if an opposition player has say a badly bruised back from a previous collision in the game, and is on the field, and you attempt a screamer over him and make contact with your knee to his bruises, then you get reported for an un-Australian, unmanly act?
Two totally different scenarios. What a terrible argument :lol:

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Ajer wrote:
One thing i did notice was that Curnow took it like a man, but when our fearless captain Rooey got hit, he cried and was in tears.
p**s off idiot

to come on and say that is an insult to roo and the club

if you actually knew anything he was in tears later when he knew that in his first game as captain he could no longer contribute. Something you might consider here... no longer contributing

Cro
Club Player

He's not challenging it.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

[quote]The St Kilda Football Club will not be challenging the Match Review Panel’s one match suspension of Leigh Montagna.

The Saints midfielder said that he accepted the suspension, having apologised to the Carlton player involved directly yesterday morning.

“It was definitely not my intention to cause any further distress to Curnow when I checked him while moving towards the contest (boundary throw-in).â€

Ajer
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
Ajer wrote:
p**s off idiot

if you actually knew anything he was in tears later when he knew that in his first game as captain he could no longer contribute. Something you might consider here... no longer contributing
Calm down chief, i didnt mean anything by it, it was just something i noticed.

Anyway, crying about no longer being able to contribute for a few games is worse imo. Could you imagine captains like Jon Brown, Chris Judd or tough men of the past like Plugger, Dermie etc having a cry on the bench after getting injured?

Anyway, this thread is about Joey, lets not go down this path please.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Ajer wrote:[Anyway, this thread is about Joey, lets not go down this path please.
says the fool who took the thread down this path. :roll:

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Ajer wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Ajer wrote:
p**s off idiot

Anyway, crying about no longer being able to contribute for a few games is worse imo. Could you imagine captains like Jon Brown, Chris Judd or tough men of the past like Plugger, Dermie etc having a cry on the bench after getting injured?

no lets go down this path

you bring it up and I come at you , you tell me to calm down and then in the next paragraph tell me how weak he is again

crying and toughness have nothing to do with each other

if you think been tough means not crying then I believe you have a very limited view of the world

Ajer
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
Ajer wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Ajer wrote:
p**s off idiot

no lets go down this path

you bring it up and I come at you , you tell me to calm down and then in the next paragraph tell me how weak he is again

crying and toughness have nothing to do with each other

if you think been tough means not crying then I believe you have a very limited view of the world
Your wrong, but each to their own :)

Not lets get back to the topic at hand, this is a fruitless argument.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Cro"]He's not challenging it.[/quote

Good cause they have no idea how to fight the tribunal.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

kosi's a bit of a dill..thankfully.....wrong shoulder...otherwise he would have got the same as joey

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Contact between St Kilda’s Justin Koschitzke and Carlton’s Ed Curnow from the first quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. The panel said that no contact was made by Koschitzke to the shoulder region that Curnow had previously damaged during the quarter. No further action was taken."
That is extraordinary.

So the rule includes an 'injured' player, deemed fit enough by his club doctors to come back on? So if Kosi did hit his shoulder, regardless of the fact his club declared him fit enough to return to the field - Kosi would have got weeks??

Come on.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
That is extraordinary.

So the rule includes an 'injured' player, deemed fit enough by his club doctors to come back on? So if Kosi did hit his shoulder, regardless of the fact his club declared him fit enough to return to the field - Kosi would have got weeks??

Come on.
Why are you surprized?
Isn't that exactly what Baker got for doing to Johnson who was sent back onto the field last year?

Ajer
Club Player

I might be wrong, but i understand Montagna got 1 week and the extra week came because he had 93 carry over points or something.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
That is extraordinary.

Come on.
Why are you surprized?
Isn't that exactly what Baker got for doing to Johnson who was sent back onto the field last year?
Spot on.. It comes back to the Baker incident last year even though Stevie J actually came into the game "injured" he coped a week for hitting his "injured" hand...